PDA

View Full Version : new pump

Uncle Tucker
06-11-2008, 08:16 PM
I just bough a Gast vacuum pump on eBay for 19.99+35.00 S and H. not a bad deal I thought. This is my first vacuum pump and the specs say it will pull 28”. Now is that continuously or for a short time? I would like to know so I don’t have to buy another one. The other question I have is the oil. How much dose it need and is it adjustable? And what is a flood system? Is it the same as a declaimer?

Gast Model 0765-V6A

http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/rotvane/0465_0765_series.pdf

brookledge
06-11-2008, 09:16 PM
That vacuum pump is very small. If you go to the product performance section of the web site you attached you will see that it is rated for about 1 CFM at about 23" or 1.8CFM@ 20".
The rule of thumb is atleast 1 CFM per 100 taps so I suppose you could use it for 100 but if you get a leak it will not be able to keep up.
As for running it should be able to run continueous at the speed and CFM shown in the chart. But make sure you don't try running it at a faster RPM cause that would cause it to overheat.
And the oil should be a drip every minute or so.
An oil reclaimer is used to catch and reuse oil comming out the exaust. They tend to use more oil flow since the oil is reused.
What your picture shows is just a drip style with no recovery.
I see that you only have a small amount of taps so since you have it already give it a try the worst you can do is have to get a bigger one. Another rough way to tell if it is going to be big enough is to see what size motor is on it.
Most need a 1HP or bigger to run the pump. So if you see a used one with a 1.5 HP motor then that would probably be rated about 500-750 taps.
Vacuum is great so if it is not big enough don't get discouraged just means you need to go a little bigger
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
06-12-2008, 09:30 AM
With the amoumt of taps you show and with a tight system that pump should work fine. That might have a diafram oil system that pumps the oil at a slow rate. The jar on the discharge side is your oil reclaimer. I dont think that pump would work with a flood system. Does that pump have steel vanes or a carbon type?