PDA

View Full Version : Wire Ties

Brian Ryther
10-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Wire twist on top or bottom (or side) and why?

tuckermtn
10-11-2008, 08:42 PM
the Gov had a post on here earlier about putting ties on top so that they don't hold moisture on them when it rains/snows (under would hold moisture longer)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Just curious if anyone uses the plastic ties and why or why not???

hard maple
10-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I've used the plastic ties, only because they were free.
My buddy worked at Thomas and Betts one of the companys that manufacture those ties.
I prefer to use the wireless system nowadays.

brookledge
10-12-2008, 09:34 PM
I had used black plastic zip ties about 20 years ago and found that after a few years plastic became brittle and many of them would break even though I never touched them. So I went to stainless steel wire ties made from the lashing wire that utility companies use for lashing their lines. I also put the ties up on top of the main. Although I have a few places where because of terain and height have them under. Alot of my mainlines I had to use a ladder to put the ties on the wire.
Keith

Big maple
10-13-2008, 08:17 PM
The kid from Leader said "proper installation" is tied on the bottom and just snug so the tubing can expand and contract without locking up in the ties and creating dips and dives.

brookledge
10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Another reason I like to keep the ties towards the top, is in many places as I walk to check lines I have to go under the mainline and with the twist on top I never get caught on one but if they were down chances are they will catch on your clothing.
Keith

ennismaple
10-14-2008, 12:29 PM
We used to use plastic ties but have gone away from them. They do become brittle over time and if any branches fall on the mainline they'll all snap off for a fair distance on either side. We had to shovel out a lot of our mainlines this past spring and a lot of the wire ties broke off. The wire ties should last as long as the mainline does.

Two theories on the wire ties:
- On top they seem to hug the pipe better and yes, you won't get caught walking under the mainline. They're easier to attach this way if the mainline is waist high or lower.
- On the bottom you can shovel the mainline out easier.

peacemaker
10-14-2008, 04:13 PM
i use wire ties but have also used the plastic it was for lines that i was gonna have to change and the speed of the plasctic zips was great .. i also use four season electrical tape to hold the lines up so i can go quicker with the ties ... o
now along the lines of top tie or bott why not side then both you wont get caught on them ducking under adn and u can shovel

ennismaple
10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
i also use four season electrical tape to hold the lines up so i can go quicker with the ties ... o

LOL - A big chunk of our old black mainline was attached with "4-seasons" electrical tape!!! It's still the fix-all when you're checking lines. It's good for repairing leaks, tieing up mainline and other general repairs. Kinda the duct tape for the maple syrup producer!

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-14-2008, 09:09 PM
post edited

jrthe3
10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Gov. was it orange if so i think you may have been at my place have orange tape as flags so people don't walk into it in the woods

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-15-2008, 04:17 AM
post edited

maplemas
02-19-2016, 12:31 PM
What's the easiest way to put on the ties ?I pull 20-30 off the roll at a time and find myself fighting with them to untangle. .

unc23win
02-19-2016, 12:46 PM
What's the easiest way to put on the ties ?I pull 20-30 off the roll at a time and find myself fighting with them to untangle. .

That's a good question I have tried it many ways. I sort of liked cutting one wire that goes through them (after hooking it to first one) then using the other end to carry a bunch of them, then the next time use the other wire. They can be a mess sometimes.

GeneralStark
02-19-2016, 05:01 PM
I use a tool belt pouch big enough so they can stack in a pile and pull them out a couple at a time as I wire tie.