PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized Canning Unit

Amber Gold
06-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I was looking for a canning unit and I found a galvanized 3-cone canning unit. I'd prefer a flat filter canning unit, but this is what I've found so far. Are there any issues with canning in galvanized? Is lead more of a concern when it's in contact with syrup vs. sap? The posting states that it's in very good condition with no rust.

Thanks

Josh

Amber Gold
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Would the galvanized canner alter the quality of the syrup, such as color, flavor, and etc.?

brookledge
06-10-2008, 05:45 PM
If there is no rust there should be no issue with off flavors. And as far as the lead in the solder just don't leave the syrup in it. In otherwards filter it and then can it up, don't leave any syrup in it for a prolonged time because that will allow the lead to leach out.
Also don't use any harsh cleaners only wash with hot water. With all your questions in regards to tin and lead, those type of pans have been used for many years and now a days most are trying to replace with stainless and lead free. In most cases they are cheap because they have a low retail value. I'm sure there will come a time when it is a law that you have to use nothing but stainless.
Try building a commercial kitchen, nothing but stainless counters are allowed
Keith

Amber Gold
06-11-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree that stainless is the way to go, but it's also very expensive. I'm trying to get my operation going and reducing startup costs where I can without compromising the finished product.

Thanks for the input.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
It won't compromise the finished product if it is clean. Buy it and if in 2 or 3 years you want to upgrade, you can sell it for as much as you pay for it as long as you take care of it.