PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Refractometers

Dennis H.
07-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Has anyone bought a refractometer off of ebay, and was it any good?

I looked and found a lot of analog refractomters for right around $30 and they have ATC, they appear to be coming from Hong Kong.

I was loooking to get 2 refractometers, one for sap and the other for syrup.

I also found a company called Vee Gee that has an analog refractometer but it doesn't have ATC.

Is automatic temp compensation really needed?

On ebay I could find a sap refrac for the range of 0-10% and syrup 58-90%.
At Vee Gee they had the 0-10% for sap and 45-82%.

Father & Son
07-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I have a 0-80% with ATC I got off ebay and have been using it for 2 years now. There are a few things to think about. The tighter the scale the easier it will be to read. On the 0-80% I can use it both for sap and syrup which saves buying two. On the models that start at 0% you can calibrate with water, (I use distilled) the others need a calibrating fluid - another expense. I'm very happy with mine because I got that model based on the reasons above, you will have to figure out what works best for what you have in mind. Hope this helped.

Jim

mountainvan
07-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I got my sap and syrup refractometers from industrial supply in Ca.. Happy with both.

Jim Brown
07-04-2008, 07:28 PM
We bought both of ours off e-bay.I think we paid $29 for one and $34 for the other( both made in china)Both work fine and have ATC.

Jim

Dennis H.
07-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey Jim do you remember who you bought them from?

I see industrial supply in calif. is still selling refrac's but most of the rest I saw it looks like they are shipped from china and I am not sure if I want to take that chance unless someone here has had good luck with them.

Jim Brown
07-05-2008, 06:30 AM
Dennis H. I just looked up the invoice :

We paid $34 for the 58-90%
I cant be sure but I think we got the 0-10% one from the same place

HIGHSUN INC
DAIMOND BAR,CALIFORNIA

hope this helps Good luck

Jim

Russell Lampron
07-06-2008, 04:53 AM
I got mine from someone on ebay too. I think the scale is 0 to 32% and it works good. I have had it for 4 or 5 years and I think I paid around $20 plus shipping for it. I don't have one for syrup, I trust my hydrometers for that, I have 5 of those.

Dennis H.
07-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, now back over to ebay to pick the ones I want.