PDA

View Full Version : discussion on the ALH beetle

mapleman3
08-08-2008, 10:27 AM
The Asian longhorned beetle (Anoplophora glabripennis, "ALB"), a pest of hardwood trees including maple, birch and horse chestnut, was recently discovered in Worcester, Massachusetts. An astute resident of the Greendale section of Worcester reported the sighting, and it was confirmed by entomologists from USDA APHIS-PPQ earlier this week.

The Asian Longhorn Beetle is an invasive species native to China. It was first discovered in the U.S. in New York in 1996, and has also been found in Chicago and New Jersey. The beetles cause damage by tunneling within the trunks and branches of trees, disrupting the sap flow and weakening and eventually killing them.

This pest attacks a wide variety of hardwood trees, particularly maples, and is considered a serious threat to the nursery, lumber, wood products, maple syrup, and tourism industries in our state. If it became established over a large area, it could also significantly disrupt the forest ecosystem.

The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources, and the City of Worcester are partnering with the U.S. Forest Service and USDA APHIS-PPQ to coordinate a management plan to eradicate this species in Massachusetts. First steps include a survey of the area to determine the extent of the infestation, and regulatory management to prevent movement of host trees and wood out of the infested area. Infested trees will need to be removed and destroyed, and susceptible host trees may need treatment to prevent further infestations. Trees will not be cut down and destroyed until after the first killing frost. Although this seems like the wrong thing to do, to wait any longer, but there is a reason for this approach. The adult beetles don't fly very well or very far, and tend to stay on their original host tree. Cutting down infested trees now will disrupt the adult beetles and they would tend to fly away to new host trees. By leaving them on their host trees, they will be killed by the frost, and then the trees can be cut and incinerated to kill the eggs and larvae that are still within the trees.

The Mass Maple Association was first notified about this infestation early in the week. We have been in regular communication with authorities on both the state and federal levels. As of today, federal and state authorities have established a preliminary quarantine area around the infestation in Worcester. They have started to train people to complete a full survey of trees in the area, looking for more infestations. That survey will start August 25th. A large team of USDA pest experts will soon descend upon Worcester for this project, including people who have had first-hand experience with other infestations in New York and New Jersey. Later this summer there will be an investigation of wood products such as packing materials and pallets that may be in the surrounding area, and will try to determine if any of those materials have been shipped elsewhere in the US. The infestation in Worcester is in a residential and commercial/industrial area where there are many piles of old wood pallets stacked behind industrial buildings and old mills.

What can you do? The best thing you can do as a concerned citizen and maple producer is to educate yourself about this insect pest and learn how to identify it, and the signs if an ALHB infestation. Once you know what to look for, keep a close eye on your trees, especially those producers in the Worcester area. Any infestation can be reported via this website: http://massnrc.org/pests/linkeddocuments/pestalerts/ALB_Aug2008.htm

To learn more: Take some time to read up about this pest, the following websites are the most helpful.
New Defenses Against the Daunting Asian Longhorned Beetle
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/may06/beetle0506.htm

USDA - APHIS - Plant Health, Plant Protection and Quarantine http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/asian_lhb/index.shtml

Asian Longhorned Beetle - UVM Entomology Research Laboratory
http://www.uvm.edu/albeetle/

To learn more about the Massachusetts infestation:
Asian longhorned beetle 'our worst nightmare' - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x726385459/Asian-longhorned-beetle-our-worst-nightmare

Beetles infesting trees in Bay State - The Boston Globe
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/08/08/beetles_infesting_trees_in_bay_state/\

If you have any further questions, be sure to get in touch with me.
Or
Tom McCrumm, Coordinator
Massachusetts Maple Producers Association
Watson-Spruce Corner Rd.
Ashfield, MA 01330
413-628-3912
www.massmaple.org
info@massmaple.org

mapleman3
08-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Use this thread to discuss your concerns, ask questions and get info on the dreaded beetle. Any new info we get will be posted here. Let's hope we can keep this beetle confined to a small area and destroyed asap

The main info is in the "News " section of Mapletrader.com

brookledge
08-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Jim
Too close to home especially for you. Keep our fingers crossed that it can be contained. I tried to post the email sent by Tom so that everybody on the trader could read it but I couldn't. Maybe you can.
Keith

brookledge
08-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Never mind I see it is in the news section
Keith

mapleman3
08-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Tom and I have been discussing this since it first was detected, right now it's still the first stages of an investigation. I may try to go and look at the trees maybe with a few other Board members. We will keep everyone notified of the progress. But everyone really should be vigilant and start closely monitoring their trees. early detection is the key.

ennismaple
08-08-2008, 03:03 PM
There was an outbreak of ALHB in Toronto a few years ago. I'm not sure if they've completely contained it but within a certain radius of where it was found they cut down every tree - both private and public property. Within a larger radius of the kill zone they are monitoring it and have a no firewood movement policy. It's scary what this beetle and the emerald ash borer could do to our forests!

mapleman3
08-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Asian Longhorned Beetle found in Massachusetts

The Asian Longhorned Beetle (Anoplophora glabripennis) has been positively
identified in an infestation in the Greendale section (northeast sector) of
Worcester, MA. Personnel from the USDA PPQ and Massachusetts Department of
Agricultural Resources (MDAR) inspected the site on Saturday August 2, 2008 and
discovered the infestation. The inspection was prompted by the keen
observations and persistence of a local resident who suspected the presence of
this exotic invader.

Positive verification occurred on Tuesday (8/5/08) from the authority at the
USDA Systematic Entomology Laboratory in Beltsville, MD. The USDA APHIS and
Forest Service, MDCR and MDAR have been meeting frequently with Worcester City
officials to formulate the plan for the management and eradication of this pest
population. A press conference was held in Worcester late Wednesday (8/6/08) to
announce the find. As result of the detection, portions of Worcester and
portions of the towns of Shrewsbury, Boylston, West Boylston, and Holden are
now a regulated area for the movement of woody plant material. A Federal Order
will be issued soon that parallels the state regulated area. As part of the
process of eradicating the ALB from Worcester, the movement of woody debris,
lumber, firewood, and nursery stock that could host ALB infestations will need
to be contained. This will keep the beetle from moving via human transport.
Companies that work with host material will be contacted by officials.

Only cursory surveys have been conducted thus far and the exact area regulated
would change if more infested trees are found. Organized and thorough survey
work will begin soon. The estimation, right now at least, for how long this
beetle may have been active at this location is thought to be 5 years given its
range and visible damage. Affected trees will be cut down and either chipped
or burned in the regulated area. This will not begin until after the first
hard frost kills any remaining adult beetles. To take trees down before the
hard frost risks spreading the infestation. This is a sound practice, as adult
beetles tend to stay on the same tree unless that tree is severely infested.
Once the exact details of the federal quarantine are published a link will
appear at this web site (www.umassgreeninfo.org). UMass Extension will remain
on the forefront for the dissemination of information as it becomes available.
MDAR will continue to respond to any reports of suspected new findings and the
City of Worcester has set up a ‘Hotline FAQ’ , see below:

Resources for Asian Longhorned Beetle Information in Massachusetts
o Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR)
Report ALB sightings at:
www.massnrc.org/pests/albreport.aspx
or call 617–626–1779 (Pest Alert Hotline)

o City of Worcester: Office of the City Manager
http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/cmo/beetles.htm
508–929–1300

o UMass Extension
www.umassgreeninfo.org

Ellen Weeks
UMass Extension Landscape/Nursery/Urban Forestry Program
French Hall
230 Stockbridge Rd.
Amherst, MA 01003
Tel. (413) 545-2685
Fax. (413) 577-1620
www.UMassGreenInfo.org

mapleman3
08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Mass Maple has info cards that we pass out to our members for distribution, we also put them with every jug we sell over the counter. if you would like some please contact Tom Mccrumm at info@massmaple.org and ask him for a pile of them

below is what the info looks like
http://www.desjardinsmaple.com/asian_longhorn_beetle.htm

Clan Delaney
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Tom and I have been discussing this since it first was detected, right now it's still the first stages of an investigation. I may try to go and look at the trees maybe with a few other Board members. We will keep everyone notified of the progress. But everyone really should be vigilant and start closely monitoring their trees. early detection is the key.

I heard an update story on my local NPR station on the drive into work today. I didn't hear much about how serious they think the threat is. Considering that it's been more than a month since the news broke, it just feels like very little real action has been taken.

Basically, this has me very worried. There's one way to control the beetle, right? Cut down infected trees. So, the ALH has the ability to be devastating to two industries: lumber, and maple sugaring. Do those two groups have a powerful enough voice to make everyone else take this as seriously as we are? I want to be optimistic, but I don't think so.

For example: Are there real consequences for those caught breaking the quarantine? Fines? Or worse? And is the general public in the area of the current infestation even aware of those consequences? Or how serious the threat is? I'm willing to bet no, because it doesn't even remotely affect them. The worst it may ever affect them is the state cuts down an infected tree in their yard and they complain about the aesthetic loss. For maple producers it's a loss of years of future income, and in investments already made.

I'd been debating whether or not to go all in this year with an investment of a couple grand on an evaporator that I could be happy with for at least the next 10 years. Then I hear that news piece this morning and wonder what the chances are that I'll even have maples to tap in 10 years.

mapleman3
09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Pat, your points are spot on !! this is why the word has to go out!
As we speak(or type) I am making a poster board with info on the beetle for the Big E
The DCR I am pretty sure has info sheets they are passing out there too. I have not talked with them yet though, I will soon.

I know the City of Worcester as well as surrounding communities are keeping close eye on the quarentined area. what happens if someone breaks that?? i don't know.. but I will find out for you.

I wouldn't give up hope on the Maple industry just yet. fortunately it seems that the spread is somewhat slow enough in an area that they may be able to "catch up"? the beetle stays with it's host tree as long as possible unless disturbed for some reason, they don't fly as well as other beetles, thats the reason for waiting for the killing frost though, so the chance of them flying away to another area doesn't happen. cut the tree when they (beetles) are dead and the eggs/larvae are in the infested tree to be destroyed.

We have so much more to learn about this pest, Hopefully what will happen just like with so many new species are that some other insect/animal or bacterial parasite will see this bug as it's next meal and like it... then the natural chain of events will happen... predator kills of prey!!! One can only hope for that. And how long will nature take to figure it out???

GET THE WORD OUT Mass maple has over 20,000 cards for passing out with your next sale or have a stack in your sugarhouse to pass out....

Email info@massmaple.org and ask for a pile of them!!!

Clan Delaney
09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, so I hate to do nothing but complain. It's not productive.

I do have some questions... ennismaple - when you say they cut down every tree. do you mean every tree? Even saplings? Do the beetles attack maples of any age, or just older ones. Would/could they infest a sapling with a trunk I could wrap my hand around? And if not, would trees of this size be allowed to stand if a purge was done?

What I'm thinking is that it wouldn't be a bad idea to transplant some maple saplings to my yard in the event that we might lose the old trees. Sure, they wouldn't be ready to tap for, what, 30 years? But at least I'd have some.

What's the saying? Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

mapleman3
09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Pat I think I see a new future for you!! you have great questions, Research is what we need, the links that are on the main news page for the ALHB have some great infos. I have gone thru a lot of them and there is so much to learn. but also I think because it's still new(less than 15 years here in the americas?)they do think it's been 3-5 yrs in worcester area) they are still learning and finding out new info on it. I will have to dig in there to see if sapplings or small trees are affected. I would think they would want more protection in the larger trees and also a better food source. who knows

Clan Delaney
09-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Pat I think I see a new future for you!! you have great questions, Research is what we need, the links that are on the main news page for the ALHB have some great infos. I have gone thru a lot of them and there is so much to learn. but also I think because it's still new(less than 15 years here in the americas?)they do think it's been 3-5 yrs in worcester area) they are still learning and finding out new info on it. I will have to dig in there to see if sapplings or small trees are affected. I would think they would want more protection in the larger trees and also a better food source. who knows

At least we're not up against a tree disease, like dutch elm, or some kind of fungus. You say they think the beetle's been in the Worcester area for almost 5 years? Any info on how large an area is affected, or are they still investigating?

ennismaple
09-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Okay, so I hate to do nothing but complain. It's not productive.

I do have some questions... ennismaple - when you say they cut down every tree. do you mean every tree? Even saplings? Do the beetles attack maples of any age, or just older ones. Would/could they infest a sapling with a trunk I could wrap my hand around? And if not, would trees of this size be allowed to stand if a purge was done?

What I'm thinking is that it wouldn't be a bad idea to transplant some maple saplings to my yard in the event that we might lose the old trees. Sure, they wouldn't be ready to tap for, what, 30 years? But at least I'd have some.

What's the saying? Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Delaney - I don't know all the details - it occurred on the other side of the city from me and I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. I doubt they cut down sapplings. The beetle is not that small so it would be unlikely to infect a small diameter tree.

mapleman3
09-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I have a few links here for you, and I copied an article about the fines for not adhering to the quarantine issue.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=BEETLES

http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/cmo/beetles.htm

The article below shows that they mean business! as far as NPR's not thinking much is being done? read through the paper the links send you, they are about as thorough as they can be at this point.

WORCESTER— The Massachusetts Asian Longhorned Beetle Cooperative Eradication Program has put businesses that deal with trees, plants and certain wood products within the quarantine zone on notice that it could slap fines on any that violate regulations prohibiting transporting such items out of the area.

The regulations are intended to limit any further inadvertent spread of the invasive and destructive beetles.

The eradication program has sent letters to nearly 1,000 nurseries, landscapers, construction companies, tree removal services, firewood dealers and other businesses that might do business within the 33-square-mile quarantine zone, which covers parts of Worcester, Holden, Boylston, West Boylston and Shrewsbury.

Karl R. Smith, an arborist and owner of Trees Unlimited in the city, said he hadn’t received the letter but had been told by a U.S. Department of Agriculture official Wednesday that the quarantine zone regulations would be strictly enforced.

“I had a meeting with USDA, and they’re saying that anybody working in the contaminated area is going to have to be certified and have stickers on their vehicles, and anybody who’s not complying is going to be fined,” Mr. Smith said.

The two-page letter mailed to businesses this week notifies them that the eradication program will “conduct compliance surveillance within the regulated area” and that “fines can result if businesses are not in compliance.”

The amount of the fines weren’t disclosed in the letter, and officials contacted about the fines didn’t return calls by press time.

The eradication program, which is led by the USDA and includes state and city officials, also opened a disposal and processing center in Worcester yesterday for tree companies and other businesses working in the quarantine zone.

The roughly 2.5-acre facility is located in a parking lot and grassy area off Ararat Street near Frontage Road. The property is owned by Saint-Gobain, which agreed to allow the eradication program to use it as a disposal center, said City Manager Michael V. O’Brien.

The disposal center is not open to residents, and businesses must send employees to a two-hour workshop to be certified to use the facility on a regular basis, officials said. Businesses that are not certified will be required to apply for a permit each time they wish to drop off regulated items at the center.

Two-hour certification classes are scheduled to be held at Worcester Technical High School’s Fuller Auditorium next week on Wednesday and Saturday. Additional classes will be held later, officials said.

Businesses have been instructed to use their own equipment at job sites in the quarantine zone to chip up trees and limbs from host trees — hardwoods susceptible to Asian longhorned beetles. However, businesses are being told to bring any large host trees or stumps that they can’t reduce to chips no larger than 1 inch by 1 inch to the Ararat Street disposal center for processing, officials said.

The facility eventually will be one of two locations in the city where infested trees, and perhaps vulnerable host trees, will be ground down to the consistency of mulch by industrial wood chippers.

Mr. O’Brien, the city manager, said hours of operation will be limited to reduce the impact of the noisy machines on people who live nearby.

“We’ll make sure that we’re sensitive to the neighborhood and also to the needs of Saint-Gobain,” he said.

The prohibition against taking certain things out of the quarantine zone includes live beetles, firewood, green lumber and live plants, including nursery stock, as well as dead plants and clippings, according to the letter. Also regulated are logs, stumps, roots, and branches and twigs from a number of host tree species, including maple, horse chestnut, mimosa, birch, ash, sycamore, willow, mountain ash and elm.

Arborist Joseph J. Dillon, who owns Dillon Tree Service in Shrewsbury, said he had no problem complying with the regulations on any work he may do in the regulated area, but he wasn’t so sure about part-time, home-based tree trimmers who take a few jobs here and there to make extra money.

“You’ve got guys who do trees on weekends. They cut it up and give it to a friend for firewood. Maybe they take it down to the Cape,” Mr. Dillon said.

“Some of these chippers aren’t set right, and they don’t chip the tree properly,” he added. “If your blades are dull, they’ll shred the tree, but not chip it right.”

Mr. Smith, the Worcester arborist, said that while he shouldn’t be unduly inconvenienced by the new regulations, the Asian longhorned beetle already is having a profound effect on his business.

“People are calling and canceling jobs because they think the city or state is going to come take their trees out. They were trees we were going to be pruning, but people are assuming the trees will be removed because they’re host trees,” Mr. Smith said.

USDA and city officials have stressed that no decisions have been made on which trees, if any, other than infested ones, will be cut down to eradicate the destructive beetles here. In other places where the beetles have been found, healthy host trees as far away from an infested tree as a quarter of a mile were cut down as a precaution.

If it comes to that here, Mr. Smith said, he hopes to regain some of the work he’s losing now by contracting with the eradication program to remove host trees.

“But I’d rather not have that work,” he said. “I’d rather the beetles not be here at all.”

ennismaple
09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Here's the link for the ALHB regulated area in Toronto:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/pestrava/anogla/asialonge.shtml

mapleman3
09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Here is a very good presentation, really shows everything about the beetle, the photography is excellent.

http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/cmo/pdf/ALBPresentation.pdf

mapleman3
09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
check this presentation out.... it's fantastic

http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/cmo/pdf/ALBPresentation.pdf

markcasper
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I believe I had read at one time that its anything over 1 inch. LUCKILY, ALB doesn't spread as fast as the emerald ash borer for which that darn thing has showed up in Wisconsin now. Its not a easy thing for any of us, no matter where you live. With the mass transit just about every place, I always fear of waking up every day to find out they found it at XYZ.

The ALB was found in Chicago several years ago and for all I know they believe that it has been fully eradicated there. Thats not to say that it isn't in another location just waitint to be found.

I am investing $20,000 + this year, so I know what your talking about. Its not a good feeling, yet I think I am safe for at least 10 years.

Valley View Sugarhouse
09-12-2008, 08:30 AM
This is one nasty critter, after talking with a couple foresters about this, the confirmed my worst nightmare. If this was to spread north to VT NH, Maine, it could destroy the whole Maple industry for 60+ years. Lets hope that the quarantine works..

brookledge
09-12-2008, 09:12 PM
The scariest part about it is if they figure the beetle has been there about 5 years, how many city folks that go camping or have 2nd homes in the country that potentially could have already spread the alh beetle to other parts. You just don't know.
I would hope that the usda and state agencies involved would do alot of questioning of the residents in the Q zone to see if by any chance they have taken fire wood or palletts to another location and then go to that area and look for signs.
Keith

Clan Delaney
09-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I just got to thinking, since I'll be going to a wood fired evaporator this year and am in the process of scrounging up all the free wood I can get... what's my first resource? Craigslist. I check the "free" section for Western Mass daily to see if anyone is giving away anything burnable. People are always giving stuff away.

Well, what about people in the Worcester area? I looked.

I won't post everything I found here, you can see for yourself (http://worcester.craigslist.org/search/zip?query=wood&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max).

I did find this, though, which suggests we aren't the only ones taking this seriously:

wood Holden st Worcester

Reply to: sale-830835572@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-09-06, 11:06PM EDT

This guy post free wood on Holden St in Worcester.
He is in the ALB RESTRICTED ZONE.
Some people just don't care about the enviornment.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 830835572

I've started going down the list, emailing people who may be in the quarantine zone, and providing them with links to more info.

mapleman3
09-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Any help like that is good Pat. I just watched a DVD on it that I got from the USDA. There are many informational items going around at the agriculture exibits and booths at the BIG E, I was very happy to see how they are taking this seriously. they have displays and are handing out as much as they can. As I work at the booth I have talked with many people from the worcester area that are either in the ALHB Zone or know someone there. it's on everyone's mind that comes by. I made a poster board and have it as the first thing you see when you come to the Maple Booth and many people read it and shake their heads then ask questions and any info we can hand them.

It's disturbing to see the Craigslist stuff and now I will look at those ads also.
Thanks for the heads up on them.

Clan Delaney
09-30-2008, 10:49 PM
New news I heard this morning: more beetles were found in Worcester outside the quarantine zone. It's now been expanded to include all of Worcester, and parts of the surrounding towns.

Links to official news sources:
Worcester Telegram and Gazette (http://www.telegram.com/article/20080930/NEWS/809300389/-1/BEETLES)
North Adams Transcript (http://www.thetranscript.com/manews/ci_10598599)
WBZ NewsRadio 1030 Boston (http://wbz.com/Beetle-infestation-of-Worcester-worsens/3052285)

Link to new Quarantine Map (PDF file)
Link (http://worcesteria.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/regulated_area_alb_092808.pdf)

brookledge
10-01-2008, 06:59 PM
That's what scares me the most is as time goes on how many other areas will be identifed. I would hope that all or as many of the land owners or resisdents in the affected neighborhoods are questioned thouroughly to see if they may have taken wood in the past to another location. If they have been there for approx. 5 years who knows if someone took some of the wood to there camp 2 or 3 yrs ago, unknowingly have spread it.
Keith

mapleman3
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah if you ask me, that's already happened, I'm sure someone has moved wood from there before the break of the news.... Which means they will not find all of them before the killing frost and to kill the pupae,therefore next summer they will be out. this thing isnt going away very soon.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-07-2008, 06:30 PM
ALB Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt4LEWiXu3U&feature=related

Clan Delaney
11-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Reports of 3 different companies having violated the ALB quarantine in Worcester. One of them actually took classes, got certified to operate in the zone, and still violated the quarantine. Greed, it would seem, is not the sole province of Wall Street.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20081126/NEWS/811260556/1006/rss01&source=rss

peacemaker
11-28-2008, 07:06 PM
the china men did it they planted them buggers here then went back and planted maples u know there plan destroy our trees then take over the producing of syrup ....

Valley View Sugarhouse
11-28-2008, 07:11 PM
lol the fines are a joke.. say he carried 4 maple vaneer logs out, and got caut with 2, he's still ahead of the game... If they really want to enforce these laws they need to make stiffer penalties, like mandatory 1 year in jail, 50k in fines, and loss of arborist licence for life... oh baby look out, he can't work in the quarantine zone, could get 1000 in fines and a few months in jail?? that equils to 200 fine, and a slap on the wrist for the first offence...

What a f in joke...

Clan Delaney
01-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Here's a few more recent news stories on the ALB. I heard both on WFCR, my local NPR station. The first (http://www.wfcr.org/field_notes/animals/090105_FN_ASIANlong-horned.mp3) talks about the eradication efforts in Worcester. The second (http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wfcr/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=1444182) focuses on efforts since the ice storm.

Both are audio stories. You can listen to them while you browse!

Clan Delaney
09-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Found this info today on the Edible Pioneer Valley website. See it for yourself HERE (http://www.ediblepioneervalley.com/content/index.php/component/option,com_jcalpro/Itemid,78/extid,65/extmode,view/).

What: Volunteers are desperately needed to participate in an Asian longhorned beetle tree survey. ALB is an invasive wood-boring lest that has devasted Greater Worcester. While ALB has not been seen in Massachusetts outside of the Worcester area, Springfield is one of several locations within the state where a combination of industrial areas and forested parkland could put it at higher risk for an infestation. Because of this, the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources is working with the Springfield Parks Department in an effort to survey the city's trees, while at the same time taking the opportunity to teach residents to recognize ALB and the signs of ALB tree damage.

When: Saturday, Sept. 26th, 10am-11:30am!

Where: Meet at Gus & Paul's, a cafe located at 1209 Sumner Ave., for a brief training session to learn what ALB tree damage looks like and what trees they attack. After that, we're heading over to survey the many potential host trees that line the side streets off Sumner Ave.

How: Register in advance and get a free ALB t-shirt! Call or email Jennifer Forman-Orth at the Department of Agricultural Resources, Division of Crop & Pest Services with any questions at 617.626.1735 or Jennifer.Forman-Orth@state.ma.us.

Bring good walking shoes, some water, and binoculars if you have them (we'll have some to share too).

SeanD
07-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I just posted this in the MA thread, but realized this is the better place for it. Sorry for the double post.

They just discovered 6 infested trees right next to the Arnold Arboretum. They already removed the trees this morning, but it's pretty frightening that the infestation jumped so far, so fast. How did that happen? This is a scary bug.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...longhorne.html

Sean

3rdgen.maple
07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I read an article that they found signs of them in NY as well but very limited. Not good no matter where you are. Ill have to dig back and find the article and post it if.

red maples
07-06-2010, 01:01 PM
yes scary things...We all have the pine sawyer... I hate those too every time I see one I have to do a double take and check it out!

How did they get there? thats an easy one look where it is. they had to have come from some type of shipping container/pallet!!!. I don't believe thats a jump at all.

3rdgen.maple
07-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I know in NY there are some strict laws on transporting firewood and how far you can actually haul it from its original location because of the ALB. I think its like 50 miles max. I was also told by our local building inspector that we can not transport or bring in any ruff cut lumber to build with unless it has been kiln dried for fear of invasion. He couldnt answer me when I asked if we could use rough cut of our own land though.

mapleman3
07-07-2010, 01:20 PM
EVERYONE..... EVERYONE , should be on high alert right now... this is the best time to see them in the trees walking around. they have emerged from their holes and are mating. get out and check your trees, your neighbors trees. each Association should have a task force out looking. Ma. has a huge ALB tracking community now, many groups out there also learning how to tell the signs.... it's not IF the ALB will be sighted in your area... it's more like WHEN !!! there is no way unfortunatly that other places dont have them... lets just hope they can stop them.... Also the pesticide application they are using should be clearly marked on threes by a tag... anyone even remotely near a quarentine site SHOULD NOT tap trees... just in case a tree is treated BUT NOT marked as so. DON'T take any chances.

Acer
07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
alb sucks.

Am I the only one that is wondering how an alb can survive a zillion mile trip in packing crate wood but supposedly cant survive in chips?

D

DrTimPerkins
07-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Am I the only one that is wondering how an alb can survive a zillion mile trip in packing crate wood but supposedly cant survive in chips?

Some packing crate material or dunnage (wood pieces used to pack around cargo to prevent it from moving) can be fairly sizeable.

Supposedly the size of the chip (max 1" x 1" by 1" I think I heard at one time) is small enough to ensure that all ALB larvae are destroyed, or if the larvae are very small, the chips are not large enough for them to complete their life cycle. Generally the chips are burned/incinerated afterward.

red maples
07-07-2010, 08:07 PM
from the video at the our annual NH producers meeting the pieces are too small for them to move through and have exposure to the outside element s and also when the wood chips which are to be 1/2 "x 1"x1" if I remember correctly and are piled up and they start to decay the natural heat it produces kills them. thats why all wood used for pallets, Crates, what ever for shipping needs to be heated in a kiln before it can be used for that purpose...so I am told anyway.

red maples
07-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Also the pesticide application they are using should be clearly marked on threes by a tag... anyone even remotely near a quarentine site SHOULD NOT tap trees... just in case a tree is treated BUT NOT marked as so. DON'T take any chances.

2 questions...

1 how is the pesticide administered? is it a spray or do they inject it right inot the tree?

2 If a tree is treated, how long is the recommended time to wait before it can be tappped again?

southdevonbeef
07-08-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm always looking at the trees for ALB on Ft. Drum. When I was in Afghanistan none of the wood that we used was made in the USA or Canada. We had truck loads of wood material, most of which I'm sure was made in China. Other then plywood it was all rough cut and none of it was kiln dried. After our rotation we packed all of our stuff into contaniers using all rough cut lumber(produced in Asia) for bracing loaded it up and sent it all back to the good old USA. When units get back to Ft. Drum and unpack all that wood gets thrown out. I've seen piles the size of 2 car garages. Customs inspection in country is a joke. When containers are opened after return the amount of rocks and soil etc... that falls out of them is hard to imagine. What are the odds that after 9 years of units coming and going that the ALB was not in at least one piece of that rough cut lumber?

red maples
07-08-2010, 07:44 AM
OH I am sure that is true, which is really bad and more should be done to enforce this but. Especially since the majority of our products come form other countries. You would think there would be alot more pest infestation in california because of their big ports coming from asia across the pacific.

I always look at my trees when ever I am in the woods as well. Especially if I have some that happen to drop leaves early or have a little decline or in generally weaker trees for what ever reason.

brookledge
07-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I know that the campground i went to over the 4th handed me a flyer when I checked in saying it was illegal to bring wood in or out. Well they were not really enforcing it. Iknow it will cost them more to inspect every vehicle coming in, but I wasn't even asked if I brought any wood other than the flyer. I didn't try to bring my own but I'm sure some did.
It sure makes it so the campground can make a killing on selling small bundles
Keith

red maples
07-09-2010, 07:52 AM
I don't bring wood anymore..I did years ago ago only because thats what you did. Now I ususally find the road side camp fire wood stands they usually on the same road as the camp grounds. and what ever I have left I leave it for the next guy. The camp ground probabbly takes it re-sells it but I'd rather just leave it there!!!

I practice this reguardless of the rules. I don't want to bring anything to their woods and I know I don't what to bring anything back to my woods!!!

I honestly don't know if NH has any of these rules, and from what 3rdgen said NY has laws for this and I am sure others states do as well. I think its just a good practice reguardless.

mapleman3
07-09-2010, 06:16 PM
2 questions...

1 how is the pesticide administered? is it a spray or do they inject it right inot the tree?

2 If a tree is treated, how long is the recommended time to wait before it can be tappped again?

Here is some info

Q. How are the insecticide injections made to the tree?
A. Imidacloprid is applied through either tree trunk or soil injections under USDA supervision. Trunk injections are applied directly into the trunk of the tree. Soil injections are applied directly into the soil around the base of the tree. The number of injections (trunk or soil) required per tree is dependent on the size of the tree. With both methods of injection, the insecticide moves upward into stems, twigs, and foliage. The intent of the injection treatments is to deliver the active ingredient of the pesticide to active tree-growth areas, where the beetle would be expected to feed and lay eggs.

Q. Where and when do applications take place?
A. Treatments will be applied to the ALB-infested areas in the spring. For treatment maps, visit http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/asian_lhb/alb_maps.shtml.

Q. Is this insecticide used for other things?
A. Imidacloprid is most commonly used to control pests on rice, cereal, maize, potatoes, vegetables, sugar beets, fruit, cotton, hops, and turf. It can be used as a seed or soil treatment or applied to foliage. It is also used in flea treatments for pets and in lawn care to control white grubs. More information about imidacloprid is available on the Extension Toxicology Network Web site (http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet). EXTOXNET is a pesticide information project of the cooperative extension offices of Cornell University, Michigan State University, Oregon State University, and the University of California at Davis; major support and funding are provided by the USDA Extension Services' National Agricultural Pesticide Impact Assessment Program.

Q. How does imidacloprid aid in eradicating ALB?
A. Chemical treatments applied area-wide can reduce beetle populations and help contain the spread of ALB.

Q. What previous tests have been done using this insecticide to control ALB?
A. USDA and Chinese researchers conducted lab and field tests both in China and the United States. The testing of possible insecticides with systemic activity against wood-boring beetles showed that imidacloprid was the most effective. The testing indicated that imidacloprid was effective against adult beetles as they feed on small twigs, and young larvae as they feed beneath the bark.

BUT, from talks we have had with MDAR and USDA, We are not to Tap the trees... and they don't yet know how long until you can.

allgreenmaple
07-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Here is some info

Q. How are the insecticide injections made to the tree?
A. Imidacloprid is applied through either tree trunk or soil injections under USDA supervision. Trunk injections are applied directly into the trunk of the tree. Soil injections are applied directly into the soil around the base of the tree. The number of injections (trunk or soil) required per tree is dependent on the size of the tree. With both methods of injection, the insecticide moves upward into stems, twigs, and foliage. The intent of the injection treatments is to deliver the active ingredient of the pesticide to active tree-growth areas, where the beetle would be expected to feed and lay eggs.

Q. Where and when do applications take place?
A. Treatments will be applied to the ALB-infested areas in the spring. For treatment maps, visit http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/asian_lhb/alb_maps.shtml.

Q. Is this insecticide used for other things?
A. Imidacloprid is most commonly used to control pests on rice, cereal, maize, potatoes, vegetables, sugar beets, fruit, cotton, hops, and turf. It can be used as a seed or soil treatment or applied to foliage. It is also used in flea treatments for pets and in lawn care to control white grubs. More information about imidacloprid is available on the Extension Toxicology Network Web site (http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet). EXTOXNET is a pesticide information project of the cooperative extension offices of Cornell University, Michigan State University, Oregon State University, and the University of California at Davis; major support and funding are provided by the USDA Extension Services' National Agricultural Pesticide Impact Assessment Program.

Q. How does imidacloprid aid in eradicating ALB?
A. Chemical treatments applied area-wide can reduce beetle populations and help contain the spread of ALB.

Q. What previous tests have been done using this insecticide to control ALB?
A. USDA and Chinese researchers conducted lab and field tests both in China and the United States. The testing of possible insecticides with systemic activity against wood-boring beetles showed that imidacloprid was the most effective. The testing indicated that imidacloprid was effective against adult beetles as they feed on small twigs, and young larvae as they feed beneath the bark.

BUT, from talks we have had with MDAR and USDA, We are not to Tap the trees... and they don't yet know how long until you can. Interesting info right there. As I am a licensed applicator in NY, class 3a, I am certified to treat for alb, most of my experience is on the turf side though, as I do treat for white grubs, primarily European chafers. Imidaclopirid is a restricted pesticide in NY, available only to licensed applicators, although I don't know about other states, but I have used this for several years as an insecticide, & results have been very good, but timing is very important. One of the recertification classes I took last November had to do with ALB, a very informative class. Good discussion here, let's keep it going.....

3rdgen.maple
07-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Interesting info right there. As I am a licensed applicator in NY, class 3a, I am certified to treat for alb, most of my experience is on the turf side though, as I do treat for white grubs, primarily European chafers. Imidaclopirid is a restricted pesticide in NY, available only to licensed applicators, although I don't know about other states, but I have used this for several years as an insecticide, & results have been very good, but timing is very important. One of the recertification classes I took last November had to do with ALB, a very informative class. Good discussion here, let's keep it going.....

Agreed lets keep it going. Since you posted the class was very informative would you care to share some of the info you have learned from that class or any other knowledge you have collected on the ALB. Also curious have you heard of it arriving in NY as well. Follow this link to an updated article I found today http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/statenewengland/789861-227/asian-beetle-isnt-here-yet.html?i=1

red maples
07-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I haven't heard anymore info on the incident at falkner hospital in MA they thought that they came from from firewood but from the pictures I saw in the boston Globe it looked the trees lined the parking lot...which is a very scary because if any ALB got into or into any cars...and went for a ride....or maybe thats how they got there in the first place.

red maples
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I couldn't find the article on line, but in boston Globe today...they talked about ways detect ALB in trees. 1 way is by sound. I guess its a handheld device that pics up sound waves within the tree and can hear the ALB chewing wood inside the trees.

the second is an experiment being done by a professor and an undergrad student at northeastern U. Basically its a collar that wraps around the tree and sends microwaves into the tree and detects dry voids with in the trees where ALB have began to eat there way into the core of the tree. It will supposedly be able to detect the ALB at an earlier stage. but its just in theory at this time and a prototype should be done by next year.

3rdgen.maple
06-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Got an email tonight that the 75 acres I lease down by camp for deer hunting. The logging company I lease it from is going in and cutting out every ash tree on the land and all the land they own which is thousands and thousands of acres in NY. They are going to harvest the trees before the emerald ash borer destroys them. Doesnt sound good that they feel the need to get them before the EAB does.

DrTimPerkins
06-21-2011, 02:25 PM
The Asian Longhorned beetle has been found and confirmed by APHIS in Tate Township in southern Ohio (south of Cincinnati and a little north of the Kentucky border).

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/asianbeetle/

Apparently surveys are just beginning to delimit the area of infestation.

No other news yet.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I sucked up a beetle that looked similar last night in my stairway, but I don't recall the white spots on it. The wife started screaming, I thought some one inside house so I came out with my .40 loaded with black talons. Here's this black beetle with long antennas crawling up wall, Kirby's really have some sucking power:o

Thad Blaisdell
06-21-2011, 08:47 PM
The Asian Longhorned beetle has been found and confirmed by APHIS in Tate Township in southern Ohio (south of Cincinnati and a little north of the Kentucky border).

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/asianbeetle/

Apparently surveys are just beginning to delimit the area of infestation.

No other news yet.

That is not good... not good at all.

BryanEx
06-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I can see one day in the future testing for Imidacloprid in syrup instead of lead may be common place.

brookledge
06-27-2011, 08:31 PM
In Mass. we where pushing to have each tree that was treated to be tagged. One thing for sure is that the quarantined area has enough attention to it so that it would be pretty hard to tap a tree that had been treated with out being seen since it is only in suburban areas. I think imidacloprid is available for other uses so you are correct that one day it may be an issue
Keith

BryanEx
07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Just wondering... is there currently any testing going on with regards to how long Imidacloprid lasts in the treated trees and is the issue with it's use that it gets passed on to the sap and later condensed as we make syrup?

- Bryan

Flat47
07-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Maine banned "imported" firewood last year. Very often there are Forest Rangers located near the ME/NH border on I-95 siezing firewood as it comes into the state. This is in hopes of stopping the spread of both the ALB and the EAB.

BryanEx
07-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Is it known just how far North ALB can survive (with regards to climate)?

Thad Blaisdell
07-24-2011, 09:34 AM
I read somewhere that they can survive just north of Dunvegan, Ontario.

CBOYER
07-24-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/pestrava/anogla/asialonge.shtml

KenWP
07-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Stores here have a sign to do with wood bugs. It's only in french as far as I have seen.Guess bugs don't read english or something.

sugarmountain
07-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Does the alb have any predators in the n.east ? (besides humans with kirbys)

DrTimPerkins
07-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Does the alb have any predators in the n.east ? (besides humans with kirbys)

No, they do not.

BryanEx
07-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Been doing a lot of reading on ALB in the past few days and here are a few things I didn't know;

The beetle can survive Canadian winters as an egg, larva or pupa. An adult will generally emerge in July and August and live as late as the first frost.
The beetle has no known natural enemies within Canada 's forests and has no natural controls in North America. The only way to stop the beetle's spread is to remove all susceptible trees within a defined area.
In its native range, this insect may have a one or two year life cycle. Research has already confirmed it has the ability to overwinter as an egg, larva or pupa.
Though the beetle is capable of flying long distances (e.g. up to 2 km), most either stay on the same tree from which they emerged or fly up to 400 metres to a new host tree.
Insecticides do not protect infested trees and only kill some beetles when applied to uninfested trees before attack.

C.Wilcox
08-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Here's a website that gives some additional info on the beetles.

http://www.beetlebusters.info/

Rossell's Sugar Camp
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM
In Pa it is illeagal to cross county lines with firewood. It is to stop the spread of EAB. I cannot say i heard about the ALB around here.

oldboyscout
01-27-2013, 10:20 PM
my neighbor had a forester in who told him just to cut all his ash trees. All mine look very weak and spindly. probably close to death. Are my Maples next?

Indiana-Jones
04-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi, I just came across this bit of news about the Asian Long-Horned Beetle. It reads as great news but it sort of leaves you a hanging.

http://phys.org/news/2013-04-asian-long-horned-beetle-eradicated-canada.html

madmapler
06-09-2013, 07:12 AM
I was speaking with a Mass. employed forester the other day about the ALH and he let me in on a few things about the Worcester situation. Apparently, its the worst known infestation in North America but whats even more interesting is why. Worcester experienced an f5 tornado back in the 40's or 50's that actually killed 90 plus people. Most of the trees in and around the city were destroyed so in order to restore the foliage around the area they opted to plant Norway maples throughout. Most here probably know that that tree is the #1 choice of the ALH. Now they're having to do it all over again and then some. Apparently, they've recently made another discovery in the area.

SeanD
06-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I found these b@st@rds in a piece of maple I was splitting today. I'm little freaked out and the ALB hotline is not open today (Sunday). They look almost identical to the ALB larvae, but they don't have the dark face nor the marking on the forehead area - at least as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm in denial. Can anyone ID these, please?

Sean

cur dog
06-30-2013, 12:57 PM
I can't help identify your larva as AHL beetle or not. I can tell you, that you are doing the right thing by asking the experts. Please let us know what you find out.

madmapler
07-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Less than 20 miles from Worcester. I hope you got some sleep last night. I'd really like to know how that works out.

SeanD
07-01-2013, 01:17 PM
A guy from the USDA just came out to look at the larvae and the firewood they came from. I'm really happy with their quick response.

He is hopeful that they are not ALB because they did not have the dark mark on the back of the head. Nevertheless, he's bringing them back to their entomologist to be sure.

I'll let you know what I find out. Let's pray for the best.

Sean

DrTimPerkins
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM
I found these b@st@rds in a piece of maple I was splitting today.

It is best to attempt identification with the specimen in hand, so I won't hazard a guess. Hopefully you'll hear quickly.

Are there any signs of Sugar Maple Borer in your woods?
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_mapleborer/mapleborer.htm

SeanD
07-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Good news! They were wood wasp larvae. So, I'm guessing that can't be good for the trees either, but it's a heck of a lot better than quarantine. It's been a stressful 24 hours.

The federal government can get a bad rap on this site, but I'm very glad that I was able to get a person by phone, get a visit from the USDA and have the larvae checked by an entomologist - all in one day.

Now, back to splitting wood for 2014.

Sean

DrTimPerkins
09-24-2013, 07:46 AM
ALB recently found in Mississauga, Ontario (just west of Toronto)

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?nid=773319

ennismaple
09-24-2013, 01:27 PM
The portion of Mississauga they found the ALB is an industrial area near the airport. I'm guessing they hitched a ride on wood pallets, like the last time they found them in 2003 in Vaughan (also a suburb of Toronto). Not. Good. With it being an industrial area I hope they can quickly quarantine the area and cut/chip all the trees before it spreads.

OldManMaple
01-18-2014, 06:00 AM
Don't know if this has been covered... Looks like the ALB's like reds better
http://tinyurl.com/kq97vjs

lyford
03-03-2017, 08:00 AM
I know this is an old thread, just wondering if anyone has heard anything new. Are we doing any better with this infestation then we did with the EAB?

abbott
03-31-2017, 06:22 PM
I know this is an old thread, just wondering if anyone has heard anything new. Are we doing any better with this infestation then we did with the EAB?

I got to wondering the same thing as I wandered through the woods today. Thought I'd check in here and see. No news is good news, right?

Hunt4sap
03-17-2021, 07:59 AM
Wow, just noticed there's a whole thread dedicated to ALB after I posted for info on them in ne ohio...
Is there a number I could call to have our woods checked( mostly red/ sugar maple)?
I heat our house with a central boiler odwb and split wood all the time and find larvae in wood( always spray to kill any I find) usually it's carpenter ants and there larvae but not always)
Any time I split ash I'm watching for EAB larvae, but now it's concerning me with our good standing timber that's maples!