PDA

View Full Version : 2X4 pan construction

PeddlerLakeSapper
08-05-2008, 01:58 PM
I am making a pan for a 2X4 arch. Instead of making 2 pans, I have one pan divided into a 24"X30" back section with a 18"X24" front area with 3 dividers. Will this work the same as 2 separate pans?

Haynes Forest Products
08-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Yes and no the reason you have seperate pans is so you can regulate the sap flow between pans and this is done with valves outside the pans. Having valves between the pans also lets you shut valves to stop the mixing between the pans as boiling stops. You could put valves between the dividers buy making your dividers solid and use valves out side the pans to regulate flow

Gary R
08-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm new to this, but I like the single pan idea. I'm building my second 3 section, flat pan. On a single pan you only have one level keep an eye on. The evaporater will do the work for you in establishing a gradient with syrup at the draw off. You will not need to ladle from on pan to the other. You can try some kind of stopper that can slide over the divider to block off a section if you need to. The only advantage I see with multiple pans is that they are easier to handle for cleaning.

For the guy who has multiple pans already or steam table pans, I like the idea of valves. No ladling, but might be expensive to do.

Good luck on your pan!

Haynes Forest Products
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I think for the guy that wants to start out small and grow but likes to tinker finding a good junk yard or recycler is the first step. Dont be afraid to find the person in charge explain what your up to and as always hand them a free sample of syrup and ask if you can look over the stainless pile. I have $2000.00 worth of SS pipe fittings ball ,valves, brackets, pans ,tanks ,screws and bolts all for under 100.00 Im amazed at what gets thrown away and sold for scrap lately. Go earley and go often and you will have all you need to upgrade for pennies on the dollar. Two 1/2 SS close nipples cut in half and 4 ball valves $20.00 and a call to your local welding supply for the name of a hobbie welder with a tig and you have valves on your pans. I cant think of a person that i called for help in building my rig that i handed a bottle of syrup to that didnt want to learn more and was always willing to help

HHM-07
08-10-2008, 05:47 PM
pEDDLER

i HAVE A 2X4 RIG SINGLE PAN tHE BACK SECTION IS 2X2 WITH 4 SECTIONS FLOAT WILL GO IN THE OUTSIDE SECTIONS. THE FRONTPART IS2X2 WITH 2 SECTIONS CAN DRAW ON BOTH SIDES WORKS WELL

Dick

PeddlerLakeSapper
03-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I have put 120 gallons through my pan, and have not been able to draw off any syurp yet. We were close today, but could only get the front section to 216 degrees. This is the second boil.

The pan has a divider so that I have a 24X30 rear section and a 24X18 front section that has four channels. There is no valve or float box between the front and the rear, just a corner cut off of the divider to let sap into the front.

I think that I am going to have to close that hole and put a valve between the front and the rear. After we shut down the two mix so that the next day we have 15 gallons of concentrated sap/syrup in the pan.

If I have a valve in the between the pans could I shut it during a boil and finish some syrup and then open it back up?

Also, when I shut down for the day/night could I just close this valve to keep the two sections from mixing?

PeddlerLakeSapper
03-07-2009, 07:15 PM
I have put 120 gallons through my pan, and have not been able to draw off any syurp yet. We were close today, but could only get the front section to 216 degrees. This is the second boil.

The pan has a divider so that I have a 24X30 rear section and a 24X18 front section that has four channels. There is no valve or float box between the front and the rear, just a corner cut off of the divider to let sap into the front.

I think that I am going to have to close that hole and put a valve between the front and the rear. After we shut down the two mix so that the next day we have 15 gallons of concentrated sap/syrup in the pan.

If I have a valve in the between the pans could I shut it during a boil and finish some syrup and then open it back up?

Also, when I shut down for the day/night could I just close this valve to keep the two sections from mixing?

Thanks...Dave K.