PDA

View Full Version : purchasing new evaporator

chenango maple
09-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Hello I am considering buying a new evaporator probably 2x6 or close to that size. Would appreciate any opinions as to what might be the best bang for the buck and also quality. They all look pretty nice when they`re new and shiny. Thanks everyone.

Charlie

brookledge
09-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Charlie
I would recommend that you go to your local dealer and go with the brand that they deal with. The reason I say that is when starting out or in need of help a good dealer can provide you with a lot more help that can be more of a benefit than saving a few dollars by buying somewhere else.
That being said not all dealers offer the same support and help so you need to ask around your area.
Once you have a lot of experience then I'd say dealer proximity is not an issue.
As for brands I think it is like ford vs. chevy. I have my favorite just like I do with trucks. To a certain degree you get what you pay for. I know that patrick phanuefs are less expensive but it seems many have had issues. See the post in this topic. I can't comment on them because I have never dealt with them. As for the big companies the largest is Leader.
Then ther is the issue of raised vs. drop flues I started out with a 2X6 drop flue and then a 3X8 drop then a 3X12 raised. So I have used both. I think you would be better off starting out with a raised flue as long as it comes with floats to keep the levels consistant. And make sure that which ever type of flue pan you go with it has a drain for the flues.
I'm sure others will pipe in and good luck
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-06-2008, 09:04 AM
The maple guys who sponsor this sight sell different brands of evaporators and will deliver, have good prices and will provide great customer service. Might want to look at a 2x8 vs a 2x6, not much more in price and aprox 10 more gph evaporation rate.

www.mapleguys.com

Haynes Forest Products
09-06-2008, 09:34 AM
My waterloo Small has been the most forgiving evaporator with ZERO problems. Going on 5 years and not a sign of wear and tear. had a 2x6 english tin and it was a nice size. Ill do like the 3X10. Good luck

maple flats
09-06-2008, 12:06 PM
You have some dealers not too far away. Baker's Maple in Bainbridge, Shaver-Hill in or near Delhi, and with all of the maple in the area there must be a dealer or 2 in Marathon. To start, i agree that a local dealer is nice. You might also want to get some of your things you will need from the Maple Guys. I have always gotten good service and great prices from them. As for brand I think most are good. I have had both drop and raised flue types and both were good designs.

hard maple
09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I've ran most of the rigs out there.
There all good.
Your biggest choice will be drop,raised and cross,reverse
I love my cross flow, but my next will be a raised

PATheron
09-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Charlie- Cross flow really nice. Raise flue way to go too if you can. If you have big dreams of multiple thousand taps anytime in the future get a 3 by 10 then if you go hogwild you can get an ro and do a LOT of taps. If your only going to do some hobbying the 2 by 6 is good. Seems to be the norm to get a 2 by6 then a 3 by 8 then a 3 by 10. If you have big ideas just skip the first too steps. Less moving things around. Other thing is what you can afford too, that trumps everything. No fair spending yourself into a pinch. Theron

chenango maple
09-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks to all for your input, very helpful.

Charlie