PDA

View Full Version : draw off valve angle up

maplekid
05-18-2008, 10:55 AM
i was looking at my pan today and noticed that the draw off valve is slanted up not by much but i can definantly tell its slanted. my question is did it bend or are they made like that. i dont see it being a problem just wondering

Haynes Forest Products
05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I would bet it happend using the valve for a handle Its not a problem untill you want to drain the syrup pan completely. But then My pans dont drain all the way without tipping them. I changed the draw off valve from the one thay supplied to a full flow ball valve and I came off the finish pan and went to a 90 degree fitting and then to the ball valve for max draining. I dont think that you want more than a 1/4 damming caused from the upturn.I would be very carful if you try to bend it back. If its solderd in place you stand the chance of getting a split at the top of the joint and heat WONT HELP. If the pans are Tig welded I would get up on a ladder and just jump on it...KIDDING If you look at alot of the olde pans they came with wood handles so you can move them when there hot.

peacemaker
05-19-2008, 07:39 PM
no its easy to get it to float up hill just buy that boat and load it in

brookledge
05-21-2008, 06:29 PM
See that boat has many uses
Keith

Brent
05-25-2008, 07:50 PM
I figure someone out there, likely at Leader, nows how to make syrup go uphill.

Their canner has the port on the side. Why wouldn't they put it on the bottom. You know how much syrup sits in the bottom of 18" x 24"???
If you've got the water jacket model it ain't easy to tip it when it's full.
If you're putting it on a table instead of a framed stand, just drill a hole in the table.

Sorry for rant ... just a pet peeve these days

mapleack
05-25-2008, 10:43 PM
No kidding about the drawoff port being on the side of the canner. I keep a high tech piece of 2x4 around to put under the back end of the canner when it gets low! On the other hand, I bought a 16x32 leader finisher this year, the drawoff is on the bottom and I love it!

brookledge
05-26-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm sure that if you want the valve to be on the bottom vs. the side most manufactuers would custom make it for the same price just as long as they are given plenty of lead time.
I know when I ordered my evaporator I had to specify which side I wanted the sap to come in on, the side for the draw off and which way I wanted the fire box door to swing.
Most of the applications for the canning units are probably all on the side so that is the standard way they are made. So if you want one on the bottom just ask and you may be supprised they might do it for the same price.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
05-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Putting the drawoff on the bottmp causes two problems 1 is making a frame that will not interfer with the drawoff pipe. 2 having the draoff on the bottom puts if in the heat chamber and you will burn the small amount of sap that gets stuck in the pipe. We made up a bottom draw and smoked up a batch of syrup and never tried again. The finished syrup didnt want circulate in the pipe so it went from syrup to grud in seconds. If you keep that section of the finish pan or canner out of the heat then you would be ok.