PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on evaporator sizing

Bucket Head
10-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi Guy's,

Which is the better way to go? A wide width but shorter length, or narrow width and a long length? For example; 3'x8' or 2'x10', or 3'x10' and 2 1/2'x12'?

Just wondering if there was an advantage with different width's and length's.

Thank's,
Steve

RileySugarbush
10-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Here is my guess:

Long and skinny should be best for fuel efficiency. Wider and shorter may boil slightly faster for the same surface area since more of the surface is in the hotter area of the flue/firebox.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-14-2008, 09:38 PM
2.5 x 12, the longer the firebox, the more efficient in less fuel used, at least when it comes to wood.

brookledge
10-15-2008, 08:03 PM
I agree longer arches are more efficient. Once the heat turns and goes up the stack it is gone. A 3X8 and a 3X12 have the same size fire box and will burn the same amount of wood roughly. But the evaporation will be almost doubled.
Keith

Bucket Head
10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Have any of you guy's used both a long and narrow, and a wide and short rig and liked the longer and narrower one better? What did you like about it?

Anyone not like the long/narrow one?

Does the sap boil hard at the rear of the long pan's? Or is so much heat lost in the long length that its too "cool" to heat things back there?

I'm just wondering out loud here with this post. If I were to upgrade, I'm wondering if stretching my 2 1/2 wide arch for a longer pan would be better than replacing it with an altogether different and wider rig. Stretching what I have would be cheaper since I can do it myself, but if its not the best way to go, I would'nt waste my efforts.

I appreciate everyones input.

Steve

WF MASON
10-16-2008, 04:03 AM
I've seen alot of people over the years who have a 2'x6' with the two three pans stretch out the arch and plumb another three foot flue pan in the back. I'm told it boils fine. Longer is better or more efficent.

Seguin Sugarbush
10-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Go for it.We used a 4x24 for 40 years til recently.Just make sure you adjust your stack lenght accordingly,one and a half times the total lenght of the evaporator.