PDA

View Full Version : Wood Wolf Rack & Pinion Splitter

MapleME
10-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Anyone have experience with this splitter. Made locally in NH.

MapleMe

MFarmall
10-11-2008, 10:06 PM
MapleME, back in the late 80's my neighbor was trying his hand at selling a rack and pinion splitter, don't remember where it was made but think VT or NH. Not sure if these would be the same company or make.
It was very fast compared to cylinder types. Only draw back (then) was its size. Kind of small if you were splitting much over 18-24 inch wood. If had largwer it was easier to half the wood before putting it on the splitter. Either way it did save a LOT of time splitting. Heard the company did a test with theirs and same size hydraulic, the rack and pinion was done with a cord and stacking it while the other was only half way finished.
So my dad and I got some measurments of one and built one upscaled a little, heavier rack and pinion and flywheels. Spit 20-22" long and 24-30" dia. no problem. Also no gas motor noise with electric motor driving it.

MapleME
10-30-2008, 06:05 PM
not sure if anyone was following this, but I figured I would post up here I just returned home from NH and picked up a wood wolf. Did some research, talked to a few people- seems like a simple design that has been around since 1923. Its a heavy S.O.B but I will report back how she does on the wood. The demo REX industries has, has cut 300+ cords with no issues or replaced parts which is a good sign. The owner got the patten after it ran out from the company who makes a similar one in Massachusetts which was the original patten owner.
Josh

Homestead Maple
10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
These are the fastest at splitting wood that I have ever seen. They are very reliable and simple in operation. If I didn't own the "Honest Abe" that I have I would certainly buy one of these.

TapME
10-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Mapleme, I had the chance to use one of these to split wood for the wife's uncle down east. What I remember is that 2 people feeding us wood could not keep up with the splitter. If memories serve me right we did 8 cord in 5 hours. Could be off a little being 19 years ago.

MapleME
10-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Lou, if you need to borrow it just let me know. Happy to lend it out. fit in the back of my suburban...we had to get creative but it fit. Sure beat towing it from central NH to Brunswick. Ill rip in to the wood pile tommorow and report back. J