PDA

View Full Version : keeping buckets on trees

sapman
07-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Any of you guys that run a lot of buckets ever come up with a way to keep them on the trees through the winds we always get during sugaring season? One of the tree owners where I tap got a few of his bungee cords out last season, wrapped them around my buckets, and never had another come down. So now I'm thinking of going into the bulk bungee buying business before next season. Of course, I'll probably curse them when emptying takes a little longer, but may be worth it in saved sap and time putting them back up.

Tim

tuckermtn
07-09-2008, 07:12 AM
what are you using for taps and buckets? we use the leader tree savers and big galvanized buckets. We have some blow off after a good, 30 mph wind, but not enough to be a serious issue. then again, most of our trees are in a "village" setting, vs. a fence row or edge of a field.

lpakiz
07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi,
I use a piece of white nylon string and a heavy rubber band. Just pre-stretch the band and string around your bucket. Tie together with a bow knot so you can untie at the end of the season.
It's easy to slip the garter down and pull off the pail, then re-hang the pail and raise/stretch garter back into place.
Larry

sapman
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Tucker,

I use the exact same buckets/taps as you. Most all mine are roadsides, and when the wind blows hard, I'd say 10-20%+ can come down. That's like up to 150~ downers?

Larry, I'll think about that idea. Thanks,

Tim

tuckermtn
07-11-2008, 11:20 PM
sapman- we have 150 +/- buckets- and depending on the wind direction, we have 4 or 5 buckets for each direction that chronically go down...so not quite the 10-20% that you have...we just sort of chalk it up as a loss...the only real wind that gets the sap running for us is a west wind...and I watch the chronic west wind "downers" like a hawk...