PDA

View Full Version : coyotes

newman_maple
09-20-2008, 10:41 PM
I am planning to put about 50 taps on my Dad's place in an area where coyotes can be heard and seen regulary. It is 1/4 mile from anyone, but adjoins my place. It is a long way to go for the sap, but will be worth it if i get set up well with my Kawasaki Mule and wagon.

Will coyotes bother sap saks or buckets or tubing? I cannot run sap lines due to the lay of the bush, but was wanting to use lines into 5 gallon buckets in places. I was hoping someone might know if I should be concerned about them damaging my lines or saks if I use them?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

fred
09-20-2008, 10:49 PM
no they wont bother them the deer and squirrels will do it

Thompson's Tree Farm
09-21-2008, 03:33 AM
We have lots of coyotes around. I don't think they pose a problem. In fact, one of their primary food sources is mice which might enjoy chewing on your plastic equipment.

Russell Lampron
09-21-2008, 05:20 AM
I have coyotes in my woods and haven't seen any damage caused by them. The deer did some damage last year because of all of the snow that we had. Luckily I don't too many squirrels around here so damage from them is minimal too.

Ahnohta
09-21-2008, 08:28 AM
There should be no concern at all. We have coyotes come thru on a regular basis and never has there been any problems. Even Timber Wolves in area that come in from our West side (Chequamegon Nat'l Forest). Only problem we have is high winds knocking some of our buckets down.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Coyotes will help keep the deer and squirrel both out, so I guess when I comes to sugaring, they can be of some good. (Never thought I would say a coyote could be of any good) LOL!

Riverdale
09-22-2008, 08:17 AM
I had a 100' section of tubing chewed into 40 or so pieces. We assume it was a canine based on certain chew marks. Bite marks looked to be the right size for a coyote, don't know for sure though. This section is up year round and is low to the ground, maybe it was clothes lined and got angry! I'd say this is a pretty isolated incident, not something I've experienced before or heard much of.

maple flats
09-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Last year I missed one section on my cleaning of tubing and I had about 200' chewed into pieces all over the ground. The dammage looked to be caused by deer based on the fact that very few teeth marks on some spots compared to what looked like it might have been the chewing plate (???) deer have instead of front teeth on top.

newman_maple
09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Sounds like the coyotes will not be a big deal, but I think I will use buckets since the deer and squirrels are everywhere.

Thanks for the information!

white mt
10-01-2008, 05:40 AM
I have big problem with coytes the are chewing the taps right off the trees and have had one prodercer in the area says the same thing. I know for a fact its them doing this as I have set up deer camera all over that area.

white mt
10-01-2008, 05:41 AM
I have big problem with coytes

Brian Ryther
10-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Post the pics of the coytes nibbling on the taps White Mtn.

white mt
10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
My pics are not of them chewing on a line only of them in the area the lines have been chewed on . sorry if I made it sound like i have a pic of them eating the stuff. but know dought it was them. The tracks lead right up to the lines and the camera has them on the way in. I will see if I can post one of the pics of the Coytes.

newman_maple
10-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Knowing coyotes do cause damage to plastic lines and taps, I will use traditional taps and buckets this year and see how it goes. I appreciate the info!

MaplePancakeMan
10-01-2008, 10:28 PM
spray the outside of the tap with pepper spray and put a nail on in the hole of the tap to make sure it doesn't get in the line. This should deter them? Or if your not comfortable with that vinegar? might do the same

jrthe3
10-02-2008, 01:02 AM
sit out there one night with a gun and some old meat and shoot them all i try to shoot at anyone i see have only killed a few