PDA

View Full Version : When to run lines

wanabe
05-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi Guys,

I want to get started running my tap lines this week because Im on vacation. This is my first time with lines so Im not sure what to do. Once my guide wires are run do I just run my mainline with no manifolds or do I run the manifolds and lateral lines now also ?

Thanks Jeff

maplwrks
05-29-2004, 11:02 AM
If your wire is up and tight as a bango string, roll out your pipe, making sure it stays under the wire . You don't want it to wrap around it, as this will cause "high" spot in your line.I then wire tie it to the wire. (Pick a warm day, It will lay flatter!) I like to wait until ALL lateral lines are in before I cut in any manifolds. I use a connector w/hook to tie my lines to the wire, this way no tension is on manifold fitting.

Parker
05-31-2004, 04:41 AM
Everyone has there own way of doing it..I get my wire up and get it kind of tite then roll out my maineline under the wire start at one end of the wire and tie off the maineline to the wire,,once the line is hooked to the wire I then reef the maineline/wire combo tight together by wrapping wire around the maineline wire and tying it off to trees along the way, side to side-it does not take much side pull to make the maine line tight...once the maineline is up i do my latterals, I start at the tree at the end of the run and tie the tubbing to the tree then zig-zag down through the sugar trees till I hit the maineline and tie the tubing to the maineline. it is important to get the latteral tubing tight as you go and keep it tight SAG IS BAD ,, I will get all the latterals up befor I move on to the next step,,wich for me is instaling end rings,,get all them in then cut in all the drops,,then I intsall all the manifolds in the mainline, manifolds should be at about the 2 oclock position on the tubing to avoid the wire, then install the connectors in the end of the latteral lines making sure you put them on in the right direction,, then a little loop of tubing from the connector to the manifold THis is just how I do it,,I find I need to do one process at a time cause of all the stuff you have to lug for each process,,,,,,Good luck and have fun Parker

mapleman3
05-31-2004, 08:57 AM
And just when you think ALL your laterals are very tight and sagless.... in comes the sap to weigh them down... DARN MORE SAGS!!!

wanabe
06-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys Ill have to wait a bit because I threw my back out of wack on the first day of my vacation and have been laid up ever since

Thanks Jeff

Parker
06-02-2004, 06:22 AM
Jeff- Im sorry to hear that,,,,,Good luck and a speedy recovery!!!!!! Parker Do you have your drops all made up???

wanabe
06-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Parker,

No Idont have my drops made up yet I didnt order any drop line yet. I have all my main line and rigid lateral line but forgot to order the drop line. Would have been nice to sit here and make my drops up while sitting here watching tv with 200 channels with nothing worth watching. Think I will order a couple of boxes today at least then I can watch for that BIG BROWN truck.. :lol:

Thanks Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Jeff,

You can use the same line for you drops as you use for you lateral lines. That is what nearly everyone else does(at least I think so) :D

themapleking
06-02-2004, 07:40 PM
The best time to do all of the lines is when it's 10 degrees out and 4 ft of snow. Than you'll think twice about this maple hobby :lol:

wanabe
06-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Brandon,

Thanks for the info I thought I needed the soft line for the drops. Well this is all new to me and Im learning lots. Maybe today I can get some of the drops made up. What is the best lenth to make them Ive read anywhere from 1 to 2 feet. Also how high do you run your main lines? Ive seen them about 4 feet high but where I live somtimes theres 4 feet of snow on the ground in late Feb and March.

Thanks Jeff

mapleman3
06-03-2004, 01:36 PM
about 30" on the drop lines for length. your main lines should beas low as you can get away with at the end just above your tank, that way you can get the most slope you can

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-03-2004, 04:40 PM
I run my mainlines and lateral lines sometimes as close as 12" to the ground since I don't normally have over 6 or 8 inches max of snow during sugaring season. 18" to 2' seems to be a good height for me since I don't have to deal with snow issues!