PDA

View Full Version : Putting ninety degree angles in stack

AGR1093
09-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Seems like it would be easier to vent my smoke stack out the wall instead of through the roof. The roof has a real low pitch, it is not peaked. Will the stack not draft well if I do this?

brookledge
09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
In my opinion it will not work for you. An evaporator needs as little restriction as possible. You want the flames and hot gasses roaring unlike a wood stove where you want it to burn slow.
See what the others have to say
Keith

3% Solution
09-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Hi AGR1093,
Yup I agree with Keith, right through the roof!
It's just like your car ...... straight pipe, no muffler, no restrictions.
Gives you more horsepower!

Dave

maple flats
09-13-2008, 07:42 AM
I agree with both. Keep it straight up. Also make sure it is at least 2 times the evaporator length, sometimes even more is needed but try 2x first.

3% Solution
09-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Hi again,
I went 3X the length of my pans.
I have no problem with draft, even on a very windy day.

Dave

maplecrest
09-13-2008, 08:38 AM
are you going with a blower? if so it will work fine.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-13-2008, 03:13 PM
As long as it is high enough, it will pull fine with a 90 degree angle. I used this type of setup for many years and it pulled plenty of draft. Make it about 2.5 to 3 times as long as the evaporator arch and it will pull all the draft you want.

danno
09-14-2008, 06:11 PM
If you do go through the ceiling, they do make roof flashing for a stack coming through small pitch without a peak. I don't know if you have shingle or metal roof. I took a piece of galvenized metal roofing and put it down on the top side of the flashing to keep rain/snow from getting underneath the flashing. A separate collar goes around the pipe and fits over the flashing to keep rain/snow from dripping betwen the stack and flashing.

In order to side vent, you will need a pretty high wall to get the length of stack you need.

mapleman3
09-20-2008, 09:01 PM
What size evap and stack? you will need to be real careful as the stack could get to 1400 degs. a hazard for both walking into and temp of the wood around and above !! I have heard of sugarhouses up in flames, we would hate to hear that happen to you !

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
09-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I also have 2 nineties on my 8 inch stack seems to be ok but any time things start to turn it slows down. some day i would like to change mine to a straight shot

RICH

MapleME
09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
what size roof jack do you use with an 8" stack? is it a 10" roof jack? I know you need some space in between the stack and the roof jack, right?

Mapleme

danno
09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
The sloped roof jacks are made to accept the stack diameter. So, if you buy an 8" roof jack made for roof slope of between a 2x12 to 6 x12 roof, an 8" stack will fit through a roof jack with a 2/6x12 roof. Steeper the roof, bigger the diameter roof jack you will need.

I think must of us don't use a bigger jack, but I do. My hood is set up so that I can raise and lower it using a winch. My steam stacks simply slide up and down through the roof jacks. I use a wide collar on the stack so it covers the jack to keep snow/rain out.

MASSEY JACK
10-06-2008, 05:17 PM
What about a couple of 45's? Anyone ever try that??

Fred Henderson
10-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Seems like it would be easier to vent my smoke stack out the wall instead of through the roof. The roof has a real low pitch, it is not peaked. Will the stack not draft well if I do this?

If you fail to follow the advice given here you will always have problems.