PDA

View Full Version : average syrup production from 100 taps

maplekid
06-07-2008, 08:32 PM
just wanting to figure out how many jugs ill need for next year. a guy has jugs hes selling dirt cheap to me so i thought i would ask. thanks in advance

fred
06-07-2008, 08:48 PM
5 gal to 35 depending on the year and if you change some of the softs to hard

Russell Lampron
06-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Fred is right it will all depend on the weather and how your trees run. If the jugs are dirt cheap they will keep and buy as many as you can afford.

tuckermtn
06-08-2008, 07:01 AM
but also buy some sort of good rubbermaid tote(s) to store them in, as mice just love all those cozy little places to "do what mice do..."

the first year we boiled on 140 taps and made 25 gallons....

maple flats
06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
For gravity systems an average of 1 qt/tap is good, but as mentioned above the yield varies greatly, for a vac system you can double that. As for the totes, I highly reccommend them. I also found it necessary to line the totes with plastic trash bags, which I twist the top of the bag and tuck it where bugs are not apt to gain entrance. I have also used new metal trash cans, which work good but are not as nice to use as the totes. For my totes I built a high shelf all along 1 side of the sugarhouse and stack my totes there and I keep a sheet of paper with the jug count and size in the tote, facing out so i can see what I have in it. My totes are clear to see thru. If the price is good, buy all you can, they will not get cheaper in years to come.

maplecrest
06-08-2008, 08:59 AM
a good average to think about in this weather pattern we are in is a 1/3 of a gallon per tap. jugs do not go bad. buy what you can afford you will have them on hand. i am always running for more jugs

markct
06-08-2008, 07:58 PM
best thing i have found for off season storage of stuff is the sap barrels from bascombs that have the removable lids, they seal up tight and this way ya arnt taking up any more space since they have to be stored anyhow

TapME
06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
We had 80 taps this year and ended up with 17 gallons of syrup, and we sold a couple of hundred of sap. This was the best year that we have had in 2 seasons. Last year was 7.5 gallons on the same amount of taps but different trees. The change to road side trees made a huge difference along with the winter being warm and snowy. Only one person knows what next year will bring. Hope this helps.