PDA

View Full Version : Mainline connectors

Maplewalnut
07-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Looking to see if there is a preference or any other feedback on connecting laterals to a mainline. Looks like there are at least three options. You can cut in a star or a fishbone type connector or use a saddle to tap into the mainline. Are any rated better for vaccum? Probably won't get to vaccum this year but don't want to have to change everything out when I do. Will probably take my tubing down every year since the runs will be relatively short and I worry about ATVs etc.

Also what is the best way to connect and keep lateral tension on the wire and not on the mainline? Are the hook connectors the way to go?

Thompson's Tree Farm
07-01-2008, 07:28 AM
I like the saddles the best. Less impediment to sap flow through your mainline. I am currently using hook connectors and am well satisfied. I do plan on trying some of the slide connectors. Supposed to be real convenient for tightening the lines.
Doug

GGervais
07-01-2008, 08:15 AM
I like the single saddles(multifittings). An air leak on one of your laterals will rob vaccuum from the other laterals if you have a star or 2 way saddle. With the right tool you can put a multifitting on in about a minute.

brookledge
07-01-2008, 09:11 PM
with the saddle type you don't have to worry about the mainline coming apart from expansion and contraction. Plus the cost of stainless hose clamps.
I like the ones that use a 31/64" hole
Keith

ennismaple
07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
with the saddle type you don't have to worry about the mainline coming apart from expansion and contraction. Plus the cost of stainless hose clamps.
I like the ones that use a 31/64" hole
Keith

Ditto. We used to use the cut-ins with star manifolds but now we're switching everything over to saddle manifolds for new mainline and when we replace old stuff.

Dalestead
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I am a big fan of CDL's single saddle manifold (multifitting as they call it). They seem to me to be the most trouble free one's for me. As for the inline manifolds ( 6 way stars) I feel that they are not a good choice for 2 reasons. One they are harder to see a leak with multiple lines going into it; also every fitting in an mainline makes more restriction.

Maplewalnut
07-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Doesn't look like there is a saddle or multifitting for 1/2 inch mainline? I am going to start with two short runs of about 600 feet with only about 50-60 taps on each.

Ideas?

Thanks Mike

Valley View Sugarhouse
07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
You can upsize to 3/4, better vac transfer if you use it, or I have seen people use a 3/4 multi fitting with a couple strips of pipe cut and slid under the clamp so it will clamp tight, works ok on gravity, but hard to keep from leaking with vacum..

Jeff E
07-15-2008, 01:36 PM
What is the best way to install the multi fittings?
About 400 to do, so I suppose I ought to figure this out soon....!:rolleyes:

ennismaple
07-15-2008, 03:49 PM
We use a 31/64" drill bit and a cordless drill. I slide the tie straps down the mainline a bit so I can move the mainline over a bit and drill the hole at about 1 o'clock. You need to be careful not to punch through the bottom. Then you put on the straps, slide them under the mainline wire, seat the top part on the hole you drilled, wrap them under the mainline and back into the other side of the top section. We use a pair of pliers to make sure they straps are tight. After you've done a few you catch on pretty quick. I can do one in about a minute.

brookledge
07-16-2008, 05:57 PM
If you are going to use a electric drill then you should put something over the drill to stop the drill from drilling too deep. Either piece of tubbing or as I use , wrap electrical tape around the bit a bunch of times until it makes a solid stop
Keith

Jeff E
07-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Are you using the hook connector as well with the mulit fitting?

Valley View Sugarhouse
07-17-2008, 09:03 AM
you have to, or the manifold will leak, and or break..

ennismaple
07-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Are you using the hook connector as well with the mulit fitting?

We use the slide fitting that clamps over the tubing and then clips onto either the mainline wire or onto a tie strap that you attach to the wire. We like it because you can easily adjust the tension and you don't need to cut the tubing.

maplwrks
07-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I started using the slide fittings 2 years ago......I like the idea of being able to hang tubing with only a pair of cutters. They make taking up slack a breeze also.

brookledge
07-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I like the hollow core nylon rope. You can tie it to anything, the mainline, a tree or what ever and then you can ajust the tension on the lateral as needed. I think it is better than those hook fittings. Plus when I tie my mainline to the wire with stainless wire ties it is hard to get the hook to go over the wire without causing a little sag which in turn slows down vac. transfer.
Keith

Jeff E
07-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I will be using leaders 'end ring' connectors at the end tree, and the wire tie and multifitting connector at the mainline.

What experience have you all had at intalling these and getting good tension on the laterals.

By the way, I build a practical reel set up for unrolling mainline. It is working really well. I take one of the tape pieces that hold the roll together, and tie the inner end off to the reel, and then simply walk off pulling the tubing down the line. See the images linked below. I must say, I am rather proud of this little set up!!! (simple mind, simple pleasure)

ennismaple
07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Nice rig Jeff E! Necessity is the mother of all invention. When you get larger quantities of mainline they come on wooden spools. We put a piece of pipe through the middle and hang it from the forks on the tractor. It does the same thing as what you've made.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
07-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I would upsize to 3/4 or 1 inch mainline better for vac and all fittings are available. also look at how much space is left in a 1/2 fitting for ice to close shut

RICH