PDA

View Full Version : lollipops Recipe

jrthe3
09-02-2008, 03:43 AM
anyone have a recipe for maple lollipops

Father & Son
09-02-2008, 04:43 AM
In the past I've used 1/2 pint maple syrup and 1/2 pint corn syrup, cooked slowly to 300-305F and spoon or pour into molds. I just started trying 2 parts maple syrup to 1 part invertase treated maple syrup. The syrup treated with invertase acts like the corn syrup and prevents crystalization. Now the final product is all maple. Comes out alittle darker but now has a maple flavor instead of just a sweet flavor.

Jim

kirkhedding
09-02-2008, 10:47 AM
New to this, but what is invertase maple syrup?
Kirk

Father & Son
09-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Invertase is an enzyme that changes the sugar to invert sugar. High invert sugar levels are what keeps it from crystalizing and lets it turn to what candy companies call a glass or hard candy. Here is Wikipedia's definition -

Inverted sugar syrup is a sucrose-based syrup produced with the glycoside hydrolase enzyme invertase or an acid, which splits each sucrose disaccharide molecule into its component glucose and fructose monomer molecules; one of each. In practical terms measured on equivalent dissolved weights invert syrups are sweeter than sucrose solutions. However invert sugar is 85% the sweetness of an equivalent concentration of sucrose solution; inverting a disaccharide effectively doubles the concentration of sugar molecules.[1] Invert sugar's glucose is substantially more hygroscopic than sucrose, so it lends longer lasting moistness to products than when sucrose is used alone. It is likewise less prone to crystallization and valued especially by bakers, who refer to inverted sugar syrup as trimoline or invert syrup

Jim

kirkhedding
09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Is this something that you just mix in with some maple syrup? If so, were do you purchase it?
Kirk

maplwrks
09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Whoa Dad..........You can not advertise something as 100% Maple if you have added another product to it!! You may call them Maple pops,but implying to the public that they are pure or 100% is deceiving. We have a few fellas up here in VT. making licence plates because they mixed another product with syrup and called it 100% and "pure". Deceptive Marketing is already happening in this industry, let's not promote it!!

Father & Son
09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm not trying to deceive anyone. The original recipe I used was maple syrup and corn syrup and they had to be described as such. The recipe now is ALL maple syrup and that was what I was trying to say. Maybe I just picked the wrong wording. Does changing some of the sugars to invert make it not maple anymore? This I will need explained to me. Any chemists out there?

I'd like to have some more imput on this because I don't want to misrepresent anything. I'll also reword the original post as not deceive anyone.

Jim

Justin Turco
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
So what's the answer to the question? Is it something you can just add to convert to invert sugar? I'd like to try making some.

Father & Son
09-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I just pulled out and spent some time reading the notebook and handouts that I received when I attended the Maple Confections Workshops I & II conducted by Steve Childs from the Cornell University Maple Program. In Workshop II he covered more value added products including maple meringues, slushies, sugar packets, beverages, suckers & hard candies, jellies, and others, some of which we made during the workshop. When it came to the suckers and hard candies there were four recipes the literature outlined. One with 90% maple syrup and 10% honey that wasn't suggested because of the strong honey flavor. One with 75% maple syrup and 25% corn syrup. The last two recipes were listed as 100% maple with the first being 90% maple syrup and 10% inverted maple syrup and the second using 1/3 maple syrup 1/3 maple sugar and 1/3 inverted maple syrup. Mr. Childs also explained that in New York suckers made for sale and made with corn syrup, glucose or sugar other than maple sugar require a processing license from the Department of Agriculture and Markets or a food service permit from the Health Department. Suckers made with all maple do not require a processing license or health permit. Let me also quote part of one of the summary paragraphs from the handout we received on Making and Marketing Maple Suckers,

"Inverted maple syrup or maple syrup treated with the enzyme invertase can effectively take the place of corn syrup in the recipe allowing the products to be made of 100% maple syrup. This will add to the cost of the suckers as the maple syrup is more expensive than corn syrup. When setting your market price for 100% maple suckers you will have to consider the higher cost of your ingredients and the fact that they are 100% maple should be included in your promotion and signage. For more information on replacing corn syrup with inverted maple syrup and how to invert maple syrup check out the article "Substituting inverted maple syrup for corn syrup in maple value added products" in the Maple Confections Notebook."

Realizing that the New York Department of Agriculture and Markets and the Department of Health had regulated their value added products this much and still allowed the signage on their suckers to read 100% maple I felt pretty safe following the same practice.

Again, if I am deceiving the public by stating that the suckers made with maple syrup and inverted maple syrup are 100% maple, then please explain why it isn't so I won't make that mistake in the future.

Jim

jrthe3
09-03-2008, 05:24 AM
F&S where can one get this invertase and what do you do with it

ziggy
09-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Invertase is a process aid not an ingrediant, it converts the sugars and then disapears. It is used in many pure and non pure products in the food processing world and is never listed as an ingrediant.

mapleman3
09-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I use 1/3 cup maple syrup 1/3 cup REGULAR SUGAR and 1/3 cup corn syrup... I use dark syrup and the flavor is great... uses less maple syrup . I tell folks just that too that they are made WITH 100%pure maple syrup and corn syrup and sugar...... I don't "sugarcoat" my wording ... No pun intended LOL 300 deg also with constant stirring... cool just a hair in the stainless funnel dropper and boom... tasty!! Joe Mapleking taught me this years ago... my customers love them

Homestead Maple
09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I didn't see anything in Father&Sons post that he implied or was saying that his pops are 100% maple.

Father & Son
09-23-2008, 07:34 AM
I received my copy of "The Maple News" yesterday and one of the front page articles talks about using invertase to create a 100% MAPLE SUCKER. For those interested it makes for some good reading.

Jim

tyrod2
10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I made some lollipops and I am having trouble getting them out of the molds. I broke one of my maple leaf molds trying to get them out. Is there a trick to this? I would appreciate any help Thank You

Father & Son
10-03-2008, 09:12 AM
I spray mine with a cooking spray and then wipe out the excess with a paper towel. That usually works for three or four batches, then re-spray. If you wash or rinse the molds out, re-spray.

Jim

tyrod2
10-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks Jim The spray worked great. The lollipops fell right out. Thank You

Ronnie

NH Maplemaker
01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Jim, were can one find the invertase? Is it different than glucose? If so,are lollipops made with glucose not considered to be pure maple lollipops? Thanks Jim L.

NH Maplemaker
02-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Father & Son, Jim check out this web site and let me know what you think!!

Jim L.

Father & Son
03-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Jim,
No website came through

NH Maplemaker
03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Father & Son, Sorry about that! I have done some stupid thing,but rates right up there at the top!!

www.invertase.net

Father & Son
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
That seems like extremely large amounts for me anyway. I got a 2 oz. bottle off ebay and that inverted 1 gallon of syrup. 1 gallon of inverted syrup will last me a long time. The lollipop recipe I had good luck with called for only 10% inverted syrup.

Jim