PDA

View Full Version : Maple Caramel Corn

Clan Delaney
10-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I didn't see any posted recipes for this so I thought I'd give it a try.

I do pretty well with a regular caramel corn from time to time so I tried a test batch this evening using maple syrup and granulated sugar.

It was smelling fantastic, then all of a sudden the temperature spiked and I started getting that horrible burnt sugar smell. I applied everything to the corn immediately.

It's okay, but tastes very dark, and there's hardly a hint of the maple flavor in it. Next time: slower temp, avoid scorching.

This is why I've yet to try making maple candy....

For now, I've got a bowl full of fail to consume.

Clan Delaney
10-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Alright, so, my wife swears that this stuff tastes just like Cracker Jack. Have I just stumbled on a secret recipe? Hmmmm.

Dennis H.
10-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey Clan what was the ratio of syrup to sugar that you used to make your Maple Carmel Corn?

Clan Delaney
10-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey Clan what was the ratio of syrup to sugar that you used to make your Maple Carmel Corn?

I use this recipe, doubled, for regular caramel corn:

1/2 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 t. corn syrup
1/4 stick butter

For my try at Maple Corn, I substituted syrup for brown sugar, same measurements. DIdn't want any flavors in the brown sugar getting in the way of the maple. I'm probably right in guessing that the actual amount of sugar in a 1/2 cup of syrup is less than 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Anyone out there care to do the conversion to make those 2 equal?

Normally, I would add enough water to the sugars to make the mix sloppy, then put it on the stove at med. temp. When it reaches 250 F, I put the butter in and give it a quick stir, then wait some more. At 280 I take it off the heat and put it right on the corn. Salted corn is a must!

What I'm shooting for is actually a grainy/sandy texture on the coating, not a hard glossy coating that you usually see on caramel corn. I achieve this about half the time and I can't quite figure out how or why, though I suspect that as with everything else involved in candy making, it's all about the temperature.

I'll be trying this again eventually. I'll let you know how it does or doesn't turn out.

tyrod2
10-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Clan How much pop corn will this cover in this resipe?

Clan Delaney
10-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Clan How much pop corn will this cover in this resipe?

Dang... forgot about that....

That recipe, doubled, has traditionally covered one cup of popped corn, popped in oil.