PDA

View Full Version : whats the purpose of the little box where the ports are on syrup pans?

markct
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
my waterloo syrup pan has a small "box" where the drawoff and inlet fittings attach, its about maybe 2 by 2 inches and sticks out the side of the pan, i have noticed alot of pans have these, but i have also noticed some pans dont, whats the purpose of this, or advantage of it, i am planing to make a new syrup pan for my evaporator and was wondering if i should bother with this or just put the fitting right on the pan

sapman
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I do think all pans I've seen have the drawoff boxes on them. One thing is that they will allow you to drain the pan completely, or almost, since you are able to draw from the bottom of that box. It may also cut down on turbulence in the pan when drawing off, it would seem.

Tim

Haynes Forest Products
06-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I have the waterloo small with the box on the side and they are for total drain. I also think that they allow for a bigger and better connection for the piping and for the stops that you use for blocking off the pans. When i got my pans and set them up for the first time on saw horses and put all the pieces and parts on them i was thinking these pans must KICK *** becouse they came with a 2" draw off ball valve and spout. They have more ports and fittings than i can find a use for.

peacemaker
06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
i dont have a draw off box and at a full boil u cant draw off at a full pour the turbulance blocks it off some

markct
06-10-2008, 05:14 PM
so what do you mean by turbulance prevents drawing off at full boil? just it glugs and splashes, or some other kinda problem? i only have a 2 by 2 syrup pan on my 2 by 8 evap and was considering skipping the drawoff boxes since i didnt see there purpose but maybe i shouldnt

brookledge
06-10-2008, 05:29 PM
When the pan sits on the frame rail of the arch you can only have a valve on the side. If you have a 1" or larger draw off valve you will not be able to completly drain it. It will leave at least 1/4" and even more with a larger valve.
When they box out the draw off you can give it a slight angle down to help get better draw off plus as was said when the syrup is boiling hard you will not be able to draw off fast with the valve right against the pan so that is another reason it is better to have a box. The syrup will definately flow out better.
Keith