PDA

View Full Version : 5 gal. plastic bucket

skillet
07-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Where can i buy 5 gal food grade plactic buckets? Last year i bought 20 form wallmart and called the phone number on the bottom of the bucket. The manufacture told me if it was white then it is food grade. Not sure how accurate that is so i am looking for a new source this year. I use them for sap collecting.

thanks for the help

skillet

Dennis H.
07-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Why buy when you can get them free.

I went to small local bakerys and asked for the buckets they get icing in, they were more than willing to set them aside for me to pick up later. They told me they just toss them in the trash.
I went to wally-world to get some, boy that was not worth the hassle. Too many differnt people working in the bakery to see the note about saving buckets.

Oh yeah, the local bakery even saved the lids for me too.

just an idea so you can save a few $$$.

gmcooper
07-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Last winter I picked up a bunch from some bakeries. All food grade buckets used to say so on the bottom but these had icing in them with the labels still clearly readable. The buckets said nothing about being food grade. They contained icing from 3 different companies. That makes it really hard to tell what is what if they are not labeled from the manufacturer.
Mark

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-27-2008, 07:43 PM
As long as they are new buckets and haven't had chemicals in them and the manufactures tells you they are food grade, then don't worry about them.

I agree with others, there are plenty of free 2.5 to 5 gallon buckets out there if you are willing to dig a little and find them.

petersp22
07-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I ended up buying these from U-line http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-7914

In their catalog they were identified as food grade but not online. Shipping was expensive.

Gary R
07-27-2008, 08:43 PM
skillet, where are you located in PA? I've gotten all my buckets from grocery store bakeries. I've had to pay .50 to $1.00. lids with them, just had to clean them some. Just go in and ask. Next thing you know you have a pile of them.:)

Haynes Forest Products
07-27-2008, 11:04 PM
I got 30 buckets from a bakery that got frozen cherrys in them they were square The problem i had was they all had little hair line cracks in the bottom from getting smacked to get the cherries out. they were a harder plastic then the round 5 gal type. When I went to drop off a load of wholsale syrup i didnt want to wait to drain the buckets so they said just grab from the clean pile. Drywall mud comes in food grade bucket too.

lmathews
08-07-2008, 07:11 AM
I have been using drywall buckets for 12 years. Free if you know people in the buiss. They are food grade and the mud is a safe biodegradeable product. Washes out easy rinse with chlorine water and it is ready.