PDA

View Full Version : hard maple syrup????

markct
06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
a friend of mine who drives a recycling truck was telling me about a bottle he saw in the recycling that said hard maple syrup, and had a proof on it, i think he said 90 proof but im not sure, and other than that something about being from canada. i googled it and didnt come up with much, a few references to it in different articles, but no wheres to buy it or anything very specific, is this something the local package store could order? it has me rather intrested i must say!

Thompson's Tree Farm
06-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Not sure on what you saw, but back when I was in College (yeah waaaayyyy back) I remember seeing airline size bottles in a liquor store window labeled "Northern Comfort". They just had maple syrup in them though. Not any hard stuff.

peacemaker
06-03-2008, 07:19 AM
well i had a jug last year not seal and puff up i slowly opened it filtered it and brought back up to a boil but it smelled like alcoholic

ennismaple
06-03-2008, 12:33 PM
well i had a jug last year not seal and puff up i slowly opened it filtered it and brought back up to a boil but it smelled like alcoholic

That jug fermented on you. Nothing will bring it back. A bit of mold can be scooped off and re-boiled but a fermented bottle is garbage.

Back to the original post - sounds like some sort of alcohol made with maple syrup. All yeast needs is sugar to ferment so there's no reason it wouldn't work.

peacemaker
06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
the fermented jug was given to a friend who makes beer and wine he is making me some beer

Flat47
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
A couple of months ago I got a bottle of maple vodka made of distilled maple sap at the New Hampshire State Liquor Store. It's labeled Vermont Gold Spirits, and made by Duncan's Spirit's Inc., St. Johnsbury, VT. It's 80 proof and is pretty rugged stuff. No maple taste at all.

Russell Lampron
06-03-2008, 06:07 PM
That fermented syrup isn't garbage anymore. It is commercial syrup and worth $3.25/lb.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
06-04-2008, 07:54 AM
post edited

thenewguy
06-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I picked up yesterday a bottle of "heritage" maple bush lager made by the "heritage brewing limited" ottawa canada. its in a pint bottle (650ml) and has 4.6% alc./vol. I seen it on the shelf and had to buy it, it says on the label that it is beer made with maple sap. I haven't tried it yet, I'm waiting on my fellow "sugar" staff to help sample it. looks very tempting every time I open the fridge.....