PDA

View Full Version : selling bulk?

maplekid
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
im planning on packing syrup in the 5 gal blue jugs from leader. but the question is do you have to have a certain permit/licsence to sell it to bulk buyers. thanks in advance

maple flats
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
No, no permit needed. The bulk price now is like $3.25 all grades at Maple Grove, maybe others. Too bad you are not in central NY, I would willingly buy at that price for Lt, Med and Dark amber. I have almost no market for B grade nor Commercial. Ask your local bulk buyer, they should be eager to get more, on average thruout the maple world production was down again even if mine was way up. You might also just list it here, in the free classifieds, tell what you have and give your contact info.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
06-11-2008, 06:39 PM
post edited

mountainvan
06-11-2008, 07:54 PM
In NY if you buy over $10,000 of syrup produced in NY you're supposed to get a license from ag and markets.

markcasper
06-12-2008, 01:43 AM
In Wisconsin, you are suppossed to have a "food processing" license for any syrup that is sold beyond the farm yard. The current cost is $76.00 per year and they are suppossed to do a inspection at your faciltity each year. This would include bulk sales to a packer. I know of many smaller producers that sell to the packers and have never had a license, however. Yet alone them knowing that! The laws in this state are not enforced very well and there is tons of variation between inspecters - one person is not on the same page as the other if you know what I mean.