PDA

View Full Version : Tin Flue Pan

Amber Gold
05-21-2008, 08:11 AM
I was wondering what is the time frame that tin pans were made and if they're safe or not.

Thanks

Haynes Forest Products
05-21-2008, 08:40 AM
I have a 2X6 English tin that i was told was from the 20s. Wont kill you but they will make dark syrup. Then went to SS and make top grade most every time.

Father & Son
05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I started out 4 years ago with a 2 x 6 Leader that was english tin and the stickers on the pans from Leader said it was built in 1979. For three years the syrup I made was light and medium. There were millions of gallons of syrup produced on english tin, but those topics have been chewed over in other posts.

Jim

Amber Gold
06-10-2008, 04:06 PM
The rear pan on my evaporator is tin. What's the best way to clean it, acid, vinegar, just plan water and a scrubbing, etc.? I wasn't sure if the same rules apply as for stainless. Also, what is tin?

Haynes Forest Products
06-11-2008, 12:58 AM
The tin part of the English tin is iron or steel. Its the coating and I understand that too be a very high grade Galvanize.

Amber Gold
06-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Is it easy to repair? The pan has two minor rust spots on the lip as it folds over on the top. I'm guessing that I'd solder it, but what would I used for a metal? Also what would I used to stop the rusting that's already there, just cut it out? It's not in contact with the process at all it's more of a comsmetic thing and to keep it from getting worse.

Jeff E
06-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I also have a old set of Leader pans, vermont 2x8. the flue pans have surface corossion in the areas the sap does't touch and have been looking around for anyone familiar with retinning.
I have yet to get any leads.

I went from making light syrup on a SS 2x4 flat pan for years to making medium to dark the last 4 years on the tin 2x8. A lot of factors play into it...so I wont blame it in the tin pans....yet.

RileySugarbush
06-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Tin is a metal and is used to coat iron or steel for corrosion resistance. I believe that English Tin refers to tin coated steel sheet that was used to make the evaporator pans you have. Thats also where the term "tin can" comes from.

Tin itself is very corrosion resistant so adding a layer to steel makes the container corrosion resistant just like adding a zinc layer to steel does. It is not resistant to acids, so don't use the muriatic acid tricks recently discussed on the trader.

Either tin or zinc can be electroplated onto steel, or the steel can be prepared and dipped in molten zinc to get the coating. Galvanizing is coating steel with zinc in that manner. I think that works with tin coating too.

I've never done it but you may have luck with a low melting point solder. Old style solder, before the lead-free days, was a alloy (a mixture) of lead and tin. Lead free solder is tin alloyed with antimony, bismuth, silver or some other metals. Someone here should know what solder to use for repairing your pans.

Amber Gold
06-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Is it OK to use a flue pan brush on the sap side and outside of the pan? I'm not going to scratch the finish off am I?

Pete33Vt
06-14-2008, 03:22 AM
It would depend on the condition of the pan. Alot of them are starting to get tender and if the fire side has not been done for a while you might find alot of pin holes. But it would be better to find them now then when you have sap in them.

Amber Gold
06-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks. I agree. I'd rather find them now than later. I'll give it a shot when I pick a brush up.

Justin Turco
06-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I've heard that it's best not to clean an english tin pan with acid. The minerals that build up in the flue pan help to seal the solder. I've got a neighbor that uses a big english tin flue pan. He makes syrup that is way below the limit in ppm for lead. I know you want it to look nice inside, but I say, put a hood on it and don't worry about the niter buildup on the inside. As far as the flue brush..that sounds like a good idea, maybe...just don't scrub the seams. But yes..better to find any problems now.