PDA

View Full Version : Storm Damage

MaplePancakeMan
06-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Hope everyones sugar bushes are intact. I tried to head out to mine after the storms to see how it fared, but i couldn't get to it due to road closures. Best of luck in the morning as you look through the mess these storms left.

Fred Henderson
06-11-2008, 06:41 AM
All we got was a light wind and rain with much T&L.

maple flats
06-11-2008, 06:13 PM
We also got very little wind, lots of thunder/lightning. I will check it this weekend.

Pete33Vt
06-12-2008, 03:27 AM
We got slammed hard. Very high winds lots of rain and lightning. I did a quick check in one bush yesterday. Only lost one or two branches as far as I could see. But that was only from the seat of the four wheeler. Going to check on the big bush this weekend. Kind of nervous. Its a open slope that faces right into the way the wind came through. Hoppe things are still standing. Good luck to all.

Jeff E
06-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Wisconsin got blasted again last night. Over the last 4 days I have had several aspen uprooted. I have not been in the woods yet today, but had to go around another blowdown in the driveway this morning. Could be interesting.
This is the same system that hit Iowa, Minnisota, and spawned several lethal tornados.

Dalestead
06-12-2008, 08:17 PM
We got hit hard enough did a quick check from 4-wheeler made it about half into one woods saw 2 big maple's belly up and 1300 feet of mainline resting on the ground didnt make it to the end because of limbs in the road. Guess i have some work to do!! Why is that when the wind blows it always seems to pick on the maple's first?

VA maple guy
06-12-2008, 09:07 PM
I got hammered two times this week. the first storm brought 70 MPH winds
and heavy rain. I lost four trees. The second storm ripped several
huge limbs out ou three more trees. all were reds. ENOUGH ALREADY.

royalmaple
06-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Maples have very shallow root systems compared to other trees.

PATheron
06-13-2008, 06:18 PM
We had two real bad storms here the last week too. I lost 5 nice tappers. Real high winds. Four of them were 10" trees that were really healthy. All of them had a major Y about half way up and snapped right at the crotch. The wind was so bad the fifth one was probly a 12 to 15" tree and it snapped it right in half. Makes a guy sad but the wood is going to make me money in the evap. Theron

VA maple guy
06-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes your right maples do have shallow roots, only one tree that i lost was up rooted. Two others that stood about thirty feet apart both were snaped off
about twenty five feet up. They both fell at the same time, and when they did they hit and knocked a third one over.

MaplePancakeMan
06-14-2008, 12:10 AM
My trees fared well in the bush only lost half of one large tree which means the whole thing will come down when i get the chance. Not looking forward to tomorrow as there is another chance of strong winds and heavy rain.

Hope all of you are doing well with clean up. Its sad to lose a maple but it happens and will give you wood and clear room for the ones around them to get bigger.

I saw a bunch of huge roadsides down on the way out there but the woods were a lot more protected from our near 60 mph winds.