PDA

View Full Version : Sap transfer.

Al
05-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I asked about this set up a couple of years ago and lost the link. I have a square tank in a trailer and it's pretty high up lately!!! So I will need a 12 volt sump pump with a float, a battery and some tubing. Can I put a in-line filter on something like that or just keep filtering thru the opening on the tank. I filter my sap when I collect it. I haven't put an in-line at the sugar house because my pump pushs sap pretty fast and I worry about a clog up.
If you can't tell I know less about pumps then syrup.
How long will a battery last? Is it something I should recharge after every use?
I'm going up to 160 buckets next year. This may replace a new woodshed with my budget limits.

Valley View Sugarhouse
05-12-2008, 05:54 PM
If you are using a 12 volt bilge pump, then I would very strongly recomend not putting a inline filter in, They are made to move a pretty large amount of liquit (but with no head preasure). They will not push it through, and will probabley burn out..

Haynes Forest Products
05-12-2008, 06:29 PM
When I first set up my sap hauler we used a gas powerd pump (old briggs with rope start) so we went to a 12 volt bilge pump with a deep cycle battery with on off switchthat we droped into the collection tank worked better but was slow. We ran a wire from the truck battery to the sap hauler battery and ran the truck when pumping. Having the wire run threw the trailer plug we could keep it charged at all times. On your trailer plug if you have lights and use a round plug there is a post just for this option run the biggest wire that will fit in the plug. I dont think you will kill the bat if you charge as you go and run the truck as you pump a good deep cycle battery will run a trolling moter a long time alot longer than filling you tank. We have gone to a newer gas powerd pump from Lowes about 225.00 and it works alot faster. If you go the 12 volt route i would use a sump type pump more GPMs. Are you pumping up from a small low tank that your dumping buckets into or are you sucking from tanks in the bush. About the filter if your worried about clogging use a inline screen filter they wont clog that quick and they wont restrict the flow on a pump of this type go to a sprinkler supply and go with a 1 1/4 there cheap 25.00. if your using this to suck out of tanks put a check valve as close to the end of your suction tube that way you dont loose all the sap from your suction line. Just make sure you drain at the end of the day so you dont freez ethe setup

Haynes Forest Products
05-12-2008, 06:41 PM
you could make this set up with pump ,filter ,battery, hose wire for 250.00 if you shop the pump on ebay. If you run a no. 4 wire from you truck you can elminate the battery. The best transfer tank is a beer keg make sure that you leave part of the top lip on the keg so sap wont splash out as you pull the trailer around with small amounts in it. The pump wont kick in unless you set the float on the low side