PDA

View Full Version : storing a membrane

Valley View Sugarhouse
09-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I have made a pvc tube to hold my membrane in, do I just put the membrane in it, cap it and throw it in the basement? or do I need to fill it with filtrate after the membrane is in?? Thanks guys

sapman
09-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Did you use glycol and preservative when you shut the RO down for the season? I was told to use the glycol even though it wasn't going to freeze. Once those are added, I assume it's safe to store it. Why aren't you just leaving it in the vessel?

Tim

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-14-2008, 06:22 AM
post edited

Justin Turco
09-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Is there an antifreeze that could be used to protect the fluid in the ro from freezing. My "new to me" RO is sitting in the cellar. But it sure would be convenient to store it in the sugarhouse year round with an honest to goodness foodgrade antifreeze to protect it.

Valley View Sugarhouse
09-14-2008, 08:18 PM
There are glycols to use in them, it is cheaper to build a storage vessel for your membrane and drain the rest..

sapman
09-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Those who I know with ROs leave everything in the sugarhouse, membrane and all. This is how I was told to do it. Perhaps this isn't the best way? $36 for glycol seems cheaper to me than having to mess with taking the membrane out. I'm always open to different opinions!

Tim

green4310
09-15-2008, 11:53 PM
When I built my RO I put casters on it. I made a RO closet off in the corner of the sap house and insulated it with 2" foam. A small electric heater on a thermostat keeps it from freezing. I wheel it out to use it and then back in when finished.