PDA

View Full Version : Using a sap pump to pump syrup?

DaveB
10-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm wondering if it's possible to use a sap pump to pump syrup from drums for repacking. I find myself repacking purchased drums and it's a bit tedious manually pumping out 30 gallons of syrup. I have a sap pump and my wife asked me the other day why I can't use that to empty the drums. I wasn't sure, so I thought I would ask the guys here.

I know I can use a by-pass on a filter press, but I don't own one yet. Maybe next year. But what about a pump I use for pumping sap? FYI..any repacked syrup is hot packed.

Thanks,

Dave

sapman
10-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Seems like the syrup would be too viscous, unless it was already heated up some. Don't think I would try it. Can you somehow get the barrel up onto some cribbing, after putting a valve in the bunghole, and let it flow out by gravity? I know one producer/packer that transfers his syrup this way, with the right dolly.

Tim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Filter press.

Haynes Forest Products
10-19-2008, 09:55 PM
I second the filter press idea. If your repacking bulk syrup and not refiltering it what temp are you bottling it?

Jim Brown
10-20-2008, 06:56 AM
If you have a small air compressor there is a third option.
Take a plastic bung out of a barrel most have a thread in the outside center. cut the center out but don't damage the threads.
thread a barbed adapter in from the outside and connect to a piece of clear flex hose4-5 feet long.
On the inside glue and thread a 3/4 collar over threads you have sticking through the bung on the inside.
Cut a piece of 3/4 pvc long enough to reach the bottom of the barrel when the bung is screwed into the drum.
cut two or three grooves in the end of the pipe so the syrup can flow when the plastic is on the bottom of the drum.
Take a nipple that will screw into small bung of the barrel and add a valve and a quick connect for the air compressor.
Screw the drop tube into the large bung-screw the valve and connection into the small bung-add just enough air pressure to make the syrup flow but not too much to make the barrel 'bulge'.
and you can empty a barrel in no time and there will be about a quart or two in the bottom you will have to dump out
I built one for us after seeing one that was a commerical built.
Hope this helps

jim

maplecrest
10-20-2008, 09:11 AM
drum cradle is the way to go. strap a drum to it and tip it up. northern as them for 79.00. on page 330 in catalog. got mine at fastenal.no power or moving parts.need screw on valve to pour into pail.

DaveB
10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I second the filter press idea. If your repacking bulk syrup and not refiltering it what temp are you bottling it?

We reheat the syrup to around 190 being careful not to let it get above (or much above) 200 so as to not resuspend the niter. I have several 2.5 gallon pots that we reheat the syrup in. When it reaches temperature, I pour into a brand new (never used for coffee) coffee pot that holds 4 gallons. We fill our containers and by the time it's empty, more syrup is ready to go in. It's a two man operation, but it's goes quickly. I have a thermometer in the reservoir to make sure that it's always above 180 and it is.

Next year we're getting a filter press. Right now it's double gravity filtered and it comes out pretty good. I have a lid that fits over my filter can that creates a vacuum because it's hot. That sucks it down real good!

Dave

DaveB
10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Can I put a valve on the small opening on the drum? There are two bung holes, one large and one small. I can put the drum on it's side and just open a valve and let it drain into a collection container for reheating.

Does anyone know if this is a standard size opening? Is it 3/4 or 1"? I'd measure, but I wouldn't know if it's close or a standard opening. I can get a brass valve at a hardware store, but I'd like to know if that would work.

Thanks,

Dave

lpakiz
10-20-2008, 07:19 PM
DaveB
Yes, both bungs are NPT (Standard National Pipe thread) The large one is 2 inch NPT and the small is 3/4 NPT. Valves, nipples, street elbows etc. all fit fine. I suggest a 3/4 close nipple (in SS if possible) and a brass 3/4 ball valve. Use another nipple out of the ball valve to smoothen the flow.

brookledge
10-20-2008, 07:51 PM
If you want to pump it all you need is a rotary gear pump. Most filter presses use 1/2" pumps but they are available in larger and smaller sizes and they will pump cold syrup. However they have to be geared slow since the viscosity is so high.
Keith

ennismaple
10-20-2008, 09:58 PM
We use a come-along to lift the drum onto a cradle and then drain it with a valve. What we're heating for smaller containers we put directly into a 10L pot for the stove. We screw a 90° copper fitting into the end of the valve to make filling 10L jugs easy.

peacemaker
10-23-2008, 08:32 AM
i have a ?? on lines of filtering bulk barrels
how well does everyone filter the bulk barreels for resale

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Peacemaker,
All my syrup is filtered the same, regardless if it is being barreled or canned for retail. I have always used cone filters but have purchased a new filter press for this year. The Smerch at the end of the season is more difficult to Filter but with patience it can be done. It is all product destined for market and as such we owe it to our customers to do the best job possible.
If you are referring to syrup that I plan to repackage, I do it the same way.
The more sugar sand removed at each step, the easier the job is later.

brookledge
10-23-2008, 08:09 PM
peacemaker
I only re can my own bulk. I know it has been properly filtered and hot packed in bulk. But if I were to buy in bulk from someone else especially if it's someone I'm not familiar with then I would re filter it and check density.
Some one like Bascom's re filters every thing. Remember once you repack it then it becomes your liability.
Keith

Sugar Sue
01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
You are using your coffee pot as a bottler... Can I use it as a filter also? I am planning on using a flat filter or rigging a cone filter above it some how?

DaveB
01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
You are using your coffee pot as a bottler... Can I use it as a filter also? I am planning on using a flat filter or rigging a cone filter above it some how?

Hi Sue,

I guess that might work...I use a stainless colander with a flat filter and several prefilters into another pot and then into a five gallon container. I use the coffee maker for canning bottles and such. I just got it this year and it really saves a lot of hassle. I may try putting the colander on top of the coffee maker and pack the five gallon containers from there. It's a four gallon model that I got at a kitchen supply place.

Good luck with your sugaring and welcome!! This is a great place for information.

Dave

ennismaple
01-07-2009, 07:02 PM
DaveB
Yes, both bungs are NPT (Standard National Pipe thread) The large one is 2 inch NPT and the small is 3/4 NPT. Valves, nipples, street elbows etc. all fit fine. I suggest a 3/4 close nipple (in SS if possible) and a brass 3/4 ball valve. Use another nipple out of the ball valve to smoothen the flow.

We have a 2" ball valve we screw into the end of our drums to drain them. I recommend you get a 90 degree copper elbow for the end of the ball valve to direct the syrup down into the container.

DaveB
01-07-2009, 07:14 PM
After emptying several barrels the hard way and learning that the openings are standard size, I have created just such a device to empty the barrels. It was WAY smoother than pumping them manually....I figured it was a lesson learned. I'm just going to ask before I do something stupid! lol

Dave

Haynes Forest Products
01-07-2009, 08:25 PM
SugarSue I have a friend that bottles 200 gallons all for sale retail in stores and farmers markets and he runs his syrup from the filter press into a coffee pot and he bottles from there. The thing about a pot as both bottler and filter is you need to start out with hot syrup to get threw the filter into the pot. I think for a small amount of syrup your best bet is to put it into a bulk container and let 95% of the crap settle and then heat just below boiling and then filter and bottle. Keep the syrup in a warm not hot place and the sedement will settle out faster and then remove the clear syrup slowly and then filter and bottle. Say HI to Indiana for me been lost there took a right going to Michigan and ended up in Notre Dame. Broke down on the freeway near the stone quarry dang that state is flat.