PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum muffler

Mike
05-22-2008, 02:31 PM
What kind of muffler do you use for a pump???? Is it a special kind??

Haynes Forest Products
05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
What type of pump are we talking? If its a oil type vacuum pump its going to discharge a small amount of oil mist into air. If you have converted it to a flood type system you will discharge alot of oil into the air. you have alot of options. They make a discharge mufflers for vacuum pumps. if you have alot of oil mist you will want to use a Coalescing filter. They work by passing the oil air mix threw a filter element that allows the oil to stick to the filter and pass threw it and flow into a collection chamber and then return to the pump. A simple compressor muffler will clog up with oil. The rule of thumb is what ever your oil use is is what will end up blowing out the discharge pipe. If the oil drifts in the air it can end up in your tank if you use a releaser. my Coalescing filter adds a small amount of back pressure to my pump and that causes heat. If you only use a quart of oil in a day then you could make up a collection filter/muffler and just use clean oil every day.

treefinder
05-23-2008, 06:44 AM
i use a straight pipe with an elbow towards the ground that goes in a pail.but it all depends on what kind of pump you have . some surge i know have a oil reclaimer on them to catch the oil and you need to have this on there as they do blow alot of oil by.

Mike
05-24-2008, 06:38 AM
I have a DeLaval 76........It'll be a muffler or a reclaimer......Might just go for the reclaimer......I can get one for $100.................

brookledge
05-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Both of my pumps came with mufflers when I bought them. Both are drip oilers and the exaust is 1 1/2" on one and 2" on the other. The mufflers are threaded so the screw right onto the pipe. They are mounted horizontally and have a tiny hole in the bottom so that they don't fill up with oil. I know they certainly make it alot quieter because I have spun them off before to see how loud they are.
Keith

maplekids
06-08-2008, 07:04 AM
I have a DeLaval 76........It'll be a muffler or a reclaimer......Might just go for the reclaimer......I can get one for $100.................

what kind and where will you get the reclaimer I am trying to set up a 76 to run a milker for my wife thanks

maplecrest
06-08-2008, 07:15 AM
partsdeptonline.com

Mike
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Check with the bulk tank dealers......