PDA

View Full Version : Fixing an evaporator leak

farmerEd
09-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi all.

How hard is it to fix a leak in an evaporator pan? II found a used Leader 2x6, haven't seen it yet, but owner reports two small leaks. The price is very low.

Can they be easily repaired? Or should I keep on looking?

maplecrest
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
depends on what it leaking. if drop flue and the front of the flues are leaking from being hit with wood dont but it. if small bros. front pan and leaking at the seems that will sugar over after a while. if rusted thru dont buy it. ask to fill with water and see before you buy

hookhill
09-16-2008, 01:49 PM
We have fixed both the syrup pan and evaporator pan with that JB weld stuff. Last year we went through 4 tubes. If the leak is where you can get to it then it usually can be fixed. The float pan was fixed with solder and scrap pieces of galvanized metal. A pan that has seen better days can be frustrating especially when you are boiling. Nothing more nerve racking than having 1000 gallons of sap and a leaky pan.

mapleack
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Stainless pans aren't bad depending on where the leak is and having the right tools. Old galvanized pans can be a lot tougher, but doable if, like stainless, you use the right cleaner / flux. JB Weld is NOT food grade, please don't use it in evaporators or any other item used in making syrup.

farmerEd
09-16-2008, 04:48 PM
OK thanks...sounds like I need more info on the type of leak and type of pan. I'll see if I can get pictures and take a closer look...

Haynes Forest Products
09-16-2008, 06:59 PM
FarmerEd
If its English tin move on to another evaporator. If its stainless with lead or lead free you can test it and (learn) how to fix it. If its tig welded stainless get it fixed BUT FIRST ASK THE SELLER IF HE GOT A QUOTE ON FIXING IT
If you want to be pissed off and mad Ill sell you a leaky english tin 2x6 LOL As mentioned if the pans have been beat up from wood slamming it can be a real bitch to start soldering and have it warp spring apart and fail so be wise and shop it around.........then hell it might be a good deal

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-16-2008, 09:12 PM
If it is a stainless soldered pan and a couple small solder leaks, Leader should be able to fix those for you without it costing too much.

the old guy
09-24-2008, 08:00 PM
I Have No Experience In Fixing Pans But Here Is What I Did To Repair A One-inch Hole On The End Of A 2 X 6 Drop Flu. I Took It To A Machine Shop And They Took A Sliver Of 22 Guage Ss And Tig Welded The Hole Shut. Don't Know What I'll Get When Boiling But Their Charge Was Considerable Less Than Shipping It To Dominion - Grimm. But If It Does Not Work Then I Still Have The Option For D&g To Fix It And Their Cost For Repair Is Not Too Bad Considering They Will Completely Recondition The Pan.

The Old Guy