PDA

View Full Version : Tapping time?

MainelyMaple
09-18-2008, 09:28 PM
im trying to estimate about when tapping should start and how long it takes to tap all the trees. specifically 3000 taps. how many taps can one person do per day? obviously this varies from person to person and i would certainly have help but im trying to get a ball park figure to see how much of a chore tapping a 3000 tap operation would be. thanks for your input

ennismaple
09-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Depending on how steep your hills are, how spread out the trees are, how much snow you've got and how much help you have it could be 3-5 days. With a hammer man who can keep up to me I can put in 1200 taps in a day. Last year I put in 850 taps using 18V battery drills in one day on the steepest portion of our bush in snowshoes. (sounds like stories my father used to tell about getting to school!)

If you're in good shape and willing to put in 8 hard hours per day 2 of you could get it done in 3 days.

gmcooper
09-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Having an idea where you would be tapping the grade is not bad to work on. Working alone I can do about 400 in a day but that is not a full 8 hrs. With one of the boys with me we can do about 600 in 6 hrs. if all goes well. I know a few "new to tapping guys" that took all day to tap 150! New and properly installed tubing is a big help in tapping.
Mark

Russell Lampron
09-19-2008, 05:18 AM
Last season I did 100 taps in about 45 minutes because I was able to walk on the crust. The next time I tapped it took 2 of us 2 hours to tap 100 more because we had to do it on snow shoes.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Mainlymaple- many factors come into play/ due to density of the bush and such. In a good bush 750+ is a good day if you don't run into any problems. I can usually get the 500 behind the sugarhouse in 5 Hrs or slightly extra/but when i head to the woods for say another 1,300 that takes about 30 hours as the taps are scattered in small clumps and distance's between trees are way further apart.

I think this year=First i need to stay out of harms way/and start tapping a month early as trying to get in 4,000? taps that are going to be scattered this year and work a real job could be tuff if not impossible. I'm Going to schedule my vacation time so i can have most of the season off to boil and hopefully keep up.

Single man operations are always 10X harder to run as your thinking did they do it the way i told them? If you do it yourself you know it was done the way you had hope to do it.

mapleman3
09-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Sorry I moved from Sugar inn due to this is a valid thread on Tapping.