PDA

View Full Version : what to label it

peacemaker
05-19-2008, 08:47 AM
i didnt know where to post this thought .. here is one thing that has come up for me and dont know the answer ...i hope to have both trees in NY and VT i have been only in NY and label it NY and have boiled in NY but i am working on a plan to rework the 2 car garrage at the house which is in VT to be my sugar house for the next few years ... with both vt and ny sap and the sugar house in vt what do i label it . what my hopes is i can use both labels VT on some and NY on some ...

Russell Lampron
05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Contact the Maple producers associations for both states and see what they have to say. My guess is that it would have to be packaged in a generic container.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Plain and simple=Which ever state the final product was made in gets the "State" label. (Where it was actually made)

maple flats
05-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I would think that the Governor is right.

tuckermtn
05-19-2008, 07:32 PM
why do I remember something in the past about if its labeled made in vermont, it comes from vermont sap...something about years past when northern vermont producers using quebec sap.... was it quebec syrup being labeled as made in vermont when it only had part vermont syrup...again, I am very vague in this memory...

-tuckermtn

peacemaker
05-19-2008, 07:36 PM
i heard of someone getting in trouble this year in vt with canadian syrup or sap
well like what does bascoms do ?

royalmaple
05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
STOP DO NOT attempt anything but the following:

Each state's bush MUST be on a separate mainline, releaser, tank. You must drain the evaporator completely before you introduce a different state's sap. THis is critical. Including acid washing the pans.

If you are on vacuum you must have two pumps. Separate hydrometers. And make sure you use a different filter and filter tank for the finished product. I just hate to see you make a few mistakes that could otherwise have been very easily avoided!!

peacemaker
05-19-2008, 08:12 PM
what was i think .... well guess i will just have a sit down with the capt
and ponder this some more

Haynes Forest Products
05-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Maple news had a good write up about this very topic

mapleman3
05-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Almost sounds like Royal Maple is a supplier wanting to sell you a load of ;) LOL

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Looking in the VT quality control manual on Pg. 60+61 and in the NH Maple Quality control manual on Pg. 86 they both state about the same type of wording= In layman terms that you can use a label on a container of syrup that would imply that the syrup was say a VT product when it was produced in VT.

Now for the rabbit out of the hat tip of the day= How many NH producers HONESTLY know that on your label it must state if you are the "producer" of the product or it was "packed" by you??? Packed by means that you bottled up the syrup that was someone else's... This law came out probably 5 years ago and i doubt that very few follow it? The correct wording must either be "Produced or Packed by" and then all the other label must have's type of info such as name, address so if they have a problem they can track you down and Sue you rather you have product liability insurance or not?

I had like 10 rolls of sticky labels made up before that law came out and had to throw them all out as they didn't include that term" produced or packed" if i wanted to comply with the law.

Brian Ryther
05-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I live and work in VT, but my sugar operation is in NY. I make it easy on my self and buy the no state jugs.

peacemaker
05-20-2008, 10:53 AM
well i put in ny jugs this year since my temp sugar shack was in ny and i only had ny sap... and from what i understood was it really is cause the vermont label made the syrup worth 5 cents more a pound ... so in that line of thinking if i put say how many gals of ny sap i collecteds worth of syrup in NY jugs and the vermonts equalvent in VT jugs whats the harm ... kinda screwing my self that way no?
it wouldnt be a problem if it wasnt the land owner in ny wants the ny label on the stuff ..lol they will be selling it in the farm stand ..

maplehound
05-20-2008, 09:24 PM
In Ohio ( and I ussume in most states) you have to put your name and address on every bottle. So wouldn't it look odd if you had a bottle labeled Vermont with a NY address? I would think you would have to put the state that it was proccessed in, for that very reason.

jrthe3
05-21-2008, 12:25 AM
you can do what ever you think is right and we can all think it is right but someone will se it as wrong and make a stink out of it and cause trouble
i had another prduce in my town cause alot of stink because the name that was on my jugs was not my real name but the name of my sugar house

peacemaker
05-21-2008, 10:55 AM
sounds like the big stink is over the vermont label so what should the big deal if lol i want to degrade my vermont sap by calling it ny ..lol ...

no on a serious note does it have to have a states name