PDA

View Full Version : Just made the plunge

briduhunt
07-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I just sealed a deal on a 2x6 Leader evaporator. Got a good fair price and I am now in deep, so backing out is not a possiablity. LOL I now have to finish my new sugar shack which I should be pouring the floor in the next 2-3 weeks. My girlfriend has been teasing me that I was all talk and that Ii was not going to do it but I did make the commitment and my next thing to do after the shed is to secure the 100 trees I want to tap this comming year. I have already gotten about 40 trees and have spotted the others I want just have to stop and ask the owners. One good thing is that most all of the trees are road side trees, easy to get to and high in sugar content.
Tapping season is not soon enough. I feel like a kid getting a new bike on Christmas and can not ride it till spring.

Haynes Forest Products
07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Remember that its ok to set it up on some saw horses sit and look at it for hrs and i must stress this YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE A REASON WHY YOU ARE DOING THIS!!!!!!!!! Its shiny ok next ?

PATheron
07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Briduhunt- Congradulations on your new purchase. Your going to have a lot of fun with that bad boy. Better investment than most hobbies in my opinion. I just have one piece of advice for you. TAP EVERY FREAKIN TREE YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON AND GET A LOT OF FIREWOOD AROUND!!!! Prices are high and the BIGSAP is coming. Bigsapzar

Dennis H.
07-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Briduhunt congrats on the evap, is this a brand new rig or a used one, not that it matters?

I am slowing working up to a real evap someday, I just haven't broke the news to the wife yet? I am hoping to have too much sap to boil down and say to the wife "That's it I am getting a real evap!"

Justin Turco
07-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Good for you! Man are you going to enjoy it. They are pretty to look at! Get a stainless stack and cover if you can swing it $$. Not just because they look good but because you won't have to mess with it. Don't think for a second that your the only one looking at your evaporator with a longing heart. I think I visit my sugarhouse almost every day that I'm home. Stand there leaning against a post listening to the fire roar and watching the steam roll off the pans. Then realize we still have 7 months to wait. HMMMPH! Darn...Daydreaming again!

chrisnjake9
07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
hi i was thinking of a patriot .was wondering if thats what you got and what was the price thanks i have a 2x6 waterloo arch with ls biloudeaue pans which work OK but I'm not used to a 2 section cross flow type pan

sapman
07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Briduhunt,

Congratulations! To help with the maple itch, are you giong on the NY maple tour next week, right in your area? I'll be there, and looking forward to seeing several other operations.

Tim

Maple Restoration
07-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Congratulations Briduhunt all the best with the new rig I hope you enjoy the itch as mush as the rest of us due!

briduhunt
07-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks everyone I was just so happy to find a good deal on a used 2x6 that I wanted to tell everyone.
I will be attending the NY Maple Tour but only for the sales floor on Sunday afternoon. I do not have vacation time that I can spare and I live only 1 mile from the college and very near to most of the tour stops. I have actually been to some of them and have gotten a lot of information and resources from them.
Hope everyone has a good time this week on the tour, and might even get a chance to meet some of you on Sunday if you are there.

Valley View Sugarhouse
07-24-2008, 10:57 AM
If you get the bug like the rest of us, that will just be one of many :)