PDA

View Full Version : Small Gravity Tubing Setup for 10-15 trees??

Dennis H.
09-29-2008, 07:21 PM
I may have the chance to tap a few trees that are in a fence row, it looks to be 10-15 single tappers.
What is the best the way to tap these trees with tubing?

I was thinking that I would use 5/16 tubing that would empty into a rubbermaid tub.

Can you use a end ring connector at both ends with the lower end of the tubing not going to a tap but down into the collection tub? Or is there better way of hanging the tubing at both ends?

PATheron
09-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Dennis- Might want to be carefull what end of line fitting you use becouse the ones like mine the sap has to go all the way around the tree and with gravity it might not be as good. I think I would go around the last tree just like you said then maybe you could run it nice and straight to the last one and go by it and maybe if there is a little tree or something there run a piece of wire around the little tree and clip the connector on it like youd use hooking to the high tension wire and then that would have the weight. Then you could just put an end piece of tube on it and run it into the tub. Just a thought. Find a hundred or two in one place and ill go on the lookout for a dairy pump and well make a releaser. Theron

royalmaple
09-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Use the end line loop or connector, run the tube tree to tree like you would normally, then on the last tree leave a piece of tube to make it to your rubber maid container and put a 5/16 hole or slightly smaller in the side of the tote and push your tube inside the tote. If you are concerned about it pulling out, take a very small hose clamp and put it on once you push the tube inside the tote. Did this before and works well.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Use a "Y" on the farthest tree away from your container, this way the sap can go either side. End of line rings are fine if you use vaccum, not any good for gravity in my opinion, just a good place for bacteria to multiply, especially if the trees are really big.

jrthe3
09-30-2008, 01:36 AM
i have about the same set up what i did is after the the last tree i took a peice of 1/4 inch hollow core rope put the tubing inside the rope for about a foot the ran it out the side of the rope then i tyed the other end of the rope to a T post that i drove into the ground that i tye my collection drum to to keep it from blowing away

TapME
09-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Just picked up a rock wall that may have 30+ on it. Now we are going to test the limits of 5/16 tubing. I know that Brandon and Matt both put more trees on it than they say you should and there results are OK. Nice grade on the hedge row too, 5 to 8%. Taps are adding up. Hope I am not hijacking the thread.

maple flats
09-30-2008, 05:53 PM
I did just what you suggest and think it works fine. If the tree at the uphill end is large use no end ring but go around the tree most of the way and install a tap(in season) and continue around to the next, tee-ed in and another if real big, then proceed to each tree. Go past the last tapping tree, tapped as usual and terminate at a non maple with a fitting that gives a non flow y for around the tree and a straight connector which would normallt be used to tap but in this case drop down to your container. I use food grade 55 gal bbls and 1/2 bbls. The half bbls need a top made to keep out unwanteds. I then drill a hole that the 5/16 tubing fits thru very tightly and normally need nothing else. Houever on a couple I had to add a spring clamp inside the bbl to hold the tube in and this never pulls out. If you are going to have 30 or more taps you need a larger collection container. I have one section with 22 taps that on a good day fills a 55 gal in 24 hrs.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-30-2008, 07:07 PM
You keep it good and tight and good slope, it will do fine with 30+ taps. Good thing about it is that the sap moves thru the lines faster vs 1/2" or 3/4" mainline and stays much cooler, way less likely for bacteria to form, etc. Even with blue or translucent mainline.

Dennis H.
10-01-2008, 05:09 AM
Hey thanks everyone for the tips, I am hoping to find out in the next few days if I will be able to go after these trees.

3% Solution
10-02-2008, 06:35 AM
TapMe,
Just remember, Matt (I don't know about Brandon) has his 5/16" on vac.
I had 20 on 5/16" and found the sap would back up the tubing, I would only get 3/4 of a gallon per tap when everything else was running at a gallon.
I put up some 1/2" mainline and what a difference!
The drops go right into the mainline, longest run is about 20' the rest are around 4' to 6'.
Just what I have done.

Dave

Dennis H.
10-02-2008, 08:23 AM
3% so what you are saying you did is run a 1/2" main the lenght of the fence row/ row of trees and then make real short laterals of 5/16" from each tree or did you tap a few trees with asingle lenght of 5/16" then connect to the main?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I have as many as 45 taps each on two 5/16" and it is gravity and each 5/16" line is aprox 700' long and I don't see any reduction in sap flow in this bush and definitely see an increase in sap quality which to me would offset any reduction in flow if there was any.

3% Solution
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Dennis,
Yup ran the 1/2", then each tree dumps into the mainline.
Got a nice free flow now, before I could see sap backed up to 20 feet in the line.
The 1/2" I got for the first set-up was water pipe, the second set-up was the stuff Bascom has and I am not that impressed with it.
This has worked for us.

Dave

Sugarmaker
10-02-2008, 06:53 PM
We have 400 taps on roadsdie trees with short run gravity tubing. I have some tricks I developed to connect and disconnect each season since I have to take it all down. Also have adjustments at both upper and lower tree to tighten the line as needed during the season. I think we get a little less sap than buckets but a lot less labor.:) All 5/16 lines at 5% grade. About 20 taps max per run. PM me if you need any details.

Chris