PDA

View Full Version : We`re minus one great man & syrup producer

ennismaple
09-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Not meaning to be a downer but...

Plans have changed quite significantly for us over the past 6 weeks. My father was slowly starting to recover from his July 22 heart attack. Last Friday we got a call that he had another massive heart attack during the night and didn`t pull through. It`s been a tough week.

Dad ran our sugar bush through his electrical contracting business and used his employees to help cut wood and do other work in the bush when they weren`t busy otherwise. Now my brother and I need to figure out how to carry on in the sugar bush without him. We`ve both got young families and office jobs. I live 3 hours from the farm and he is 1 hour away.

We`ve got some tough decisions to make. Obviously, our plans to expand will be shelved for a while. We need to figure out if we can tap next spring, how many taps do we put in and how long can our vacation and family schedules allow us to boil.

Dad put his heart and soul into our sugar bush and that`s why we`ll spread his ashes there. I know he wants us to continue but not sacrifice our family lives to make syrup. At least I`ve got a few months to figure some things out.

Enjoy the time you spend making syrup with your loved ones. You never know when it will be your last season together. Just as importantly, make yourself redundant and teach others how to do everything. I wish I`d listened more!

MaplePancakeMan
09-06-2008, 12:41 AM
My condolences Ennis! I'm sure you'll figure things out in time but take your time to gather yourself after such a loss. I'm sure if you need any help the trader will be here to answer the questions/give ideas.

Again, i wish you the best in your time or mourning.

Jim Brown
09-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Please know that we feel the hurt and loss right along with you Our Prayers are with you and your family

Jim Brown and family

Parker
09-06-2008, 06:12 AM
I am sorry to hear of your tremendos loss,,my thoughts an prayers are with you.......

royalmaple
09-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Really sorry to hear about your father's passing.

I'm sure it is going to be very tough for a while.
he will be watching you guys from above and making sure you are doing a good job.

maplecrest
09-06-2008, 07:40 AM
i am deeply saddened with your loss.as today this farm family celebrates its 200th year in the farm/ maple business. take one day at a time, tap what you can handle when the time is right.my dad has had three heart attacks and i try to enjoy every minute i spend with him haying, sugaring and roaming around the farm. i hope to have his energy when i get to his age.

3% Solution
09-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Ennis,
Please pass along my families deepest sympothy to you and your family.
Our prayers are with you and your family.
Your dad is not gone, as you still hold him in your heart.
You and your family do only what you can do for sugaring next spring.
Even if you downscale alot, do it for dad!!!!
I have taught my grandson how to make syrup; from tapping to eating it and there is no better accomplishment than to see this.
I know your dad felt the same way.
Just remember, time heals.
Use this board to help you, the folks here are great people!!!!!

Dave

Sugarmaker
09-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Ennis,
Very sorry to hear of the death of your father. My dad taught me to make syrup too.
Regards,
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
My dad is a help to me during sugaring time as we both live 20 to 30 minutes away from the sugarhouse in different directions and he is the closest. I can't imagine what you have been going thru and my prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time.

brookledge
09-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Ennis
Sorry for your loss. I know that my father has had many close calls with death and keeps on going at 83 and can no longer help me out in the sugarhouse like he used to. So I have to do it all myself until my children getr older.
My prayers are with you.
Keith

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
09-06-2008, 12:10 PM
ENNIS
God be with you and your family and continue on with your fathers legacy in the syrup business

RICH

maple flats
09-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. My father never got to help with sugaring, he died (at age 91) in May of my first year sugaring on a larger scale, but we used to work in the woods together. You will find that the first few times you go to do things at in sugarhouse or in the sugar bush you will have many fond memories of things your dad did and taught you. Don't be afraid to take some time to remember the things he did. Your father will guide you from above and you will do well. Only try to do as much maple as you can handle with just you and your brother. When the kids get old enough to be a real help it will again be a family effort, just 1 generation down. My prayers are with you.

H. Walker
09-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Ennis, I haven't been on here in a while so this is the first I heard about your father. You have my deepest sympathy.
I lost my father several years ago. He was where I learned to boil. Many of a late night boiling I felt he was there watching.

You are lucky that you are from Lanark County, where everyone is friends & neighbors no matter how far away they live. Don't be to proud to ask for help in this next season. I'm sure your dad will be watching over his son's as they carry on the tradition.