PDA

View Full Version : fumigating firewood ???

Brent
06-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I was retrieving some split firewood from the bush today when I noticed some very fine wood powder on many of the pieces.

I could not see any critters on the outside of the splits, like carpenter ants or whatever. The wood was really powered. Pretty close to consistency of baby powder.

first question: any ideas on what is in the wood

second question: suggestions for fumigating or whatever so the entire wood years wood supply does not get infested.

We heat the house, a log home, with wood so the short stuff is for the house and the long stuff is for the evaporator.

Gary R
07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Brent,

What type of wood is it? I see that often in very dry red maple. My house wood is brought inside every week. I have never seen any insect damage on my hardwood trim. Your log home though might be something to worry about.

maplecrest
07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
power post beetles are your little friends. and you do not want them in your log home. i have the pests in my post and beam barns making little power piles. the old timers white washed the barns to hold them at bay.they only poke there heads out once a year or so

Jeff E
07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I treated a cabin I built with a borate mix that would stop the critters from expanding their territory, and should kill them if they try to make a new hole to the surface.
Here is a link to the product I used. http://www.permachink.com/armorguard.htm
It seems spendy, but the 17 lb tub goes a very long way. I used maybe 1-2 lbs to treat the interior and exterior of my 16x24 cabin, including loft.

You would want to look carefully at the MSDS regarding using it on the burn wood, and insure there is not a chance for contact of the stuff with syrup.

Brent
07-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Gary

I think it's ash. Positive ID was not made because it was cut in the winter without benefit of fingerprints ( leaves ).

Gary R
07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Brent,

I think Maplecrest answered it for you. On a side note, Do you guy's have Emerald Ash Borer up there? They have just made it to a few counties in PA. I believe it started in Michigan from Asian shipping containers. From what I'm hearing the've wiped out a lot of Ash in the mid-west.

maple flats
07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes, it was discovered first in Michigan as you say. I got an email today from a Cornel Forester who included a report that it has now been identified in Quebec. EAB makes a D shaped hole as it enters thru the bark to deposit it's eggs. Then as the grubs hatch they form an extensive maze of burrows just under the bark. The Ash tree has no defense, it dies within about 3 years. The only way to treat this is with expensive systemic pesticide by injection by certified arborists. No one could afford to have it done in their woods but some yard trees are treated and survival is very good. Without it survival is zero. Do not transport firewood, as this is one way it spreads fastest, in nature it spreads very slow because the adule beetle flies too slow and not very far. However there are studies to see if the beetles can ride the wind and even go as far as across the great lakes.

Brent
07-01-2008, 08:55 PM
from what I've seen on the Emerald Ash Borer I should be able to see bore holes, but I have not found any yet. The is one small area of Toronto, about 30 miles away that was infested by they "think" they've wiped them out. I better check this out more carefully.

brookledge
07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
I know I was told in Mass you can't use grant money for planting ash any more since it is considered a doomed species from the eab. Hemlock is another one that has a tuff road ahead
It's too bad that humans spread all of these pest and diseases by shipping containers and vehicles. I know most of the time we are not even aware it is happening until its too late.
On the other post I too believe it is powder post beetles.
Keith

Brent
07-02-2008, 06:22 AM
I've done further reading on the Emerald Ash Borer and I'm now pretty sure we are not dealing with this beast. The Ash Borer leaves a serpentine labyrinth while ours are more or less straight and about 1 1/2" long. We are missing the "D" shaped holes where the larvae leave the bark area and burrow into the tree.

So I still have a mystery. Anyone have any suggestions to fumigate the log pile. We do have some Raid fumigators and I think we'll tarp the pile and put one under it.

Justin Turco
07-02-2008, 08:06 AM
I've got a spot in my sugarhouse where the same fine dust always falls from the ceiling. I think I've got the same problem. I wonder if I coated it in a mixture of boiled linseed oil and turpentine if that would drive them away. (I always thought that if the wood was truely dry then these pests would leave the wood alone. That is not the case is it???!!)

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:51 AM
we had carpenter ants in the old tentest in the ceiling of our cottage. We tried all kinds of sprays etc with no success. They finally left after we had to put in a new roof and I insisted that the roofer remove all the tentest and put on plywood.

The debris from the carpenter ants was much larger than what I am finding on the firewood. The ants were making particles about the size of the sawdust you get from a table saw.

Gary R
07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Brent,

Maybe get a hold of the log home manufacture. If it's powder post beetles, their pretty common. I would think they would know if there is cause for concern or a treatment.

Brent
07-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Gary

they're only in the firewood that's drying on the hill now. I just want to find out what I'm dealing with and kill them before I do them the favor of bringing them into a year round feast