PDA

View Full Version : Another Evaporator

tessiersfarm
10-04-2008, 06:40 PM
I have decided to start from scratch for my next evaporator.

I have three pans 20" x 27" so I am going to make it 27" wide and 60" long.

On my last evaporator I put a 1/2" nipple between the two pans at the level I wanted the back pan to stay at and it worked quite well so I am going to do that again, between all three pans.

I have several 8" x 12" clay tile chimney liners and I am planning on cutting and fitting them in as fire brick.

If I do that do you think 1/8" plate will be heavy enough for the skin? I have acess to several large pieces for free.

I am planning on putting in a forced draft with angle Iron Grates.

I am going to put on an 8" flue with a copper coil pre heater, which I also did on the last evaporator and had good results.

I am looking for any Ideas or Suggestions, I have found this board extremely helpful and Appreciate your input.

Thanks

Uncle Tucker
10-04-2008, 07:21 PM
That sounds grate, I would watch out on the clay tiles, I cracked mine in my wood stove chimney and I have to line the chimney with a SS liner.
I would use firebrick.

peacemaker
10-04-2008, 07:40 PM
i used the chimney liner one year the cracked second fire there not meant for that extreme heat as far as 1/8 sure but i would sugegest for there cheap ness arch board there in 12 x36 pieces
line your firebox with them first then firebrick

tessiersfarm
10-19-2008, 07:04 AM
I was just reading a post in evaporators and I am wondering if changing my pans to 20" x 81" would be more efficient?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-19-2008, 07:07 AM
It would make it a lot more efficient than the 40" long pan because you would be using the same amount of wood to heat a pan twice as long.