PDA

View Full Version : vacuum regulator

jrthe3
10-09-2008, 02:08 AM
what are you guys useing for vacuum regulators

Grade "A"
10-09-2008, 05:09 AM
I don't know how many cfm's you will need but I got mine here http://www.partsdeptonline.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=117&cart_id=7760217.20769&exact_match=on it works fine on my pump. I have a Delaval pump 73 and keep the vac around 23". Its easy to adjust and is only $20.

tuckermtn
10-09-2008, 05:29 AM
same here...I think it was the Gov. who steered me in that direction...

brookledge
10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
You can always add a second one if you need to for more cfm's
Keith

PATheron
10-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Jr- The regulator on my setup was made by the guy who put it together so I cant really help you. Theron

Russell Lampron
10-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Grade "A"

That 73 will run at 23" and not burn up? How are you keeping it cool?

Grade "A"
10-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Well, I'm sure it is mostly luck so far. I use synthetic oil which seens to keep it running cooler. I also have a fan blowing on it all the time. I do back off the vac overnight, so I only run 23" when I am there and alway keep an eye on it. It does get warm but not to the point were you can't thouch it.

Amber Gold
02-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Where does the regulator go in your vacuum system? I'm guessing just as it comes out of the vacuum pump with a gauge right after it?? How do you include the regulator into your line?

Maplewalnut
02-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I connected my pump via black pipe before converting to PVC to run out to the bush where my releaser is.. My gauge is on top of my moisture trap followed by my regulator followed by my check valve followed by a ball valve shutoff. I use a T to connect with my reguator on top otherwise just a couple nipples connecting verything together

Amber Gold
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
So the regulator mounts on a threaded T? Does the regulator work by adding air to the system to achieve the desired vacuum levels?

jrthe3
02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
you want the regulator between the pump and the moisture trap so when the trat shuts down the vacuum the regulator will alow air into the system to keep the pump from burning up

yes the reg mount in a t and it work with a spring and a adj screw when the vac get higher then the set point the the reg opens and lets air into the system

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2009, 03:18 PM
AmberGold: Remember that when you talk about vacuum pumps be sure you explaing what you mean IN verses OUT it can cause a big problem if some one misunderstands. 99% of what we do is on the intake/vacuum side of the pump.

Grade "A"
02-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes the regulator lets air leak in to keep a set amount of vacuum. I have mine hook in with a brass "T" then the vac gauge then the moisture trap and on the the releaser.

Amber Gold
02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Makes sense. Thanks

I checked out the partsonline website. $20 for the part plus $9.09 for shipping. Not bad, but I was also wondering if there's a local source for the regulator.

NH Maplemaker
02-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Most any farm equipment dealer that also sell vacuum equipment for dairy. I got nine at RN Johnson in Walpole NH. I paid 1/2 of what a maple dealer in Alstead gets! He also gets them from RN Johnson's.

Amber Gold
02-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Is that Redlon and Johnson? Would Granite Group carry something like that?

NH Maplemaker
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Josh, RN Johnson's is a farm supply dealer. Tractors,bailers. mowers and such !! They also sell dairy equipment. Pumps, milking parlors, There # is 603-756-3321 ask for parts. There just down the road from Bascom's.

michiganfarmer
02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Why even use a regulator? I mean dont we want as much vacuum as we can get?

Jim Brown
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
We use a poor mans regulator we put a tee between the pump and the releaser and we hook a valve to one side of the tee ,crack the valve to get the desired vac at the releaser and let her run.
Works for us on three systems.
Our two cents

Jim

NH Maplemaker
02-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes Jim ,That will work until your vacuum get a slug of sap or your moisture trap fulls up and the pump pulls to much vacuum and burns up !! A lot of folks do use your system, But it only takes once. Been there ,done that, got the T-Shirt !!!

Jim L.

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2009, 02:35 PM
MichFarmer: Some vacuum pumps will overheat without cool incoming air so as vacuum/heat rise the regulator opens slightly cooling the pump. Its like a air compresser the higher the pressure the hotter the pump gets.
You said that you have a flood type pump that is the same idea lets in more oil that helps cool the pump. I converted my Masport from a drip to a flood and it circulates alot of oil that helps cool the pump but it does take the place of air. I wont be using a regulator. Im circulating about 8 gallons of oil thru a oil cooler into the pump and into a reclaimer and then into a storage tank and then into the oil cooler.

Amber Gold
02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks Jim. I was able to track down a local dairy supplier in Canterbury and he's got them. I'm going to head over there this weekend and pick one up.

brookledge
02-12-2009, 07:26 PM
For those that don't use a regulator and use a valve. If you set the valve in the morning, as the sap flow increases and more gases are released from the trees (air bubbles) the amount of vacuum will decrease. The larger the sugarbush the more important it is to have one to keep the amount of vac consistent. lose a few inches during the day over the course of the season and it will translate into alot of $ lost.
Keith

danno
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Do you have your regulator on the high side or low side of your pipe?

I have mine "T"ed to the underside of the PVC between my pump and moisture trap. I have had my regualtor freeze up from condensate when the temps are close to freezing. Frozen condensate interupted airflow through the regualtor causing vacuum to increase to meltdown levels.

I don't know if mounting the regulator on the high side would prevent condensate from entering regulator. Maybe? I know some guys add a 2nd regulator as cheap insurance.

michiganfarmer
02-13-2009, 06:27 AM
MichFarmer: Some vacuum pumps will overheat without cool incoming air so as vacuum/heat rise the regulator opens slightly cooling the pump. aahhhhh, I gotcha.

You said that you have a flood type pump that is the same idea lets in more oil that helps cool the pump. I only have a diphragm pump. I am trying to come up with the money to buy a flood type vacuum, but I dont have one yet.

Thanks for the info

Amber Gold
02-17-2009, 03:47 PM
There's a chance I may not get a regulator before I start tapping. I'm planning on tapping the last week/weekend of February, but work's flat out and can't get out early enough to pick it up. Can I run a Delaval pump withou it for a short period, say a week?

danno
02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Josh - unless you have allot of leaks in your system - you are going to have to introduce air in your sytem somewhere. You can put a valve in temporarily and leave it slightly cracked open to achieve the vacuum level you want.

My regulator is constantly drawing air in. If it was not, my vacuum would shoot up into the high 20's and I expect I'd fry my pump in short order. I run a Deleval 75.

Amber Gold
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks Danno. I'll put a valve in where the regulator goes if I end up tapping before I get the regulator. I can check it periodically during the day and adjust as necessary to get the desired vacuum levels.

Haynes Forest Products
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
You dont have a week to find out if it will work. My DeLaval told me within 1 hr that it wasnt happy Now I call it my boat anchor and I dont own a boat

danno
02-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Josh - don't let Haynes scare you - short term, the valve will do the same thing as the regulator, you will just need to keep a close eye on it. Keep that vacuum under 20 and you should be alright. I run mine between 18-19. I'd like to run it higher, but it was designed to run at 15 for cows and runs hot at 19" with a box fan blowing on it.

Have you gone through the pump? Mine was seriosly gunked up when I got it. The reservoir and intake line needed some serious gunk removal.

cropseyvillemark
02-18-2009, 07:29 AM
I just got one of the regulators from partsdeptonline. The male threads appear to be for hose instead of pipe. But screwing it into anything that is female hose prevents the plunger from opening. The guy at partsdept says they use them all the time,no adaptors needed or available,and that my problem is that I'm trying to screw it into pvc and not something metal. But if I strip the threads doing this it is not returnable. Any ideas?

Amber Gold
02-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Danno, no I haven't go through it and cleaned it...didn't realize they got so dirty. Are they easy to take apart and clean? What should I clean it with?

Cropsey, the regulator should be brass. If you're screwing the regulator into pvc you're not going to strip the threads on the regulator, but may strip the threads on the pvc which isn't a big deal.

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Clean it like any greasy oily car part. The important thing is the gasket it will rip easy. Not any old gasket will work it. If you dont replace with the same thickness material you will either lose vacuum or bind up the pump. Also there are locating pins on the side cases make sure that you put everything back as removed. When you pull the side case off the pukky side make sure you dont have any burs that can damage the seal.

Jeff E
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
The vacuum regulator is simply a spring loaded valve. It works by allowing air into the line if a high enough vac level is reached.

Mine is installed within a few feet of the pump, next to a gauge. Both simply in T's.

How important is it to allow they system to get air into it? My pump will make 26" of vac when everything is closed down (no air moving). This will be my first year with vacuum, and I assumed once it is running there will be enough gases from the trees, minor leaks, etc. that I don't have to use the regulator to let air in.

Any thoughts on what I should target for my vacuum level?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-18-2009, 02:08 PM
JEFF

what kind of pump is it.

RICH

Jeff E
02-18-2009, 02:11 PM
It is a SIHI oil bath liquid ring pump, with a vacuum powered oil circulation to a 'Modine' type cooling unit.
See photo in 'Sugar house' album of photobucket.

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2009, 03:08 PM
There is that fine line between running with as high a vacuum as possible and still getting enough air into the pump intake to cool the unit. Im not sure what the unit of mesurement is.......warm, hot to the touch, really hot, spit sizzling hot, Paint is changing color hot, its making alot of noise and the ground around it is steaming hot....HOT and last but not least IT CAUGHT FIRE AND MELTED TO THE GROUND HOT
Im still waiting for someone to put a temp probe in the oil and share Ill do it in March when im suckin sap. would a flue temp guage work the magnetic kind.

Russell Lampron
02-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Josh you should only have to take off the cover on the reservoir to clean out what is in there. I cleaned the pump head itself when I had it and using the ATF in it, it stayed pretty clean. There is a mesh basket in the reservoir. Take that out and clean out what is left in the reservoir after the oil is drained. There shouldn't be much sludge in there either. Use some silicone sealer on the cover when you put it back together.

Tee in a ball valve on the inlet side of the pump that you can crack open to regulate the vacuum level with until you get your regulator. Keep it around 18" or less and you won't burn it up. If you haven't installed a check valve yet you can also open the valve when you shut the pump off to keep it from running backwards.

Amber Gold
02-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I ended up getting my regulator from Grainger. There's a local store in Manchester and you can also order online. It's adjustable from 0-30" and they carry 2 sizes: 3/8" which is good for 0-15 cfm for $16.09 and a 3/4" which is good for 54 cfm for $41.90. I also got the thermal unit I need for the motor starter switch so the pump should be operational tonight.