PDA

View Full Version : help

chrisnjake9
06-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm looking to get a ro machine but i have a lot of questions so if any one knows there stuff i would like to talk I'm looking at this unit on ebay from water man 55 2500 per day unit will this work efficiently for me i have a ton of other questions but ill start with that looking for knowledge jc

halfast tapper
07-03-2008, 03:43 AM
That unit on e-bay is a water unit only. I don't think you can convert for sap, which takes different membranes. I also don't think the pump is big enough, only has a 1/2 hp pump. It also is a low pressure unit, a sap ro runs typicaly at 250 to a max of 500psi depending on how much your trying to sqeeze your sugar content to. Higher content=highe pressure. It is not set up for a wash tank to be able to wash your membranes,you would have to use a garbage can as a wash tank.
I know the price is good, but with the modifications that you will have to do to make it a sap ro it might not be worth it. Cost of modification's, how well will it work, and will it void any warranty.
I would look at a reputable manufacturer of sap ro's like cdl/lappiere. Then you know it will work and there will be a good warranty.

chrisnjake9
07-05-2008, 10:50 PM
thank you for the information i need to look at some ones ro and talk about all the pumps, pressures etc i have a very small op about 300 taps all on tubing again thanks Jason

Russell Lampron
07-06-2008, 04:40 AM
Where is Petersburg? I am in NH and would like to show you mine. Like halfast tapper said there is big difference between an RO made for water and an RO made for sap. Mine has a 1 hp feed pump and a 3 hp high pressure pump. It is rated for 150 gph, a good size for 300 taps, and has a circulation pump on the membrane housing that keeps the membrane from plugging up when concentrating sap. RO's made for water don't have the circulation pump.

Almost any membrane will work for processing sap and a water RO will work too. You will have to clean it more often and won't be able to run it at a very high pressure. The higher the pressure the faster the processing goes. The faster you get the sap concentrated and boiled the higher the quality of the finished product.

chrisnjake9
07-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Thank you, Petersburgh is located 30 miles east of Albany NY. I live 10 mins from VT and 10 from Mass. I would like to check out your RO unit. I went to Bascom's maple weekend this year but could not understand the guy speaking about RO's. How far from Bascom's are you? What kind of unit is yours and do you think someone would be able to build one after seeing one?