PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Occupation Summary

3% Solution
09-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Well folks here it is;
There was 74 replys to the "What's Your Occupation" thread and I have broken things down as listed below.

Retired ...... 7
Firefighter ....... 5
Engineer ....... 9
Code Enforcement ...... 1
Consultants ...... 5
Electrical Lineman ...... 1
Municipal / State ...... 4
Technician ...... 7
Law Enforcement / Security ...... 2
Laborer ...... 6
Construction Trades ...... 7
Mechanic ...... 3
Farmer ...... 4
Videographer ...... 1
Teacher ...... 2
Wholesale (Boiling Soda) Distrib. ...... 1
Medical ...... 1
Insurance ...... 2
Food Preparation ...... 2
Sales Rep. ...... 1
Logger ...... 3
Lawyer ...... 1
Student ...... 1

Well there we have it!
I am sure others would have plugged occupations into different categories, but this is my thoughts of what is here.
This is pretty interesting, in the fact that such a wide scope of folks enjoy the Maple Business.

So here is another study that didn't mean ****, but it didn't cost us millions of dollars anyway!!
Have a good day folks!!

Dave

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
job well done DAVE

RICH

TapME
09-19-2008, 05:40 PM
are you sure that their is no grant for a couple of million to support this study. Isn't there some kind of dying fish or how about an endangered species

Russell Lampron
09-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Dave you got alot of good responses to your survey. It shows that an activity that was pretty much done by farmers is done by a much wider spectrum of people now. My parents owned a dairy farm and the sugaring part of the farm was what paid the taxes.

Fred Henderson
09-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Dave you got a lot of good responses to your survey. It shows that an activity that was pretty much done by farmers is done by a much wider spectrum of people now. My parents owned a dairy farm and the sugaring part of the farm was what paid the taxes.

Rus, A farmer slightly older than me put sugaring in perspective with farming by saying that sugaring is the first crop of the year on the farm. I beleive that he was so right.

Russell Lampron
09-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Fred I agree. When my parents were farming the main product which provided the steadiest income was the milk from the dairy herd. The maple syrup sales were the first that were above and beyond that. Besides paying the taxes it gave them money for seed and fertilizer. They also sold hay and firewood and would put out more taps the next year if they had a bad year sugaring.

When my parents sold the farm and stopped sugaring in 1965 they had 1300 taps, all buckets and a 4x12 Grimm evaporator. I was 9 years old at the time. I was given 71 acres that were part of the farm to keep it in the family name. For the first time since I have been sugaring myself all of my taps will be on my land this season. The land that I have has been in the family since 1904.

Fred Henderson
09-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Russ, how about some pic's of the model AA doodlebug in the photo bucket.

Russell Lampron
09-20-2008, 04:40 AM
Fred I am going to add some some day but I have been too busy with other projects to dig the camera out and take some.

sapman
09-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Interestingly, I was talking to a friend/dairy farmer at church today who moved near here from a farm on the NY PA line. He said there was a dairy family near him who did some syrup, but have since gone to just making syrup, to the tune of 30,000 taps! Stevenson, I think he said is the name. With that many taps in this day would surely be a more profitable venture.

Tim

Fred Henderson
09-21-2008, 05:51 AM
Interestingly, I was talking to a friend/dairy farmer at church today who moved near here from a farm on the NY PA line. He said there was a dairy family near him who did some syrup, but have since gone to just making syrup, to the tune of 30,000 taps! Stevenson, I think he said is the name. With that many taps in this day would surely be a more profitable venture.

Tim

Yes , it would be and in the off season you can just kind of putter along work in the bush for the next year. When you can get pretty near 2 bucks a pound for grade "B" sugaring is a good business to be in.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-21-2008, 12:50 PM
I think you can get about $ 4 per pound for grade "B" at least from some of the buyers which is double what Fred mentioned. Yes, it would really be a profitable business to be in with that many times doing it full time, but who knows how long it can go on like this. Hopefully for many years, but time will tell and not too likely.