PDA

View Full Version : electric releaser

chipa
05-30-2004, 07:48 AM
I was thinking of constructing a electric releaser. I already have some 6" plastic pipe. Anybody ever made one or have any thoughts? 2x6
190 taps (135 on vacuum)
cable tv in sugarhouse

mapleman3
05-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Chipa, I had looked into building one as well, but after much frustration on how to keep the vacuum and how to set it up correctly I went out and bought one. I ended up with a Gilles Bernard for just over 400, and it's a 10 x 36" worked AWESOMe, if you go too small on the diameter pipe it will be pumping quite often. mine would pump just over 10 gallons at each pump, on a good day that was around 10-20 gallons an hour on 120 taps.

michaelh05478
05-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Jim, Where did you buy your releaser???

mapleman3
05-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Waterloo-small .. up near you in enosburg.they were the only one that had one they could get to me the next day... for a BIG cost though for shipping OUCH... but it got me a ton more sap than no vac at all

michaelh05478
05-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Jim, Im still looking for a vacuum system....I have to call the maple guys and ask them about the ones they where selling....prices werent bad...Ill probally end up with 2 but want 1 for sure for next season........Why are the mechanical releases more than the electric ones????

mapleman3
05-31-2004, 03:30 PM
I guess there is a few more mechanics about them, the electric just has a float and switch, the mechanical has a vacuum release mechenism that moves back and forth with the float ... but I don't see the cost difference.. seems like a ripoff to me, the other thing is demand.. more folks only need a mechanical so why not up the $$ seeing they will get it!!

06-01-2004, 04:41 AM
With the electric releaser do you need to instal a water pump or does it come with one??? Parker

brookledge
06-01-2004, 06:45 PM
I have both kinds of releasers. one reason people use mechanical over electric is, freezing temps. The mechanical releaser can be out in the woods and freezing temps at night don't bother it. you may get a little ice in it at night that will cause vacuum leak in the morning but usually doesn't last long before melting. Where as the electric style needs to be insulated and heated or some other means of keeping it from freezing. some people disconect the pumps and bring them in but some times the sap runs till all hours of the night before finally freezing. If the pump does freeze and the sap begins to run the releaser will turn the pump on and burn out the motor or trip circut breaker. I keep my electric one in a heated shed i built with the tank in it also. it is insulated and i keep the temp at 38-40 and it works well. the mechanical releaser that i have works good also but on days when it is very humid and around freezing the air system can freeze up. they all have there pros and cons but thats my 2 cents worth. I still have my vacuum pump and releaser if any one is interested

Parker
06-02-2004, 06:27 AM
What are they?? Parker

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
08-21-2004, 03:01 PM
post edited

howden86
11-17-2004, 12:55 PM
just a warning i bought an electric releaser and was so disgusted withit i almost threw it in the garbage, i replaced it with an mechancil one and loved it

mapleman3
11-17-2004, 03:20 PM
I will see if this year when I move the vacuum up to the sugarhouse, if it pulls the sap all the way up there, then I will buy a mechanical next year and sell the electric... if there's no need to pump the sap to another location the mechanical will be better. I can still set up the electric as a mechanical easily, with just a flapper on the bottom outlet...and have the float just shut off the vacuum pump to release the vacuum in the tank and let it spill...I think.. I may try it soon for ha ha's