PDA

View Full Version : Sugar house design /water drains

NYScott
05-29-2008, 08:07 AM
I am in the process of building a new sugar shack. I am almost ready to pour the floor and was wondering what kind of drains I should put in the floor? My evap is a 2x8 with steamhoods. The structure will be 14 x 21 I was thinking one drain under the center of the arch and then pitch the concrete to it, and possibly a second connection to the same drain for a sink and the preheater? What are your ideas on this?

maplecrest
05-29-2008, 08:52 AM
i made many mistakes in my sugar house when it came to drains. the ones i like are the slots in the floor with grates over them. around ten inches wide and the length of the evap on one side. for steam hood drain, pan washer draining, filter press washing ect.makes for a cleaner set up.

peacemaker
05-29-2008, 09:00 AM
ny scott i asked i friend who has a grerat setup what he would do different if he built agai he said 4 foot sauna tubes under the legs of his arch he said his slab still moves to this day he has a 5 x12 can u imagine if one corner dipped a little

mapleack
05-29-2008, 09:39 AM
It's well worth the money to put some type of independent footer under your evaporator. When we renovated our sugarhouse three years ago, we poured a 1' wide 3' deep footer with the outside dimensions being 4'x12'. This was topped by a 4" slab. The next weekend we poured the floor in the rest of the building, around the initial footer. The floor has since moved, but the evaporator hasn't. Right now we have 3x10 evaporator, but can upgrade to a 4x12 and still be on the solid footer. Plan ahead because you never know how big you may want to get!

Haynes Forest Products
05-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Put the drain in a place that you can clean things over it and pour into it dont use a trap and put two in if you can and a good slope. Use 3-4 ABS with removable screen.

maplehound
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Our sugar house is about the same size. We put a drain pipe all the way around the outside of the building and kept the walls about an inch high off the ground. We now wash the floor down with a hose whenever we need to and the water all runs right out and drains off with no mud problems. Only draw back is we get debri blowning in under the wall. Our answer to this is to put a strip of rubber at the base fo the wall to cover it but still let the water run out.