PDA

View Full Version : "wet lands"

mapleman3
05-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Well I couldn't sleep this morning due to a sinus headache... so I figured I would walk it off, went into my back woods to see if it has started to dry up, I tap about 100 back there, but it's considered"wet Lands" and it is every spring about 1-2ft standing water, so my tubing cleanup doesn't happen till around now. even pulling taps has to be done using chest waders!

Well I have some lines down from fallen trees or branches, I have so many small dead trees or fallen stuff that I would love to clear out. Does anyone know if that kind of thing can be done in "wet Lands" it drys up soon and stays dry all summer.

I told this to a forester I know and he seemed to think you can thin.. but I want to find out for sure.

I guess the conservation committee in town is a good place to start.

Haynes Forest Products
05-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Who considers it wetlands? is there a sign posted? I dont think just becouse your land is wet during spring run off that its wetland. WHY would you open up that can of worms? Its your property your not filling it in. Do you really want the federal government telling you what to do. Lets just say some do gooder hears the word WETLAND and then the ball starts rolling and that little road you have in there is a violation. and you divert the water for a bulk tank. Your asking a commitee of others to tell what to do with your land. The woods that i tap on is wet if there is snow on the ground. During spring thaw its full of water.The farmers go back in the SWAMP and cut wood all the time.

mapleman3
05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
I agree with you but 10 years ago when I bought the place they surveyed it and put it on the books(with blue markers on the trees)as wetlands(I guess)

I don't own alot of it, it's all my neighbors surrounding it that we all have a piece of it like a pie.

I'm sure I could go in there quietly and start pulling out the dead stuff, but would still have to talk to the land owners of each section....

there are a lot of small 6' hemlocks that I trim near some lines already and some big ones that grab the sun more than I wish... also some oaks, but in general just too many small sized trees not allowing the maples to get robust.

BUT heres the kicker which would have many say don't bother..... They are mostly Reds....

Thats what I have in the area.. reds.. but I tap them anyway and still get 2% + out of them untill the water or ice thaws... then they drop % like a rock and I shut the vac off for the season there.

TapME
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM
They did that soil conservation thing in Mass didn't they. If I am correct wetlands is a soil condition vs being a body of water that stands all the time. You can ask a local forester what the rules are and have a pretty good idea what you can do. Just don't blow it up so someone will make a stink and then all the tree huggers will be there.

mapleman3
05-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I will slowly "clean up" the area and be mindful of the yellow bellied,3 toed four toothed spotted horny toad
;)

royalmaple
05-23-2008, 06:17 PM
You are just shifting the potential of the dead wood.

I own some land in another town and there is a brook running through it on one side, it is a named brook and hence is considered a wetlands, I can't build within 75 feet of the brook. As far as the town is concerned I think they have their own ordinance about cutting trees on the brook or within a certain distance of the brook. There is some nice pine along the brook, at least for the time being, they are having their potential shifted soon.

I've only heard of problems cutting wood on brooks or lakes not so much with wetlands. I know the true blue definition of wetlands is any area that ferns will grow, which my buddy that is a surveyor told me is technically is over 50% of the state of Maine.

Run under the cover of darkness and say F' em.

Russell Lampron
05-23-2008, 06:47 PM
If you do the cutting when there is snow on the ground or when it dried up how are you to know that the area is wet? Be stealthy and don't tell anyone what you are doing.

MaplePancakeMan
05-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Royal, i guess wetland plants differ a surveyor i know thats a good friend told me that if i buy a property and it has cattails growing to cut them down before anyone comes to inspect the property or else it will be deemed wetlands. Also i know here there are three types of wetlands two of which are protected due to habitat animals. The other type you can build around and dig to help deal with the wet land. For instance if its a swamp you can dig a pond out and a stream to help reclaim surrounding areas.

royalmaple
05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
The ferns would be classified as forested wetlands.

mcsap
06-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Jim,

The limited work you are talking about should be fine, but given that you need to deal with other landowners you should have at least an informal talk with your Conservation Commission or DEP. What you've described sounds like "isolated land subject flooding" in regulatory terms and most agricultural activities (including map syrup operations and forestry) have exemptions that don't require permitting, especially at small scale. Here is a link to the regs:
http://www.mass.gov/dep/service/regulations/310cmr10a.pdf
If you were all on your own land I'd say just do what you want. But again, given you are doing some work on neighbors land you might as well ask the ConComm in your town just so you can tell the neighbors that you are in the clear to do what you want. I'm on the ConComm in my town and would certainly tell you to proceed without concern.

John

mapleman3
06-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes it will be limited foresting.. just want to get rid of some of the small stuff so the big stuff (maples of course) grow better!! it sure would be great if there were less mosqutoes when I'm doing it... I will check those areas you mentioned Thanks :)

maple flats
06-02-2008, 07:46 PM
In NYS farmers can do a lot of things and uses that no one else can on designated wet lands. I have not heard of wood cutting or thinning being prohibited. We do a lot of cutting on one designated wetland, but would never even consider clearcutting. I believe you should be ok for any normal cutting.

mapleman3
06-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I will just have to keep a keen eye out for the "tree huggers" they're an interesting breed.... they will think I'm killing the whole eco-system LOL the will have me digging a great big "mosquito pit" somewhere close so that the population doesn't go down and effect the oil prices !!!

maple flats
06-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Mosquitoes are why I cut those areas in the winter, when things are frozen. However try using banana boat sunblock SPF 50 for mosquitoes and black flies. I learned this when i took the chainsaw safety course called Game of Logging and it works quite well for a couple of hours. I bought a tube a year ago, at Walmart for $7 something and it is still over half full and i use it quite regular. Also try to remember that mosquitoes like blue better than many other colors, stay away from blue shirts, it also helps.

mapleman3
06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
great now I have to go out and buy all new work clothes too..... ;)