PDA

View Full Version : Wood length for a 2 x 6 Leader

briduhunt
09-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I am cutting down 5 trees tommorow and I do not have my, new (to Me) evaporator here. I am not sure what length I need to cut my wood to. If any one has some info it would be greatly appreciated. I have read in several different threads that the wood should be about 3-4" wide but I can not find anywhere anyone has discussed the length of the wood to be used in a 2' x 6' Leader drop flue evaporator.

Thanks
Brian

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Cut it about 16 to 18 inches would be good that way you have plenty of room to push it back away from your doors.

Seguin Sugarbush
09-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Your wood should be the same lenght as your grates to maximize the effieciency of your arch.If this is too long for your splitter than just half your blocks.We still cut ours 24 in. and trow the short end peices behind when we fire.Our grates are 36 in. on our4x15.

Russell Lampron
09-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I cut mine in 16" lengths but most of it is limb wood and can be up to 2' long. The grates in my 2x6 Algier evaporator are 2' long.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-19-2008, 07:01 PM
I dont think that it shouldn't be as long as your grates that is why I recommended it to be shorter as you don't want the fire right up against your archfront and doors as it will damage them later if not sooner. I have a 2x8 Leader drop flue and I cut all mine 16 to 18 inches. I have 2 firebrick lenghtwise across the front of my force air grates to ensure I keep the wood back at least that far from my doors and I try to keep it even a couple more inches than that.

Fred Henderson
09-19-2008, 08:28 PM
I cut all mine 16-18 " and that way I can push it back leaving just a few coals in the front to start a fresh load of wood. I have my doors line with 1" of ceramic wool and covered with 1/4 SS plate. I use a pipe spacer to keep from come pressing the wool. The SS plate keeps the wool from being damaged when closing the doors with the wood right there.