PDA

View Full Version : Floaties on top of bottled syrup

MapleME
06-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I dipped in to the first bottle of my stash this am. Besides what I had in the fridge, this is the first I have used of my syrup made this season.

The syrup was bottled in plastic syrup bottles. The seal appeared to be totally intact when I opened it and I followed all of the bottling proceedures i.e the syrup was hot when it was bottled and I layed the bottled on the sides etc..

I found when I opened the bottle some sort of white floating glob- I have no idea what it is/was.

Im hoping its not something growing in the syrup, but I have no idea.

any thoughts. Im hoping all of the syrup I have given away doesnt have the same issue.

MapleME

peacemaker
06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
sounds like you might have been a lettle light ... and they molded

MapleME
06-14-2008, 04:12 PM
hmmm. Come to think of it this batch was before I had my hydrometer so I was just going to 7 degrees above and calling it quits.

So the big question- is it safe?

Russell Lampron
06-14-2008, 05:04 PM
As long as it hasn't soured you should be able to skim off the mold then boil it again to bring it the proper density. Filter it after that and can it back up. It should be good as new but maybe a little darker.

brookledge
06-16-2008, 06:01 PM
I agree with Russ open all of the syrup that you did before you had a hydrometer and you can salvage it before it spoils
Even if you have it to the right density but not hot enough when canning that will happen. Especially be careful when you are packing into plastic or metal where you can't see mold. Remember the customer will probably buy from somebody else if they open up a jug and there is mold on top.
Keith

maple flats
06-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Look closely at it, preferably under a magnifying glass with good light. It could be mold OR might be just your defoamer. If it looks like an irregular growth under the lens it is mold, if it looks like rather smooth surface and well rounded edges it id likely defoamer. As a test after, put it all together and warm it, if it melts easily it is defoamer.

MapleME
06-16-2008, 09:31 PM
well, Ive got two things going for me (or NOT going for me depending on how you look at it). I didnt sell any of this (nor intend to) and I didnt use defoamer. I guess Ill order some new caps, open them up and re bottle. They were 100% hot enough when bottled, so at least im narrowing down the problem.
Thanks for all the help.
Josh