PDA

View Full Version : I want a new evaporator - 2x6 or 3x8

farmerEd
09-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi guys.

Looking for a new evaporator, either 2x6 or 3x8. Prefer a gently used one, but may have to go with new to get what I want, when I want.

I am in Western Mass - what are 3 or 4 dealers/brands that I should be talking with?

Are any of these stocked anywhere? or are they all made to order?

Also, I have a leader half-pint, and have made up to 15 gallons per year for the last several years, but I assume as I scale up I will need to do things differently in order to make my life easier, so the question is, besides an evaporator, when you start making larger and larger quantities of syrup, what are the next few pieces of equipment you will likely *need* in order to complete the setup? (For example on my half-pint I tend to fish on the kitchen stove top which won't work if I have 100 gallons to do).

My goal is the getup to 100 gallons per year in the next 2-3 years and maybe go beyond that someday. I'd like to step up to at least 50-60 next year. I have all the trees I could ever use...

MaplePancakeMan
09-10-2008, 04:25 PM
After you seal the evaporator away....you'll probably end up needing a 10-15 gallon canner (propane heated and water jacketed prefered) a filter press and if you get really up there a vacuum bottler.

How much are you looking to spend on an evaporator?

tuckermtn
09-10-2008, 05:44 PM
If your goal is 100 gals of finished syrup, then I would go with at least a 2.5 x 8. We made 105 gal last year and 102 the year before on a 2.5 x 8. No way in heck I would have wanted to do that on a 2x6. I'm already thinking of hood/preheater to increase the GPH...and yes, a canner is key...we get by with a 16 x 16 leader.

PATheron
09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Lots of trees. Ideas of future increase in production. When I was wondering how big an evaperator I needed I went around and checked out sugarmakers in our area to see how they did things. I met this real nice guy that did syrup locally. This is his story. Always loved syruping. Started in the back yard with a flat pan running a few taps around the house. Then decided to go bigtime and bit the bullet and bought a new 2 by 6. Put out more taps. Then decided he just couldnt deal with boiling 24 hours straight anymore and bought a 3 by 8. Put out more taps. Then decided still didnt like boiling 24 hours straight and mulled over a steamaway versus ro and bought the ro. Now hes running high vac on half of his taps and going to probly put the other half on next. Now I come along and say " nice rig buddy would you have done anything different? He says " yeah, Id have bought a 3 by 10 and made the sugarhouse a little wider". I went home and bought the 3 by 10. Go as big as you can afford and afford is the key word. If you go crazy you can always get an ro. Just dont buy one so big you have to burn whole forests to run it. Decent size evap and your good for a while. Then down the road an ro and sky's the limit. Just my opinion. Doesnt mean its necessarily right. One thing I forgot to mention about my buddy. He built the shed himself and its nice. He installed all the tubing and thats nice. His averages are good and hes developed a darn good retail market and the kicker thing is he's only got one arm. He said the hard part was holding the screws with his hook when he built the shed. Thats one hell of a man. Theron

farmerEd
09-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Yes, I do want to get one that will last a while, thats why I am considering a 3x8 even though a 2x6 would be a big step up from where I am.

I don't really envsion ever gettin up into the 1000's of taps, so a 3x8, with the ability to add an RO and/or steam hood will probably last a while.

But, where are the links to places where I can price these. My budget for the evaporator is maybe $4K, could go as much as about $6K if there was a compelling reason to do so.

How much does a small canner go for new?

Valley View Sugarhouse
09-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Try the Maple Guys first, remember to support the people that bring us this site.. I am not saying throw your money out foolishly, but make sure you give them a chance if you are going new.. Used, well your options are kinda limited.

Andy

MaplePancakeMan
09-11-2008, 07:50 AM
used 3x8 3500 at bascoms, new canner 12 gallon water jacketed ( 1500) and a new filter press 7" short bank1100

for a grand total of 6100 at bascoms plus tax

Maple guys

1700 for a 12 gallon lapierre water jacketed canner ( 868 for mini canner not water jacketed)

4200 for a 2x6 new (you'd have to call them to find out used equipment its not listed on the website, but i'm sure you could find one)

1200 For a new filter press 7" short bank.

So a total of 7100 but its all 100% new and sometimes you can get some price incentives for buying more than one thing.

You can also look at craigslist i found my filter press with a canner, stand, papers and DE all for about 850

farmerEd
09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Is there any concern with buying older equipment? I seem to remember reading something about old ones were welded one way, and the newer ones another which was better, or perhaps it was a lead versus no-lead issue...

Is there an issue? Are there certain older ones that should defintely be avoided (I don't mean brands so much as construction method)

Valley View Sugarhouse
09-11-2008, 09:22 AM
older soldered pans where lead soldered, now I have lead soldered pans and I have had my syrup tested, the lead in my syrup (if any) is untraceable amounts, you should not scrub the solder joints, leave the scale on them to coat them.. The older stainless steel is not as good either, acidic stuff can pit, and actually eat away at it, I have seen some old pans that where not taken care of develop holes through them..

Andy

Thompson's Tree Farm
09-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Farmer Ed
In the Country Folks newspaper there is an ad for a 3x10 Grimm Lightning, lead free stainless pans, steam hood, pre heater, gathering tank, 200 buckets, covers, and spouts, and a 400 gallon stainless tank for $5500. 607-847-6138 (Southern NY). It sounds like a decent deal to me. Check it out.

farmerEd
09-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Farmer Ed
In the Country Folks newspaper there is an ad for a 3x10 Grimm Lightning, lead free stainless pans, steam hood, pre heater, gathering tank, 200 buckets, covers, and spouts, and a 400 gallon stainless tank for $5500. 607-847-6138 (Southern NY). It sounds like a decent deal to me. Check it out.

Does sounds like a good deal - that's probably why it is SOLD already...3x10 may have been a bit on the large size for me anyway.

moonshinemaple
09-13-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm the guy that bought that 3x10 listed in Country Folks.
As a result, I'm selling my 2x6 in the classified section. I only made a max of 40 gallons on the 2x6 but one could certainly make more depending on sap and hours in the day,days in the season

danno
09-14-2008, 06:24 PM
A 3x10 is only too big for you if you plan on adding an RO. Last year I did 400 taps (100 gallons) on vacuum on my 3x10 and would not have wanted to be boiling on anything smaller. I'm only boiling nights and weekends - and the occasional weeekday during a big run. I love boiling, but I'd rather boil 600 gallons in 6 hours on my 3x10 than 12 hours on my old 2.5x8. Ofcourse, if your gonna add an RO, you'll be fine with a smaller rig.

nitsujlobos
09-22-2008, 07:37 PM
you have any interest in selling your old half pint evaporator?

New Hope Mapleman
10-07-2008, 08:24 AM
farmer ed, I have a 2x6 used evaporator complete with bricks etc. If interested call me at 315-497-3480.