PDA

View Full Version : Handling Barrels/Drums

DaveB
06-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I pack most of my syrup in 5 gallon containers for packing later in retail containers. I'll pack 3-4 in a given week. Next year we are expanding and I'll have the new sugarhouse to work in and I'm thinking about packing in 30 or 55 (?!?) gallon drums. I think it would make for easier storage and repacking and I'd have larger quantities that I can sell in bulk (if needed).

I'm wondering how other producers handle 30 gallon or larger drums around the sugarhouse. I'm trying to plan ahead and I know that a 30 gallong drum an weigh 360 pounds. I was looking at some drum "trucks" (dollies) from Northern Tool which might make it easier to fill the drum and then move it into storage.

What do you use to move barrels/drums around the sugarhouse/farm?

Thanks,

Dave

Jeff E
06-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I am in the same boat. Looking at drums for next year and a bit anxious about it.

I used to paint highway stripes, and could manage 30 and 55 gal drums, getting them on edge and rolling them around. Even if I could still manage this it will not get them onto a trailer for shipping.

So, I will be watching this thread hoping there is a reasonable way to handle these 'loads'.

Valley View Sugarhouse
06-27-2008, 02:22 PM
a drum truck is the esiest way, they also make drum dumpers, chainfall, and ground models.. here is a link to some stuff @ Northern Tool, shop around I am sure you can find a better deal on the net...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&in_dym=1&Nty=1&D=than&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=drum%20handling%20equipment&cmnosearch=PPC&cm_ven=PPC&cm_cat=I-search%20(Google%20Adwords)&cm_pla=nt_materialhandling&cm_ite=drum%20handling%20equipment

DaveB
06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
That's kind of what I thought would work. Here is what I thinking of getting:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_1038202_1038202

It looks like it would do the trick.

fred
06-27-2008, 06:23 PM
that is what i use, got mine from mcmaster carr.i like 40 and 55 ,takes up less space. but i can 100 gal at a time anyways .when i pick up barrels from someone with no lift i use a 2x12 and roll it up into the truck.

maple flats
06-27-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't yet pack in 55 gal drums but I have a hand truck similar to Northern item # 143027 and it works easily but not for dispensing, only moving. When and if I start packing in 55 gal drums I believe I will also get a lifter like Northern # 144280 to lift and load using the tractor loader.

brookledge
06-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Dave
I see you are still a small operation and unless you go alot bigger all at once you may want to look at used Dr. Pepper drums or beer kegs. They both hold 15.5 gal or around 170 lbs of syrup that gross around 200lbs. They are heavy but I can pick them up my self enough to load on my truck.
Another thing to keep in mind is hot packing. You should try to can into the size containers that you can fill in a day or are able to hot pack all at once.
Grading is another thing that comes into play. If you change grades during the day you have to be able to store that also.
I know that some producers don't hot pack when filling bulk containers. But I have seen drums that where blown out to the point of not being able to stand up straight from fermented syrup. In some cases it depends on how long you are going to keep the syrup also. If you are just planning on wholesaling it right after the season then hot packing isn't important.
Keith

markct
06-27-2008, 08:27 PM
i have been collecting kegs for putting syrup in next year, but not sure how it works with selling in bulk, i dont wanna lose my kegs along with my syrup, with cheap plastic 5 gal ones it wouldnt matter much but kegs got some value and not so readily replacable

royalmaple
06-28-2008, 09:09 AM
I've got an add in the classifieds for 55 gallon drums for about the same price you are paying for 5 gallon syrup jugs.

fred
06-28-2008, 10:53 AM
i use those same barrels, mine had honey in them, when the epoxy starts to flake we sell comm. in them or scrap them and get some of our 10 bucks back they usually last 2 to 3 years

maple flats
06-28-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm a long way from wanting 55's. Right now I like 5 gal ss soda kegs, which I hot pack and pressurize with nitrogen after cooling @ 35 psi. When I see some Dr pepper 15 gal bbls I will get them. I hope to be at 800 taps next season and 1000 the following. When I get big enough I will get a finisher to process the larger bbls. My canner which I use now only holds 15 gal comfortably. I can also heat syrup in ss pots on 2 turkey friers which each hold just over 4 gal comfortably. Thus I have packed (once only) 4 full soda kegs in rapid succession, usually I only pack 1 or 2 at a time, with my 500 taps I had in the 08 season.

brookledge
06-28-2008, 06:42 PM
The nice thing about Dr Pepper is that the top is just like a reg. top with a 3/4" and 2" plugs
As for losing them Some times you can wait while they empty them other times I have left them and have my name on them and pick up at a later time
Keith

markct
06-29-2008, 02:44 PM
so they will pour them out and give them back to you at most places? bascombs is where i would be selling most likely. so they just store it in giant tanks? or bigger barrels? i guess i kinda pictured they just kept it in the containers ya sold it in.

brookledge
06-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Bascom pumps the syrup into large tanks. On days when they are not busy and if you bring in all the same grade they probably would empty it that day but some days that is not possible
Keith

DaveB
06-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on putting syrup in drums and how you handle them. Like I said, I pack most of syrup hot right from my 15 gallon canner to 5 gallon containers. In a given year I sell about 30-40 gallons of syrup retail and we'll pack what ever we need from the 5 gallon containers. The rest I sell in bulk (5 gallon containers) to restaurants and the like. I augment what I sell from some other producers in my area, when I have a need. I don't buy in bulk to sell later.

This year, I've been getting inquiries from some places looking to buy 30 gallon containers. One even asked about 55 gallon containers. Next year I will probably make about 250 gallons of syrup which is more than enough for what I need retail and I can probably fill more bulk orders from what I make and I'd like to be able to fill some of the 30 gallon orders. I figure I should be able to pack the same amount of 5 gallon containers every week as I do now and one 30 gallon container. Mind you, these are rough estimates and who know what nature will give us!

With the added trees that we will be tapping, I need to figure out my sugarhouse workflow. It's a good thing I haven't finished the structure yet, because I think I'm going to add an area for syrup storage.

Dave