PDA

View Full Version : waste oil burner

treefinder
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM
any ideas on how to convert fuel oil guns into a waste oil burner. i have kind of an idea but would like some picks of somone that has one or a good explanation.of how to do it?

Haynes Forest Products
05-21-2008, 10:59 PM
treefinder
This has been coverd in a different thread. But lets go for a ride.I spent alot of time and i mean ALOT of time looking and talking and sending out quart bottles of syrup to people that would spend more than 5 min on the phone with me. Im of the impression that any conversion of your standard oil burner ie high pressure oil threw a nozzel is not a good way to go. ALL the waste oil burners that burn waste oil use a atomizing set up that 1 preheats the oil 2 pumps the oil at lower pressure. 3 uses compressed air to aid in combustion. waste oil is thicker and does not ignite as easley as #1 or #2 so it needs heat to thin and air to burn.
I talked to a few people that made conversions and they scared me 6000.00 for a converted Beckett gun?????????? Some WOB have small air comp and others you supply your own. They need constant air at about 20 to 30 PSI and a small pancake comp will burn up running 10 hr days.
Most WOB are made for small operations and the best i found was 400,000 BTUs about 2800.00 and i found a 320,000 BTUs for 600.00 and they sounded like a good Co. I could go on for Hr with what i found out. If you want to talk call me at 303 8105501 Im in the planning stages of changing out my 13 GPH Beckett to 2 guns.

Haynes Forest Products
05-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Treefinder Just checked your web photos Have the same storage tank great old tank HATE it when im cleaning it and the lid comes down. I see you got a hat from your oil supplier all i got was a bill for my 2400.00 worth of oil. he was out of Christmas calanders.

treefinder
05-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Well My Wife Works At Collins Oil So She Got The Hat .not Me !and No I Didn't Get A Christmas Calander Either. But I Only Spent A 1,000.00. Should Still Get A Hat Of My Own Though.

Haynes Forest Products
05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Treefinder I see that your running two guns what is the rate that your burning? How many gallons of syrup did you make using only $1000.00? I made about 160 gallons

treefinder
05-22-2008, 09:44 AM
i burn 4.5 gph in each gun.and i made 125 gallons of syrup. i think i used about 280 gal of fuel.well i guess i spent a little under 1,000.00.

Haynes Forest Products
05-22-2008, 09:50 AM
treefinder Well I have this feeling my rig is all out of balance. If you get the chance give me a call 303 8105501

maple flats
05-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I know nothing about converting burners, but my brother has a waste oil boiler heating his house from a outdoor location, between his house and workshop. He heats the house and part of the workshop with it. It is only 200,000 btu and it has it's own little compresser on the pump. He has a hot water lines running in a trench from the boiler to his shop where the oil tanks are. The water circulates continously during the heating season and the oil lines in both directions run in this same trench and in the same tile. This keeps the oil going to the burner at 150-190 degrees which works very well. I have no idea how much air is added but the compressor is quite small and only runs when the burner is starting up and running.

MR Electrician
05-22-2008, 09:48 PM
ok heres a thought why not mix yr old oil with fuel oil 50/50 should work yes?

if not then i just stepped in a bees nest
and am about to get stung.:confused:

Haynes Forest Products
05-22-2008, 11:31 PM
My understanding of the waste oil is both the viscosity and the waste IN the oil. Trying to run dirty oil threw a small nozzel is part of the problem plus what it does to the high pressure pump on your standard burner. I think that mixing oils will help in the thinning problem. One of the big problems with waste oil is getting oil that is free of synthetic oil ,antifreeze and solvents. Gear oil hydrolic and transmission oil are good oil becouse they have less carbon deposits and dont have the water that comes from combustion. Burning waste oil has more BTUs than #2 oil. Treefinder uses 9 GPH on his 4X12 and im using 9 GPH on my 3X10 he used 1000.00 worth of oil to make 125 gallons syrup and i used 2400.00 to make 150 gallons so im all out of wack.

treefinder
05-23-2008, 06:19 AM
your burning way to much oil you should be burning 5 gph.this is how you figure it out w x L divided by 5 and they say you should cut it back 20%. this is how i figure mine4 x12=48 div 5 = 9.3gph -20% its around 9 gph . i burn 9gph and i evaporate about 180 gph. this should help you! boy just think of all the money you could have saved . you could of had your fuel bought ahead for this year.[ that really sucks].if you go to www.atkinsons maple.com to the info part that is where i got this from.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-23-2008, 06:40 AM
Outta whack- What do you do have a straight pipe for the stack/ Barometric damper?? Hard sayin' not knowing...Should have added that sugar % makes a big difference... TF might be 2.7% and HFP at 2.1%... Lots of other equasions to be answered.

treefinder
05-23-2008, 06:58 AM
my stack doesn't have a barematric damper in it. will it make a differance ?maybe. will you notice it? maybe a little .is it worth it? not really.my rig boils about the same every time. some days i waste a little more fuel to make syrup all depends on the weather outside. some days i might lower my stack cover down a little if its real windy and its making a diff in boiling but does not happen very often.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-23-2008, 07:32 AM
hold on i gotta go find my hammer

Haynes Forest Products
05-23-2008, 08:04 PM
I dont have a baremetric damper but will have one soon. My stack temp was running 400 degrees and that seems low. My stack is 14" and is about 10 long. I understand that a damper will keep the heat in the arch. Should i put a few more sections onto the stack. If so what will that do.......draw more air threw the damper????

Haynes Forest Products
05-23-2008, 08:20 PM
My rig evaporates about 140 gallons per hr and thats good. There is another equation I made my 150 gallons in a span of 10 days and i must confess that i boil all sap collected. My season starts the day I get to Wisc and ends the day I have to leave so I very seldom get in on the first good sap runs of the year. I would say Im boiling mosty 2% so that does change my average.