PDA

View Full Version : New Michigan Tapper

kirkhedding
07-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Hello Tappers of MI. I haven't seen to many people on this web site from MI, or at least I just don't know who you are. I've tapped to years now. First year I tapped 10 trees, second year 50. I take my sap down to a friends house who is also new. We boiled a lot last year and still couldn't keep up. We were using a homemade 2x5 and we had 480 taps combined. Love to hear from people from MI and maybe come out and check out some other sugar shacks.
Thanks, Kirk.

maple man-iac
07-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Kirk,
Last season was my third. I had 500 taps and made 190 gallon. I used a King 3x10 4' drop flue with 6' syrup. Made very nice syrup. I had converted an old semi-trailer into a sugar shack for last year. It got me by and cheap. I had right about a grand invested combined into the shack and rig. My word of advise is to spend as much time on this site as you can. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There is also a huge archive more then likely your question has already been asked. Anyway Im located in the thumb near Imlay City about 2 hours from you. I can show you my little operation if you would like. Show you what works and doesn't.
Roger

Big maple
07-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Kirk, I don't know how many sugar makers there are on this site from Michigan but, maybe this will pull some of them out of the wood work. we are north of grand rapids a little bit.we ran 1,100 or so taps for the last few years and this summer we are expanding to about 3,400 or so. I'd like to see some other operations to see exactly how backwards and screwed-up we actually are. I've been to a couple of places and thoroughly enjoyed talking to them and checking out their shacks.

firetech
07-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Welcome aboard I hang out near Perry. In 07 we did 66 taps on a 29x82 flat pan made 19 gals. In 08 we upgraded to 216 taps on a used 30x10 Leader made 93 gals. In 09 we are shooting for 400 tappes all roadside trees. The site is excavated for the new sugarhouse construction start in a couple of weeks. You will find lots of good ideas and good people on this site willing to share. Don't be shy to ask questions. The kids live near Stockbridge so you may see some Sandy Ridge Farm Syrup down your way at the farm stand.

kirkhedding
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Good to hear from you guys. Maple-Man-ic, How did you get all that for around $1000. I've been trying to get a 2x6 used. Hard to find one that's not lead solder, but i'm not giving up. Big Maple, that sounds like a pretty big operation. How many gallons did you make last year? Fire Tech, any kids in Stockbridge schools, my wife is a teacher there. Where's the farm stand at in stockbridge? Can't wait to talk with you guys more and hopefully stop in and check out your sugar shacks.
Kirk

Big maple
07-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Kirk, We made just alittle under 400 gallons. It was was a good year, the weather seemed to be perfect, we had very little line repair and the sap never seemed to stop flowing. we ran out of wood at the end and were taking every standing dead tree and every thing else that would burn and shoving it in the fire box. A guy down the road just gave us permission to run lines on a 36 acre wood lot for free. He's a real strait shooter and just a good ole boy so we took him up on it and we are setting up a couple thousand taps on his land this summer moving a bigger evaporator in and adding 14' on to the shack. Some times when I'm out there working on it I stop and wonder at what point in time I actually lost my mind. If you, or anybody else, ever happenedto be in the area or wanted to check our sugar bush out let me know, we're more than happy to show anyone how not to do it!

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
07-24-2008, 08:03 AM
KIRK
I have 250 taps and boil on a 2x5 and barely keep up on good runs. 480 taps must keep you boiling 24 hours a day

RICH

kirkhedding
07-25-2008, 08:26 PM
480 taps was to much for the evaporator we had. We spent a lot of late nights boiling. I did that the last two years with a friend and his evaporator. Hopefully if money and the wife will allow it, I would like to get a 2x6 for just myself. I have 100 taps on my property, so I think that will be all the taps for now. I'm hoping with a 2x6, preheater, blower and properly dried wood, that i'll be able to get around 35-40 gph out of it. So, I've been dreaming over new one's and hoping for a used one to pop-up.
Kirk

kirkhedding
08-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Ok guys, i'm in. I just picked up a 2x6 waterloo. It's in great shape. I got the arch, 2x2 syrup pan, 2x4 raised flue pan, 2x4 steam hood with preheater and smoke stack. Now, I just have to finish off where i'm going to put it. I've built a lean-too off my pole barn. It ended up being 12'x20' with 12' down to 8' ceilings. I figure i'll boil everything out there and then take it into the work shop in the barn to filter and bottle. The work shop is heated and has running water. Any suggestions before I get any further would be appreciated.
Kirk

Haynes Forest Products
08-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Yea put sides on that thing and call it a sugar shack. Keeps the wind out and your friends in. Plus it keeps the critters out.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
08-03-2008, 11:53 AM
if its not closed in the wind will suck the heat away from your pan. that is for sure. will you be able to finish in the room you bootle in?? everything sounds ok otherwise.

RICH

kirkhedding
08-03-2008, 06:57 PM
The room has 3 walls, the open side faces the East. I can probably do the finishing inside the work shop also.
Kirk

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
08-03-2008, 07:37 PM
With just one side you, you won't get too much air flow thru as the air has no outlet other than back out the same hole it came it, so you should be fine and as the air flow won't affect boil rate much. Will stay cold inside without a way to hold in heat, but it will still definitely be warmer than outside.

michiganfarmer
02-10-2009, 01:56 PM
. Some times when I'm out there working on it I stop and wonder at what point in time I actually lost my mind.

LMAO! I have the same thoughts