PDA

View Full Version : oil seal replacement

mountainvan
10-07-2008, 08:09 PM
I just got the old oil seal off of the shaft of my old vacuum pump. It has a spring inside and I think I found the right one to replace it with at mcmaster carr Sounds like the right thing. Am I right? Spring-Loaded PTFE Shaft Seals
Chemical-resistant PTFE is combined with a stainless steel spring for a seal that adjusts to wear, dimensional and temperature changes, and mechanical inconsistencies. This greatly enhances sealing efficiency by compensating for seal wear and mating part tolerance. Temperature range is -320° to +450° F. Maximum pressure for slow rotary motion is 250 psi; for reciprocating motion, 3,000 psi.

Graphite-Reinforced PTFE— Excellent wear and extrusion resistance in liquids, steam, and other severe conditions. PV limit (pressure x velocity) is 15,000 psi-fpm for air; 300,000 psi-fpm for water; and 520,000 psi-fpm for oil. Color is black.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Pink one would probably make it run better?

Just messin' with ya.

What brand of pump are you talking about? I suspose that you pulled the worn out seal and spec'd it up and said yup that is the one that is the replacement/after you looked it up..

Partsdeptonline has quite a few seals listed for different brand pumps, Bearings and such. Depending upon if they carry what brand you have?

mountainvan
10-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I have an old perfection pump. Same as an Alamo in all but name. I need the 1"x 1 1/4" seal, but wondering if the regular rubber one will do or should I go for the white ptfe. Black ptfe sounds like overkill.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Perfection come's into mind. I have one (perfection Vac. pump) that i showed the pirate and patent date was in early 1900's? Mine has a leak also on the shaft by the pully/except mine looks like it has a brass bushing/although it probably is a seal type if i really looked at it hard enough. The pump of mine is a Twin Piston that looks somewhat like an airplane motors cylinders coming off it horizontally and it has the base plate for the motor on top that is molded into the cast of the pump.