PDA

View Full Version : LaPierre Vacuum power sap pump

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Lapierre Vacuum powered sap pumps? I have several areas that are a long ways back and am intrigued by the idea of the sap being pumped to the sugarhouse instead of dealing with the time and difficulty of a mile of mud road. Specifically would the pump be able to move sap 4500 feet with a 55 foot head?
Thanks,
Doug

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-14-2008, 08:56 PM
post edited

Mike
05-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Can you use a vacuum pump?????

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-15-2008, 08:36 AM
post edited

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks Governor,
That is more info than I had. Had a dealer telling me it would pump 200ft straight up...needless to say I was doubtful of that claim. Any idea of the cfm it will take to operate? Seems to me it might mean I should go to a bigger vacuum pump.
Doug

royalmaple
05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
How much are these now?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
post edited

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I tried the website, not helpful at all. I am trying to set up another 1000 to 1400 taps on vacuum but I need to be able to get the sap to the sugarhouse without hauling it. Not enough labor or time. Besides the horses get very worn out trying to haul 4 trips through a mile of mud on a good sap run. The pumps are kind of spendy but a series of three of them equipped with float activated switches, could conceivably lift the sap 200 feet and push it about a mile in total. Don't think it would pay for itself the first year but if I'm stubborn enough to keep at it for a few years, the savings in labor and time could certainly mount up.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-15-2008, 07:41 PM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-15-2008, 07:47 PM
post edited

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-16-2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks Gov,
I have a hydrovac on 1000 + taps in my front bush. Had a problem this year with the sap pump keeping its priming. Nothing worse than realizing there is no sap coming, going to the pump and finding the tank running over and the pump running madly doing nothing. If I could do this with the hydrovac (lift is 55 feet and distance 5600 ft) I might move that pump and install the new liquid ring at the front bush. I'll call my D&G dealer and see what he has to say.

Jeff E
06-16-2008, 10:55 AM
I have a similar situation, where I have 2 collection points, 1 600' from the sugar house and another 1100' from the sugar house. each about 20' below in elevation.

I am planning a single vacuum pump, located at the house (electric) and running a vacuum line, a sap line, and electrical wire to each collection point. Vacuum to a releaser, electric to a pump, and sap line to transfer sap from the releaser dump tank back to the sugar house.

Seems reasonable. The unknown for me at this point is pump electrical needs and wire size. I will have about 1000 taps dumping to each collection point next year, and expanding in the future.

Thoughts?

PATheron
06-17-2008, 04:45 AM
Jeff- I have to do pretty much the same thing myself. Ive kind of decided that what your describing would be the most reliable method too. Im thinking at the remote location Ill put a bulktank just in case the pump line is froze then if the sap is running I wont loose it. Ive got a guy at work that is really sharp on figuring stuff like that. Ill give him the numbers and see if we can figure out the pump and wire size for you if you want. Your going to be having 1000 taps per spot and lifting 20'? Ive thought about using one of the vac pumps in liew of an electric one but I think im going to run the wire so I dont rob cfm's. Still not sure on my setup for sure. I want to have Jerry come look at it and give me his opinion. Theron

Jeff E
06-17-2008, 08:02 AM
I stopped by another sugar bush last night, a reliable, productive set up, and he has 12-2 outdoor wire going out to his remote pumps. Seems light, but I like the price of 12-2 compared to #4 or #6 wire!!!

Haynes Forest Products
06-17-2008, 07:38 PM
In 91 I insalled Direct bury 10-2 and had it laying on the ground in the woods and its now under about 4" of dirt and sticks and crap. The mice and squirls dont bother it. The bigger the wire the better for the motor. If the wire is under size the motor will run hot and will burn out. I ran a radial arm saw on a long extension cord and burned up the motor in about an hour. spend the money you wont be sorry.

Big maple
06-18-2008, 06:22 PM
At our first sugarbush we have just about the same set up 1100 or so and every thing drains to the back valley it's about 400 feet away from our bulk tank and a 20 foot rise. We use a Gilles Bernard electric releaser with a TSC shallow well pump a water separator made from 6" pvc and Vacuum pump #4Z470 fro Grainger it has not failed in 4 years. with a tight well maintaind system it will easily keep 22". Only trouble is you have to manualy start and stop it and drain everything when the slush starts coming. If you get me motor specs and distances I can do the calculations for your wire sizing jake